White Sox V Cleveland

TLAK

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:46 PM)
Floyd has a nice two-seamer working tonight, but I have to say I'm a little dissappointed that his fastball is only topping out at 89 on the Comcast gun. If he pitches another scoreless inning or two, I think he'll actually pass Danks in ERA...

Who knows what to think of these guns. Gameday has him topping out at 94.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:04 PM)
maybe he just mentioned eckstein because the Cardinals are in town to play the Cubs.

hope.

our defense is soooooo bad.

Fields couldn't even throw the ball to the cutoff man in the infield on the fly.

if Crede doesn't come back next season, we're hosed.

Fields' arm is not that weak - its pouring rain out there. And you can't really translate his LF play to 3B play anyway. Crede is still a better defender (assuming he is healthy), but its not as if Fields is a butcher out there like Gonzalez or Cintron.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
maybe he just mentioned eckstein because the Cardinals are in town to play the Cubs.

hope.

our defense is soooooo bad.

Fields couldn't even throw the ball to the cutoff man in the infield on the fly.

if Crede doesn't come back next season, we're hosed.

I really haven't seen many games this year. Are you suggesting Fields has a bad arm. How does a major college football quarterback have a noodle baseball arm?

I'm simply saying that Fields made a terrible throw on that ball.

He bounced it to Gonzalez from medium left field.

Because of his inexperience in left field, he looked bad. Different throwing motion from left field than third base.

If he is going to play lfield next season, which seems likely, he's going to need a lot of work out there.

having him in left and owens in center, teams are going to run, run, run on us.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)

Because of his inexperience in left field, he looked bad. Different throwing motion from left field than third base.

If he is going to play lfield next season, which seems likely, he's going to need a lot of work out there.

When I think of the arms we have featured in left over the years, I've got to believe Fields will be an upgrade.

QUOTE(G&T @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:48 AM)
Uh...did Hawk just say that David Eckstein is the biggest over achiever he'd ever seen? While it might be true, it gets me thinking when he starts praising players that aren't playing in the game.

It gets me scared to death about our offseason.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 09:11 PM)

Pulling a wet ball out of your wet mitt and then making a relay throw is a bit harder than you think. If it was dry and he screwed the pooch sure give him hell. But when it is raining. Andy however not making the relay was just baseball dumb.

With a handful of arms that we aren't quite sure about, I think my plan for the offseason has changed a bit. I now want both Garland and Contreras traded, and two of Floyd/Haeger/Egbert/Gonzalez to take over the fourth and fifth spots. I understand the potential for disaster is there, especially since you're moving an above average #5 starter in Danks into a spot where he becomes below average (#3), but the 2008 season is going to be a gamble anyways. Trade Garland and Contreras for a combination of your 2008 SS and prospects, sign one of those CFers (Bradley, Jones, Cameron, Rowand/Hunter in that order), let Crede take third, put Fields in left and hope to hell that you can mash the crap out of teams (and that your bullpen bounces back big time).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 07:31 PM)
With a handful of arms that we aren't quite sure about, I think my plan for the offseason has changed a bit. I now want both Garland and Contreras traded, and two of Floyd/Haeger/Egbert/Gonzalez to take over the fourth and fifth spots. I understand the potential for disaster is there, especially since you're moving an above average #5 starter in Danks into a spot where he becomes below average (#3), but the 2008 season is going to be a gamble anyways. Trade Garland and Contreras for a combination of your 2008 SS and prospects, sign one of those CFers (Bradley, Jones, Cameron, Rowand/Hunter in that order), let Crede take third, put Fields in left and hope to hell that you can mash the crap out of teams (and that your bullpen bounces back big time).

Unfortunately, I still think it's going to be impossible to trade Jose without the Sox picking up at least 1/3 of his contract, which is probably just a silly thing to do, given that we'd be still getting virtually nothing back. I think it's highly, highly likely that our starting 5 to open next year is Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras, Danks, Floyd.