Game thread Friday September 7

29andPoplar

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, everyone is talking about how Cintron won't be back, but we want to make Gonzalez the utility player. My problem is that Gonzalez is so bad defensively, and he's bad offensively. Just cause you can bring a couple of gloves to the game, it doesn't mean you should be on a team's roster. I really hope neither of the guys are on the roster next year, and we find a way to get a better defensive utility player.

I agree, I have seen enough of both. They need a better defensive player to fulfill that role.

I'm honestly asking, can someone explain to me why Fields isn't getting every rep at 3B for the rest of the year? He needs all the reps he can there, and he has been no worse defensively than Braun or Ryan Zimmerman. IF Crede proves he's healthy and capable of manning 3B this offseason then you have the entire spring training to put Fields in LF to learn. I just don't get it.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 8, 2007 -> 02:53 AM)
I'm honestly asking, can someone explain to me why Fields isn't getting every rep at 3B for the rest of the year? He needs all the reps he can there, and he has been no worse defensively than Braun or Ryan Zimmerman. IF Crede proves he's healthy and capable of manning 3B this offseason then you have the entire spring training to put Fields in LF to learn. I just don't get it.

Zimmerman was supposed to be an all-world defender....looks to me like he's gotten a little fat and his throws have been brutal.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:53 PM)

For me, it is more comforting to have Fields in left. Reassures me more that Crede will be back at third. And who cares about winning these games. We are going to have enough pieces up in the air to start next year. The more Fields plays in left, the smaller his learning curve to man the position professionally at the start of 2008.

Yes I can try to explain it although I too believe they should have left Fields at 3B and figure out the Crede stuff when the time comes.

They wanted to get Fields some left field time and reps in major league stadiums with major league lighting, crowds, and so on.

Getting reps in Tucson is, shall we say, a little different. It would not give him the true experience of playing LF in the big leagues.

Soounds odd, but that's the reason.

Anyone else find it rather coincidental that all night Comcast had featured velocity readings for pitchers, yet, when Broadway pitched nothing was shown? I don't. Now it's back on for DePaula.

You think it's a conspiracy of some sort, or they are trying to hide something? Not sure what you mean.

They wanted to get Fields some left field time and reps in major league stadiums with major league lighting, crowds, and so on.

Getting reps in Tucson is, shall we say, a little different. It would not give him the true experience of playing LF in the big leagues.

I can somewhat see it. But in spring training this year I know we had 10,000-11,500(capacity) at the games I was attending. Though they were playing under the scorching daylight sun instead of nightlights, if they want to make that the main sticking point.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
You think it's a conspiracy of some sort, or they are trying to hide something? Not sure what you mean.

I can only assume the purpose would have been to hide his velocity. Although I also understand if anyone is interested in Broadway they'll have scouts on hand with their own radar guns.

If not, what else could possibly explain consistent radar showing ALL night expect for Broadway? Am I supposed to believe the person responsible took a bathroom break and there's nothing more to it? I recall last season how, mysteriously, certain Freddy Garcia starts didn't have a radar gun available either.

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Sep 7, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
Maybe he thought they were bringing in Phillips again. So ........ what was your first impression of Broadway.

His stuff looking much more crisp than I ever saw at Charlotte, and gameday on MLB had him at 92 to 94, with an 84 changeup to strike out the 2nd batter. Maybe it was just adrenaline, but the pitches he threw looked good.

I can somewhat see it. But in spring training this year I know we had 10,000-11,500(capacity) at the games I was attending. Though they were playing under the scorching daylight sun instead of nightlights, if they want to make that the main sticking point.

Yeah I know it sounds weird but it is as ottawa said, they want to get him as many reps as possible in LF and the sky in Tucson is unlike anything he'd see in the majors, among other variables.