White Sox V Twins

TLAK

BTW, 29th, did you catch the BA article about the Top 20 prospects heading to the AFL? Not one Sox player listed, IIRC, and I'd say 80% of the players were of Latin descent. Folks in the Sox organization should see that article and be embarrassed, really (if they aren't already).

Yes I did see that article and I agree with you they absolutely need to do better in terms of bringing young talent into the organization. That also holds true for most other teams but that is besides the point.

However I think it's fair to say this, personally I take much of what Baseball America says with a huge grain of salt. Yes they have a certain amount of insight but they are getting most of their opinions (rankings) from area scouts and scouting directors, many of whom have their own sets of biases.

The Arizona Fall League is a showcase, it's for lots of teams to put players out there to see if they deserve a 40 man spot. It can be a good measuring stick but it's certainly not a be all end all, for me anyways.

To summarize, I treat a lot of their Top 20 lists with a shrug of the shoulders and many baseball people do too. As an example if you ever meet and talk at length with Phil Rogers who is the White Sox contributor, as I have, when you start talking about players deep in the White Sox system he gets a glazed look in his eyes because he doesn't know who you're talking about or anything about the players. He is a super nice guy but there are people here who know more about the young players than Phil.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 07:18 PM)
Hopefully he has a better career than another guy who homered frequently as a rookie and was ROY. It seems the Sox are definitely leaning toward bringing Crede back. Fields really needs to improve in LF to be there full time IMO. There is time for him to get adequate, but does anyone think he can play 2b?

No, I don't think he can play 2nd base, and I don't think we need a 2nd baseman anyway. We need a SS.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:25 PM)
Figures... Just like the Hawks -- the year they FINALLY win the lottery, there's no consensus 'best player available'.

BTW, 29th, did you catch the BA article about the Top 20 prospects heading to the AFL? Not one Sox player listed, IIRC, and I'd say 80% of the players were of Latin descent. Folks in the Sox organization should see that article and be embarrassed, really (if they aren't already).

Keith, that would be quite the accomplishment if the Sox had a Top 20 player in the GCL, considering the rookie in the PIO and APPY leagues.

Expect Poreda to rank at the top of the PIO league.

I have to admit I'm not too familar with many collegiate or high school players this far ahead of the draft, but that excerpt is just too funny. I remember posting a comment several months ago suggesting that if we were to have decent draft position, major league insiders would say how weak the draft class was. It wasn't based on anything more than a hunch. Doesn't it make perfect sense that we'd find ourselves in such a class?

Oh well, I'm still expecting a stud. They'll have to make due at whatever position.

What it comes down to is this. The scouts will be trusted, they will see guys they like, follow them, and get to know as much as they can about guys they believe will be major leaguers. This applies to the early round picks and then afterwards you take guys who maybe have a couple good tools and try to develop the strengths and beef up the weaknesses.

It all comes down to having a lot of scouts, which the White Sox do, and then hoping the guys you really like are there.

Hopefully this new mandate of trying to get higher ceiling players will help.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Yes I did see that article and I agree with you they absolutely need to do better in terms of bringing young talent into the organization. That also holds true for most other teams but that is besides the point.

However I think it's fair to say this, personally I take much of what Baseball America says with a huge grain of salt. Yes they have a certain amount of insight but they are getting most of their opinions (rankings) from area scouts and scouting directors, many of whom have their own sets of biases.

The Arizona Fall League is a showcase, it's for lots of teams to put players out there to see if they deserve a 40 man spot. It can be a good measuring stick but it's certainly not a be all end all, for me anyways.

To summarize, I treat a lot of their Top 20 lists with a shrug of the shoulders and many baseball people do too. As an example if you ever meet and talk at length with Phil Rogers who is the White Sox contributor, as I have, when you start talking about players deep in the White Sox system he gets a glazed look in his eyes because he doesn't know who you're talking about or anything about the players. He is a super nice guy but there are people here who know more about the young players than Phil.

They weren't talking about the AFL. The AZL is the Complex league. Completely different than the AFL. The White Sox are in teh PIO and APPY leagues for Rookie ball.

And their Top 20 lists are compiled by surveying Managers, Coaches, and scouts. Not Phil Rogers, who has never seen anyone play in the Pioneer league.

Keith, that would be quite the accomplishment if the Sox had a Top 20 player in the GCL, considering the rookie in the PIO and APPY leagues.

