Jim Thome DH .271
Jermaine Dye RF .252
AJ Pierzynski C .268
Darin Erstad 1B .259
Juan Uribe SS .226
Danny Richar 2B .207
Andy Gonzalez 3B .204
  Gavin Floyd (1-2, 6.20)

Umpires: HP: Paul Nauert. 1B: Rob Drake. 2B: Gerry Davis. 3B: Brian Gorman.

The game time has been pushed back to about 7:20 due to the drizzle.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:11 PM)
s***, no, please have this game. I was really hoping that Gavin would jumpstart Hafner.

You know, the more I read stuff like this, the more I am starting to understand the posters that are frustrated with the whole "get the number one pick" thing. Not that I care too much one way or the other about games now, or that I don't want a high pick. But for crying out loud, why is it so hard for people to have the patience to see what this guy can do? He's had 3 of his last 4 starts go very well, and even with the bad one he is sporting a 4.50 ERA. I think some of you are way more interested in being right about your hunches than you are about the team or its future being good.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
You know, the more I read stuff like this, the more I am starting to understand the posters that are frustrated with the whole "get the number one pick" thing. Not that I care too much one way or the other about games now, or that I don't want a high pick. But for crying out loud, why is it so hard for people to have the patience to see what this guy can do? He's had 3 of his last 4 starts go very well, and even with the bad one he is sporting a 4.50 ERA. I think some of you are way more interested in being right about your hunches than you are about the team or its future being good.

Haha, he struck Hafner out.

Relax killer, I was making a funny. I still don't think Gavin is good at all and even now with four straight "good" starts he's got a 6+ ERA, and I've seen enough of him. Ozzie seems to have, too, the way he talks about him when he does. But yeah, even if we're talking about "seeing what he can do" and "caring about being right instead of the team's future," even you and the other Floyd supporters(of varying respects) understand that Floyd's future is a fifth starter at best. If we're counting on him to be anything more something has gone terribly wrong.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:36 PM)
So five minutes after a thrown away DP ball, Hawk just goes, "Yeeee-esuh," and then talks about how happy he is because you've got to be happy after a team this "inept" finally makes good with the bases loaded. Ha ha.

Yeah, Hawk was just saying the Sox have 9 SF's for the entire year as a club. Is that right? That really is pathetic.

And I agree by the way that Floyd's top end, at this point, is probably a 5th starter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Question for the board....is Richar playing himself out of a starting spot for next year?

No. It's his job to lose. He's played good D. And everyone likes his "potential." (I don't have a positive view of Richar but it does no harm to let him play it out.)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
No. It's his job to lose. He's played good D. And everyone likes his "potential." (I don't have a positive view of Richar but it does no harm to let him play it out.)

His defense has been average. He seems to be streaky in the field, which is something we read about in the scouting report.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
Depends on which direction they go this off-season. If they add a competent SS and CF, then you can get away with having Richar at 2b, batting 9th. If Uribe is still in the lineup in 2008, with Owens some where in the lineup, Utley better be batting 2nd or 3rd. :)

He also has not had a lot of formal instruction, so 'streaky' at this stage might be somewhat forgiveable. With his natural abilities and lots of reps at second, who knows.

P.S. I was trying to respond to Fathoms question. Must have pushed the wrong reply button.

Edited by ottawa_sox

I find it funny that Richar was making contact with everything. Then all of a sudden he started hitting with power, and his K's went up. I wonder why that is.

I would rather keep Richar and get someone who can help him and the rest of the team put better ABs together. The kid has the tools. Just the instruction might be lacking.

Edited by southsideirish71

Andy Gonzalez belongs nowhere near a major league field, PERIOD. The guy just isn't any good. He'd be a kickass player in the local softball league and can even probably play an average minor league baseball, but the fact he is on our major league team is simply sad.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
Andy Gonzalez belongs nowhere near a major league field, PERIOD. The guy just isn't any good. He'd be a kickass player in the local softball league and can even probably play an average minor league baseball, but the fact he is on our major league team is simply sad.

White Sox 2 - Sox third basemen 1