Sox/Twins 9-23

southsider2k5

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
How sad is Pods out there? Ozzie might want to get Floyd out of the game before this goes from a good start to a bad start.

We probably shouldn't be babying him. Let's see what he can do for reals... He got himself out of a jam last week and then recovered. If he does it again here, I might believe it's a repeatable skill.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
Well he couldn't work out of it. 5 2/3 innings today, 4 ER, 100+ pitches. He lost his control in the 6th. I would categorize his outing today as so-so.

As you and I always talk about, he lost his mechanics/release point. It was the main reason why I was hoping Ozzie would pull him after Cuddyer's single.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
As you and I always talk about, he lost his mechanics/release point. It was the main reason why I was hoping Ozzie would pull him after Cuddyer's single.

If we were in contention for something, I would have agreed. But as it was, I think leaving him out there was the right decision.

However, one thing I noticed this season while "watching" his outings on milbGameday: Floyd really runs out of steam around 100 pitches, more like 90. He'll cruise along for 90 then start getting wild, which is what happened today.

If he's in the rotation next year, which looks like a good bet, Ozzie has to treat him with kid gloves after pitch 90.

Right now you have to let him try and work out of jams and finish innings, he needs to learn how to do it consistently. He had the velocity but lost control of the curve. It was a good move for Cooper to come out and give him a breather but he got himself into a bind with the count.

Not a horrible outing but he labored. The good news I guess was he only walked two guys.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 07:58 PM)
If we were in contention for something, I would have agreed. But as it was, I think leaving him out there was the right decision.

However, one thing I noticed this season while "watching" his outings on milbGameday: Floyd really runs out of steam around 100 pitches, more like 90. He'll cruise along for 90 then start getting wild, which is what happened today.

If he's in the rotation next year, which looks like a good bet, Ozzie has to treat him with kid gloves after pitch 90.

That's exactly what I was thinking watching him there....he's basically going to be a 5 inning pitcher for the Sox if he's in the rotation. Considering that Danks is in the same mode, we better have some quality long relievers next year.

Agree and good point on the pitch count.

He does look to me like he's attacking the strike zone more and that's good.

QUOTE(29andPoplar @ Sep 23, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Agree and good point on the pitch count.

He does look to me like he's attacking the strike zone more and that's good.

I noticed that he was gripping the ball rather aggressively when he was pitching out of the stretch, but there were sometimes where he seemed to rush the pitch, and the ball came out of his hand a little funny. I'm really not sure if he hand a good feel for the baseball before he threw it.