There was an article specifically about the Arizona Fall League and they (BA) talked about the top players to watch. In that article I don't recall any of the 6 guys the White Sox are sending were mentioned. Maybe he was referring to a different article? The article I saw came out at least a week ago if I recall.

They weren't talking about the AFL. The AZL is the Complex league. Completely different than the AFL. The White Sox are in teh PIO and APPY leagues for Rookie ball.

And their Top 20 lists are compiled by surveying Managers, Coaches, and scouts. Not Phil Rogers, who has never seen anyone play in the Pioneer league.

See my post above.

The list that came out today or yesterday was about the Gulf Coast League.

As I stated there was a previous article about the Arizona Fall league, which is what he mentioned in his post, he specifically mentioned the Arizona Fall League and that is what I responded to.

Did I say that Phil Rogers comprises the Top 20 lists, or even contributes? No I did not. Phil writes up the organization updates, which come out every two weeks. I commented about Phil in general, not with anything to do with the top 20 lists.

Yes, I know quite well the Sox rookie league teams are in the Appalachian League and the Pioneer League. I believe you and other posters see me commenting in the Future section of this board quite frequently.

Edited by 29andPoplar

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)

I may have an uneasy feeling we'll be selecting high in a weak class, but even I acknowledge it's still too early to determine whether certain raw players around selection 40 (according to the AL executive) don't soar up next season.

No one knew who Phillippe Aumont or Jarrod Parker were this time last year. Tanner Robbles was being touted as a Top 15 player.

It could be possible the 'raw' talent refines itself next season, especially within the high school ranks

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 02:36 AM)

So the article on BTF wasn't about the AFL? I just took "Arizona League" to mean AFL.

//off-topic -- KANE!

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 09:42 PM)
There was an article specifically about the Arizona Fall League and they (BA) talked about the top players to watch. In that article I don't recall any of the 6 guys the White Sox are sending were mentioned. Maybe he was referring to a different article? The article I saw came out at least a week ago if I recall.

I didn't see that... I thought you guys were referring to the top 20 list for the AZL which was released today (or yesterday)...

That the Sox don't have a "top prospect" in the AFL should not come as news. I can't think of the last time the Sox have had a legitimate top 40-50 prospect in baseball in that league. (McCarthy was scheduled to attend, but was scrapped due to innings concerns. Before that, I don't know)... So if you're worried about that, you're late to the party.

So the article on BTF wasn't about the AFL? I just took "Arizona League" to mean AFL.

//off-topic -- KANE!

No the Arizona League To 20 article that Gene Honda Civic was referring to came out today or yesterday adn that was about the rookie league out there. It is a league the White Sox used to be in but they basically moved that team to the Pioneer League which they felt had better competition.

I thought you were referring to a recent article about the Arizona Fall League (which starts later in the fall), where they talked about players who were going there, players to watch, etc. and in that article no White Sox players were mentioned specifically.

Sorry about the confusion and yes I am optimistic about young Mr. Kane.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 12:35 PM)
No, I don't think he can play 2nd base, and I don't think we need a 2nd baseman anyway. We need a SS.

Yep, if we're getting a .736 OPS from our 2nd baseman (at a cheap cost and the potential to get better) I don't think that's really an urgent need that we need to fill right now (compared to SS, CF and the pen).

On Fields, hopefully he can improve in LF defensively in the off-season. But that shouldn't be the end all to be all to determine whether or not he plays there next season. Of course it's a major factor though.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
On Fields, hopefully he can improve in LF defensively in the off-season. But that shouldn't be the end all to be all to determine whether or not he plays there next season. Of course it's a major factor though.

It's things like this that really make Anderson's crashing and burning sting. Because if we could have put him out there and had him not be a liability with the bat...his range in CF was so good that he'd make up for some of Josh's shortcomings out there.

What's the story on Anderson?

What was his injury and how many months did he miss?

What'd he hit?

Do the Sox have any plans for him at all?

If not you think they'd ship him out and give him a chance somewhere else.

You never hear the guy's name in talks about the future.

I mean he still does exist.

What's the verdict on BA and his future with the Sox?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 21, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
What's the story on Anderson?

What was his injury and how many months did he miss?

What'd he hit?

Do the Sox have any plans for him at all?

If not you think they'd ship him out and give him a chance somewhere else.

You never hear the guy's name in talks about the future.

I mean he still does exist.

What's the verdict on BA and his future with the Sox?

He had a wrist injury. There is no future for BA with the Sox. For some reason this organization gave up on him after about 400 at bats. He'll be traded eventually, not sure when but he'll never play another game for the White Sox.