southsider2k5

Sox/Twins 9-23

so, is the org. having thoughts about Fields being the 3rd basemen once again, or is it where they are doing anything to get Podsednik in the lineup?

Pratt is getting lazy. I'll pick up the slack,

Minnesota is playing a bad lineup, September starts don't matter, Gavin paid Hunter and Mauer to help him out, someone is using the wind machine in the Dome to aid Gavin, Floyd is cheating......I really can't think of anything else.

Gavin Blows..

:)

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
so, is the org. having thoughts about Fields being the 3rd basemen once again, or is it where they are doing anything to get Podsednik in the lineup?

We don't have a 3B at all now. Sounds like Gonzalez is done for the year with the cut on his hand.

Slowey looks really good. Unfortunately.

Something appeared to be bothering him last inning, either shoulder or forearm, he was shaking it out. Might be nothing but he looked perturbed about something.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:38 PM)
You do realize that he had a 107/18 K/BB ratio in AAA this year, right? He won the ERA crown with a 1.89 ERA.

well, I haven't been to impressed with him, but it's that Twins magic I guess.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
We don't have a 3B at all now. Sounds like Gonzalez is done for the year with the cut on his hand.

Was Andy Gonzalez a 3B to begin with?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
well, I haven't been to impressed with him, but it's that Twins magic I guess.

Yes. Throwing strikes and missing bats at the minor leagues somehow translates into ML success. It's magic.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:44 PM)
Have you been watching the games the last month?

Yeah, I know Andy Gonzalez had been playing 3B, but that doesn't make him a 3B.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
How sad is Pods out there? Ozzie might want to get Floyd out of the game before this goes from a good start to a bad start.

We probably shouldn't be babying him. Let's see what he can do for reals... He got himself out of a jam last week and then recovered. If he does it again here, I might believe it's a repeatable skill.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Well he couldn't work out of it. 5 2/3 innings today, 4 ER, 100+ pitches. He lost his control in the 6th. I would categorize his outing today as so-so.

As you and I always talk about, he lost his mechanics/release point. It was the main reason why I was hoping Ozzie would pull him after Cuddyer's single.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Well he couldn't work out of it. 5 2/3 innings today, 4 ER, 100+ pitches. He lost his control in the 6th. I would categorize his outing today as so-so.

It was a Gavin Floyd start. Had great stuff going, ran into trouble, and couldn't get out of it. That is why it's so frustrating to watch him on a regular basis. If the stuff wasn't there, fine, he sucks. That clearly isn't the case.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
As you and I always talk about, he lost his mechanics/release point. It was the main reason why I was hoping Ozzie would pull him after Cuddyer's single.

If we were in contention for something, I would have agreed. But as it was, I think leaving him out there was the right decision.

However, one thing I noticed this season while "watching" his outings on milbGameday: Floyd really runs out of steam around 100 pitches, more like 90. He'll cruise along for 90 then start getting wild, which is what happened today.

If he's in the rotation next year, which looks like a good bet, Ozzie has to treat him with kid gloves after pitch 90.

Right now you have to let him try and work out of jams and finish innings, he needs to learn how to do it consistently. He had the velocity but lost control of the curve. It was a good move for Cooper to come out and give him a breather but he got himself into a bind with the count.

Not a horrible outing but he labored. The good news I guess was he only walked two guys.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
If we were in contention for something, I would have agreed. But as it was, I think leaving him out there was the right decision.

However, one thing I noticed this season while "watching" his outings on milbGameday: Floyd really runs out of steam around 100 pitches, more like 90. He'll cruise along for 90 then start getting wild, which is what happened today.

If he's in the rotation next year, which looks like a good bet, Ozzie has to treat him with kid gloves after pitch 90.

That's exactly what I was thinking watching him there....he's basically going to be a 5 inning pitcher for the Sox if he's in the rotation. Considering that Danks is in the same mode, we better have some quality long relievers next year.

Agree and good point on the pitch count.

He does look to me like he's attacking the strike zone more and that's good.