The Battle For Last Place in the AL Central

SoxAce

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
Here's my brand of "logic and reason": With the top pick you can take whoever you want, no limitations at all. With the #9 pick you can take anyone you want except the 8 players who were drafted before your turn to choose. So with the top pick you have unlimited flexibility but with any pick after that you're limited in your choices more and more.

IMO having greater flexibility in the selection of talent is an outstanding card to hold. Being handcuffed is not fun.

But what if others have made stupid decisions in front of you.

SAM BOWIE!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 19, 2007 -> 11:05 PM)
Here's my brand of "logic and reason": With the top pick you can take whoever you want, no limitations at all. With the #9 pick you can take anyone you want except the 8 players who were drafted before your turn to choose. So with the top pick you have unlimited flexibility but with any pick after that you're limited in your choices more and more.

IMO having greater flexibility in the selection of talent is an outstanding card to hold. Being handcuffed is not fun.

And my friend you fight a good fight...outside of the exasperation. The flaw in your reasoning though is...assuming your #1 choice is the best choice. So they bring out the dessert tray after dinner and show you the piece of cake, the piece of pie and the ice cream. One of them is great the other two are crap. Not even the waiter knows which one is going to be great...even if you bribe him. Even if the agent for the Cake is Scott Boras. Chosing first, second or third doesn't affect your odds of getting the good dessert. It makes you FEEL like you are in control. But it doesn't really improve your odds. Hell the great dessert might just be the fruitcake being picked in the 17th round. So just stop worrying about how good the dessert is going to be and have enjoy the dinner rolls. (By the way...it was the pie).

And my friend you fight a good fight...outside of the exasperation. The flaw in your reasoning though is...assuming your #1 choice is the best choice. So they bring out the dessert tray after dinner and show you the piece of cake, the piece of pie and the ice cream. One of them is great the other two are crap. Not even the waiter knows which one is going to be great...even if you bribe him. Even if the agent for the Cake is Scott Boras. Chosing first, second or third doesn't affect your odds of getting the good dessert. It makes you FEEL like you are in control. But it doesn't really improve your odds. Hell the great dessert might just be the fruitcake being picked in the 17th round. So just stop worrying about how good the dessert is going to be and have enjoy the dinner rolls. (By the way...it was the pie).

I nominate this for post of the century.

Amen brotha.

I think the gist of the whole argument has to do with selection and signability. With the #1 pick the White Sox can select an impact guy that is signable as well. They will shy away from the Jared Weaver's and JD Drew's as will 20 other teams. I am not sure if this is right or wrong but they will have the highest revenue stream of any tema in front of them unless Houston or San Fran pass them. Therefore they may still have a look at Alvarez or another player that is expecting big bucks but they can weigh the cost with the reward better at 1, 2 or 3 as oppossed to 10.

There is no right or wrong view here but he discussion should end in a little over a week thank god.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Sep 20, 2007 -> 12:37 PM)
I think the gist of the whole argument has to do with selection and signability. With the #1 pick the White Sox can select an impact guy that is signable as well. They will shy away from the Jared Weaver's and JD Drew's as will 20 other teams. I am not sure if this is right or wrong but they will have the highest revenue stream of any tema in front of them unless Houston or San Fran pass them. Therefore they may still have a look at Alvarez or another player that is expecting big bucks but they can weigh the cost with the reward better at 1, 2 or 3 as oppossed to 10.

There is no right or wrong view here but he discussion should end in a little over a week thank god.

Here is a point nobody has brought up...

THE SOX WILL NOT HAVE A 2ND ROUND PICK NEXT YEAR.

They're going to end up signing somebody's Type A free agent and be forced to give up there top pick (not in the top 15 overall). The Sox will have only one of the first 80-90 picks.

They're going to spend the money because it's the only impact pick they'll have. Anyone using signability as a reason we should be happy with a few more meaningless wins in September hasn't thought the whole process through.