White Sox V Cleveland

TLAK

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:52 AM)
UPDATED STANDINGS

Tampa Bay 61-83 - GB

Chicago 61-83 - GB

Florida 61-83 - GB

Baltimore 61-81 1.5 GB

Kansas City 62-81 1.5 GB

Houston 62-81 1.5 GB

Pittsburgh 64-80 3 GB

Washington 65-79 4 GB

San Francisco 65-79 4 GB

Texas 68-74 8 GB

Oakland 70-75 8.5 GB

Jesus. I didn't realize it was this close. A stretch of 5 wins over 7 games and we could go from 1st place to 7th or 8th.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:55 AM)
Jesus. I didn't realize it was this close. A stretch of 5 wins over 7 games and we could go from 1st place to 7th or 8th.

Well the offense wont improve too much. Greg is already working on the 08 attack. He doesnt want to work with Fields because his swing got him here, and he wants Fields to be Fields.

Myers getting innings is beyond confusing.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
Who'd you rather draft...Matt Bush or Josh Fields??? (Bush was the #1 overall pick that year).

C'mon now. Matt Bush was a pick that just about everybody criticized at the time. I don't remember ANYONE saying Bush was close to being the best player available that year.

It's really a shame that they booted up the Soxfest prices -- I'd love to ask Kenny a question this year.

"Mr Williams -- with the Sox having the first overall pick in the upcoming draft , will the organization be willing to pony up the money for the best overall player, even if it means going significantly over slot?"

What's the downside to having the #1 pick? At least with the top pick in the draft, as opposed to the #9 pick (which you seem to want) you can draft who you want. If the Sox feel there is one player who is head and shoulders better than all the rest then they can, no matter what, select him if they have the top pick. You don't have that luxury at #9.

Winning these games does nothing for the future of the ballclub, having the top pick in the draft adds an insanely talented position player to an incredibly weak farm system, the #9 pick adds Jordan Danks.

Just imagine having Justin Upton patrolling CF for the Sox this season, how f***ing sexy would that be? Just imagine the trade value a #1 draft pick has if he's able to put together 2 very good seasons to start off his pro career.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:54 AM)
Geeze...Joe Blanton could have been the Sox. I'd just as well have the additional wins (IIRC the Sox were pretty damn good during the early 2000's even if they missed the playoffs) and that still put them in position to draft Blanton.

Sox just made a s***ty draft choice (which has been done).

Who'd you rather draft...Matt Bush or Josh Fields??? (Bush was the #1 overall pick that year).

It's not about who you pick....it's who you have the chance to pick. As someone else on this site said, what if there's one person that the Sox want more than anyone in the 2008 draft. Well, if this team happens to get the 1st pick, then they can take him without having another team take the player they want. I'd much rather they have that option than 2 or 3 meaningless wins.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 12:58 AM)
C'mon now. Matt Bush was a pick that just about everybody criticized at the time. I don't remember ANYONE saying Bush was close to being the best player available that year.

It's really a shame that they booted up the Soxfest prices -- I'd love to ask Kenny a question this year.

"Mr Williams -- with the Sox having the first overall pick in the upcoming draft , will the organization be willing to pony up the money for the best overall player, even if it means going significantly over slot?"

Actually its..

"Mr Williams, with the Sox having the first overall pick in the upcoming draft, how will you justify picking someone slated for the late first round. You have heard of the top 5 guys like Alvarez right. You haven't got your blinders on just to get someone you are infatuated with right you know a certain relative of your 5th starter correct.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 05:51 AM)
To give up like many of you did with 5 or so weeks left ... to write off each and every game

is amazing to me.

You seem to almost be blaming some of us for this team being horrible. Right now blame the manager (who I know you think is amazing), the coaching staff, the GM, and the players? I think there's a lot more Sox fans that hate the Cubs than Cubs fans that hate the Sox.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 10:58 PM)

Bush was definitely a top 5 pick though. Was he a reach as the #1 overall yes, but that isn't the first time thats happened.

And I should say I'm not saying I have a problem with the #1 pick but I see more value in this team winning with young players than it continuing to lose. If they end up losing and the club gets the #1 pick fine, but if Floyd/Danks and the rest of the starters pitch well and AJ/Dye/Konerko/Thome/Richar/Fields/Owens all play well (more so the younger guys) and this team gets on a roll than awesome.

As someone whose placed baseball very competively (prior to hurting my arm..and my high school did suck so it wasn't like we were competing for titles or anything) but winning is always key. It helps with your development, hell its part of your development (good teams learn how to win and find ways to win while bad teams do the opposite).

