Chi Sox vs. K.C Royals

kman

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 07:42 PM)
You can normally find a good part to anyone's season... come on, are you serious?

He's played in the big leagues for less than 2 months. He has 146 career big league at bats. The last 55 of them...he's put up a .945 OPS. That's EXACTLY what we needed to see him do. He was bound to be terrible to start off. He's actually growing into the league faster than I thought.

Everyone, say hi to your starting 2nd baseman next April.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Juan Uribe's September stats: .340, 1.061 OPS, 4 HR in 50 AB.

You want him back too?

If Juan were a 24 year old with less than 170 major league ABs, making the league minimum that would be a resounding yes.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
Juan Uribe's September stats: .340, 1.061 OPS, 4 HR in 50 AB.

You want him back too?

Are you seriously telling me you're somehow unhappy with the job Richar is doing at adapting to the league, and using as your argument a comparison between a guy with 3071 major league at bats and a guy with 144 major league at bats?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
Are you seriously telling me you're somehow unhappy with the job Richar is doing at adapting to the league, and using as your argument a comparison between a guy with 3071 major league at bats and a guy with 144 major league at bats?

The problem with Richar's success is it can't be relied upon. He's had some decent games recently after being horrible for a while. He's playing in meaningless games. There's no way around it. Even KW didn't want to have to evaluate him in September. Its an industry wide cardinal rule, don't give guys jobs based on September numbers. Its not to say that he won't be good some day, maybe even next year, but don't get too excited if he starts lighting it up right now. If he's turning a corner, it may be the same one KW saw Aardsma and Masset turn last season.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:03 PM)
The problem with Richar's success is it can't be relied upon. He's had some decent games recently after being horrible for a while. He's playing in meaningless games. There's no way around it. Even KW didn't want to have to evaluate him in September. Its an industry wide cardinal rule, don't give guys jobs based on September numbers. Its not to say that he won't be good some day, maybe even next year, but don't get too excited if he starts lighting it up right now. If he's turning a corner, it may be the same one KW saw Aardsma and Masset turn last season.

We need to platoon him with someone next year.

One thing key for Fields in the future: work on pulling fastballs, just ripping them. He's hit a ton of opposite field shots (I didn't see his homer today or yesterday, so I don't know where they are) but those homers will go down as people realize, "Hey, he can hardly get around on an inside fastball. That's where you pitch him" and then his game completely dies.

As for Richar, I'm not sure about him. I wish him luck and will wait and see. Same with Fields, really, but I've got significant concerns about him + fastballs/inside.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:07 PM)
We need to platoon him with someone next year.

He actually has a higher OPS against lefties this season than he does righties. Not that it means anything really but it is odd none the less.

He'll be 25 next season, making league minimum, playing the least important defensive position on the field and probably batting 9th. If I'm KW I'm not all that worried about his production for next season. He'll save you a few million dollars, play some very nice defense, learn on the job and there's always the possibility that he does reach some of that potential in a starting role and you have one hell of a player on your hands.

Not everyone on the roster needs to make $4M+ and put up gaudy numbers, those young league minimum guys are very important to have.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:11 PM)
One thing key for Fields in the future: work on pulling fastballs, just ripping them. He's hit a ton of opposite field shots (I didn't see his homer today or yesterday, so I don't know where they are) but those homers will go down as people realize, "Hey, he can hardly get around on an inside fastball. That's where you pitch him" and then his game completely dies.

As for Richar, I'm not sure about him. I wish him luck and will wait and see. Same with Fields, really, but I've got significant concerns about him + fastballs/inside.

I posted this the other day,I was sitting right behind the White Sox on deck circle Friday and Fields has a very short and quick stroke when he's there, it just gets real long when he steps up to the plate. I don't know if it can be corrected, but if he could take the short stroke with him to the plate, he'd do a lot more damage, and walk back to the dugout a lot less.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
Well, hopefully Pablo will be around...but I think Danny is going to make you guys regret doubting him.

Danny getting 100% of the ABs vs righties and 40-50% of the ABs vs lefties and Pablo picking up the slack would be a very nice platoon. Danny's going to need ABs vs lefties though in order to develop properly.

QUOTE(Whitewashed in '05 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
:o

I still love the "one player failed, therefore all players can be compared to him and are guaranteed to fail" logic.

Here, let me turn that around...I certainly hope this young Pujols we have proves you guys wrong! Just about as fair.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 17, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
I still love the "one player failed, therefore all players can be compared to him and are guaranteed to fail" logic.

Here, let me turn that around...I certainly hope this young Pujols we have proves you guys wrong! Just about as fair.

Lol take it easy man. I wasn't insinuating anything or comparing anyone, just a joke.