White Sox @ Twins, 9/22

Balta1701

I saw that with Owens. He might make things interesting as far as that OF situation is cocnerned for 2008. However he ain't no Chris Young. We could debate that trade for awhile. Vazquez has comea round really well for the Sox, but could we have gotten him for less?

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
I saw that with Owens. He might make things interesting as far as that OF situation is cocnerned for 2008. However he ain't no Chris Young. We could debate that trade for awhile. Vazquez has comea round really well for the Sox, but could we have gotten him for less?

oh god, not another Chris Young/Javy Vasquez discussion again.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
So basically all the Sox need is a new SS, and a couple of bench guys and its back into contention. Wow.

I actually think if you pencilled in a Furcal and added a solid CF like Rowand and had everything else the same this team competes for the series (and that includes the pen consisting of guys like MacDougall/Thornton/Etc).

And by this team, I'm talking about next years team.

Note: I'm not implying the team can get Furcal and Rowand without losing some of its current major league pieces. However, you are essentially adding a gold glove caliber (and an above average leadoff hitter) at SS, a gold glove caliber CF (and a solid hitter based on his career production...an above average hitter based on this year but I think it would be foolish to expect him to duplicate this season), and a gold glove caliber 3rd baseman (yes I'm risky saying this cause you don't know how Crede will be after his injury, but no matter what that he's pretty solid and superior to Andy Gonzalez).

All of these are major upgrades to Juan Uribe, Darin Erstad/Scott Pods/Jerry Owens (insert any other CFer), & the combo of 3rd baseman the Sox have used. You also upgrade in LF where Josh Fields is better than Scott Pods.

I am not at all concerned about the rotation and I honestly feel we have most of the pieces of a good pen, its just a matter of the guys producing. Obviously there are some if's in there, but there are going to be "ifs" for every team cause there is no sure thing.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 10:40 AM)
It's turning out to be quite the finish to the season.

I'd have zero problem with Erstad coming back as a BENCH PLAYER. PLain and simple. Have him sub ocassionally at first, play all of the OF positions in a defensive bind and be a guy you go to if you have a guy go down for a week or so.

Maybe plan on getting him in 80-100 games (most being as a defensive replacement...pinch runner and obviously the ocassional spot start when you just want to rest a guy).

However, it has to be as a BENCH player and I honestly think he'd accept that role.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 07:55 PM)
I'd have zero problem with Erstad coming back as a BENCH PLAYER. PLain and simple. Have him sub ocassionally at first, play all of the OF positions in a defensive bind and be a guy you go to if you have a guy go down for a week or so.

Maybe plan on getting him in 80-100 games (most being as a defensive replacement...pinch runner and obviously the ocassional spot start when you just want to rest a guy).

However, it has to be as a BENCH player and I honestly think he'd accept that role.

I want him so far away from this organization, it's not even funny. Just like with Timo Perez, if he's on the roster, I don't trust Ozzie to use him correctly.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
I want him so far away from this organization, it's not even funny. Just like with Timo Perez, if he's on the roster, I don't trust Ozzie to use him correctly.

I agree but for another reason. We already have two pretty decent fourth OFers with Terrero and Owens. What role would Erstad play -- backup first baseman?

If Mackowiak is a free agent, I'd hope the Sox would try to get him back here -- he clearly loved playing here (even this season) and you could probably grab him for right around what he made this season.

Speaking of Mackowiak, apparently he's been playing the past couple months with a hernia that needs surgery. Speaking from experience, that takes a lot of guts -- when I had one poppin' out on me a couple years ago I didn't even think about doing anything extraordinarily athletic. Here's Rob trying to fight through it as a professional baseball player.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 22, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
I agree but for another reason. We already have two pretty decent fourth OFers with Terrero and Owens. What role would Erstad play -- backup first baseman?

If Mackowiak is a free agent, I'd hope the Sox would try to get him back here -- he clearly loved playing here (even this season) and you could probably grab him for right around what he made this season.

Speaking of Mackowiak, apparently he's been playing the past couple months with a hernia that needs surgery. Speaking from experience, that takes a lot of guts -- when I had one poppin' out on me a couple years ago I didn't even think about doing anything extraordinarily athletic. Here's Rob trying to fight through it as a professional baseball player.

So why would you want another older, mediocre guy back on the team that's injured? I'll pass. Ozzie doesn't know how to use him anyway.

I walked past JR walking down the street at about 11:30 today. You would think he would have at least a little interest in watching the game. I figured the Twins must have been winning 5-0 in the first inning. I was shocked the Sox were leading 1-0 when I got home.

He's seen enough bad baseball this season.