I'd like our young players to see what it takes and do what it takes to WIN at the major league level. I also think more wins means that our young guys have produced and I think them producing makes it more likely that they are legit and that alone should help the Sox next year and over the course of the next few years.

And in terms of picks...the best pick in the draft is rarely the #1 overall pick, so to me I know for sure if you win an extra ten games there is probably good reasons for the team winning more (and those things could very well likely carry over) and I don't know that the #1 pick will make a difference (compared with the #4 or #5 pick).

The only time I would say different is if we were talking about a guarantee at Lebron James or something along those lines in the NBA (and in that case its the lottery which makes that a crapshoot).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:02 AM)
Actually its..

"Mr Williams, with the Sox having the first overall pick in the upcoming draft, how will you justify picking someone slated for the late first round. You have heard of the top 5 guys like Alvarez right. You haven't got your blinders on just to get someone you are infatuated with right you know a certain relative of your 5th starter correct.

Dear Mr. SSI:

The reason that we selected Jordan Danks with the first pick in the draft was due to how he performed in the Cape Cod League. Our scouts thought his skills were projectable, and he's the player we wanted to draft. We tried very hard to sign him out of high school, but he went on to have a great career at Texas. Jordan has a lot of baseball smarts, and we're excited to have him team up with his brother.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:04 AM)
Bush was definitely a top 5 pick though. Was he a reach as the #1 overall yes, but that isn't the first time thats happened.

And I should say I'm not saying I have a problem with the #1 pick but I see more value in this team winning with young players than it continuing to lose. If they end up losing and the club gets the #1 pick fine, but if Floyd/Danks and the rest of the starters pitch well and AJ/Dye/Konerko/Thome/Richar/Fields/Owens all play well (more so the younger guys) and this team gets on a roll than awesome.

As someone whose placed baseball very competively (prior to hurting my arm..and my high school did suck so it wasn't like we were competing for titles or anything) but winning is always key. It helps with your development, hell its part of your development (good teams learn how to win and find ways to win while bad teams do the opposite).

I'd like our young players to see what it takes and do what it takes to WIN at the major league level. I also think more wins means that our young guys have produced and I think them producing makes it more likely that they are legit and that alone should help the Sox next year and over the course of the next few years.

And in terms of picks...the best pick in the draft is rarely the #1 overall pick, so to me I know for sure if you win an extra ten games there is probably good reasons for the team winning more (and those things could very well likely carry over) and I don't know that the #1 pick will make a difference (compared with the #4 or #5 pick).

The only time I would say different is if we were talking about a guarantee at Lebron James or something along those lines in the NBA (and in that case its the lottery which makes that a crapshoot).

Why can't we be happy when Floyd does pitch well, and then a 38 year old pitcher gets the loss? None of us are hoping this team loses 10-0 every game. That Red Sox series was awful. We want to see every young player do well, but the team just barely lose.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
Dear Mr. SSI:

The reason that we selected Jordan Danks with the first pick in the draft was due to how he performed in the Cape Cod League. Our scouts thought his skills were projectable, and he's the player we wanted to draft. We tried very hard to sign him out of high school, but he went on to have a great career at Texas. Jordan has a lot of baseball smarts, and we're excited to have him team up with his brother.

If Danks has just a decent season and slips, he could very well be there in Round 2. Just liek if he has a great season he probably goes top 15, maybe top 10.

I call BS too, cause i don't see the Sox taking Danks over far superior prospects. I have no doubt they take Danks later on if he's there (2nd round or later) but not before (Unless he has a stud season and in which case he may be worthy of being picked at that spot).

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
Why can't we be happy when Floyd does pitch well, and then a 38 year old pitcher gets the loss? None of us are hoping this team loses 10-0 every game. That Red Sox series was awful. We want to see every young player do well, but the team just barely lose.

Like I said, I don't mind games like tonight but I'm also not going to hope for them to lose games. I'd rather see Floyd get major league wins because I think that helps his confidence and in turn helps him hopefully become a long term option for the clubs rotation (and one that can help the Sox turn things around).

However, I also have no problem if Cintron/Gonzalez (who I can't stand, although if he does good I tip my cap and I don't see a problem playing him cause you might as well see all you can) Pods/Erstad stink (although I think both Pods/Erstad play hard and I respect them for that) just to make sure that none our on the major league roster next year (same can be said for Uribe) because I feel all those guys stinking is best for the team (same for Mike the Horrible Myers and Ryan Bukvich).

FWIW, the main reason I'm so big on having the 1st pick is due to the reports I had from a first-hand source at the Team USA tournament a few months ago. The reports said that Pedro Alvarez was far and away the best player, and it wasn't even close. The report also said that Danks was god awful, and Smauk is nothing special.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 10, 2007 -> 11:10 PM)
FWIW, the main reason I'm so big on having the 1st pick is due to the reports I had from a first-hand source at the Team USA tournament a few months ago. The reports said that Pedro Alvarez was far and away the best player, and it wasn't even close. The report also said that Danks was god awful, and Smauk is nothing special.

I still say usually the draft is at least 10 deep (in terms of really good first round picks). Ocassionally that doesn't hold true but I really don't typically see a massive difference talent wise between the top few picks (that may not be the case this year as I tend to think Alvarez seems to be a very safe pick who also has a lot of upside).

Still, you have the college season to play and you'll have plenty of prep players moving up and down on the boards. A lot can happen between now and draft day.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:11 AM)
So once again I couldn't watch Gavin pitch. How'd he look? Stats look good again(3 straight Quality starts; 4 of 5 as well). It'd be huge if he can take a spot in the rotation next season.

From the part I saw, it was the best he's looked. It actually seemed like he wasn't throwing a lot of pitches right down the plate.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:04 AM)

Well in terms of the MLB, and from what I've read from scouts and rankings of prospects, Alvarez is "supposedly" as close of a Pujols/A-Rod from the left side as it gets.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:10 AM)

What about Crawford and Matusz? (I know he's not a position prospect but still) Just curious BTW.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 06:13 AM)
Well in terms of the NFL, and from what I've read from scouts and rankings of prospects, Alvarez is "supposedly" as close of a Pujols/A-Rod from the left side as it gets.

You draft Alvarez, and he automatically becomes the top prospect in the organization.

On a sidenote, I want to point out I don't have a problem with anyone rooting for the club to lose. I understand all about the top pick. I'm also trying to throw out other points so you guys get an idea of where those that may not be rooting for the club to lose are coming from.

I basically take the approach if they lose, fine, top pick here they come, but if they win I see the added benefit in terms of player development that could come with those wins (since typically when you win its because you've played well and if young players play well its a good sign of your future as you may actually have a couple young players that will turn into quality major league players).

I'm not about to care much either way, unless of course we have some significant injuries. All I care about is if the young players play well and I hope vets play well to raise trade value.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)
On a sidenote, I want to point out I don't have a problem with anyone rooting for the club to lose. I understand all about the top pick. I'm also trying to throw out other points so you guys get an idea of where those that may not be rooting for the club to lose are coming from.

I basically take the approach if they lose, fine, top pick here they come, but if they win I see the added benefit in terms of player development that could come with those wins (since typically when you win its because you've played well and if young players play well its a good sign of your future as you may actually have a couple young players that will turn into quality major league players).

I'm not about to care much either way, unless of course we have some significant injuries. All I care about is if the young players play well and I hope vets play well to raise trade value.

Jas, I can guarantee you that all of us who want to see the losses here are wanting to see these young players step up. That's all I care about right now with this team. Any time I check the boxscore I go basically directly to check what Josh and Richar did. Tonight all I cared about was how Gavin did. We might be rooting for losses but we can still root for the individuals to perform well.

Number one picks overall

2000 Adrian Gonzales

2001 Joe Mauer

2002 Bryan Burlington Pirates a dirt dirt cheap organization

2003 Delmon Young

2004 Matt Bush

2005 Justin Upton

2006 Luke Hoechvar Cheap move, the better move was to pick up Andrew Miller.

2007 David Price

That still looks like a pretty good list.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:16 AM)

To me, the wins are secondary to our young kids getting experience. I would rather get game experience and find out about our young kids over a few measley wins in September on this season. Tonight watching Gavin pitch, watching Richar and Fields and Owens is what I am watching right now. If they win, great. If they lose, oh well.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 11, 2007 -> 01:20 AM)
Number one picks overall

2000 Adrian Gonzales

2001 Joe Mauer

2002 Bryan Burlington Pirates a dirt dirt cheap organization

2003 Delmon Young

2004 Matt Bush

2005 Justin Upton

2006 Luke Hoechvar Cheap move, the better move was to pick up Andrew Miller.

2007 David Price

That still looks like a pretty good list.

Yeah in '04, Verlander and the Rice trio were pretty universally ranked ahead of Bush, who was a mid-round talent.

In 2002, Upton was viewed as the best HS position player by a good margin. Though I don't really recall whether he was a consensus #1.