2007-2008 NHL Catch All Thread

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 13, 2007 -> 02:31 PM)
So anyone know any good bars in the 'burbs that have Hawk home games on TV?

I don't know anyplace that carries Hawks home games any more.

That used to be big business in the early 90's, but I haven't heard of any bars doing that these days.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a f***ing game! Toews' shot was going FIVE FEET WIDE and it tipped off of Sharp AND Lang to go in. On the OT goal, Toews was working his ass off in front of the net for that tip in. What a f***ing game, I'm so happy. They played their asses off for the last 25 minutes of that game and that outcome was completely deserved.

Woohoo!

Wow. This season is actually getting me excited..

When is the last time the Hawks beat Detroit twice in the first month of the season? When is the last time they won back to back games when they weren't out of the race?

Could this season be different guys?

If they can build up some momentum heading towards that God-forsaken "circus trip" (or "ice show trip", I'm never sure which stupid killer trip comes first), they can definitely make some noise this year.

I also read in the Sun-Times today that the Hawks may actually be looking at televising home games in the not-so-distant future, so this organIzation might actually be heading into the 21st Century!!

I was worried about the first 5 games of this schedule coming into the year. Out of the gate the Hawks played 5 playoff teams and went 3-2 (2-0 in division games). The schedule now lets up a bit, as the rest of the month is St Louis, Colorado, Toronto, Columbus, Boston, Atlanta, Dallas. We need to keep this play up into this part of the schedule. Hawks should be able to finish the month a few games above .500 for sure, especially with a real weak 4th week of the month.

If they're leaning towards Havlat opting for no surgery, I'd still take it very slow with him. I think this team as it currenty stands (read: without Havlat) can float above water. Give him several weeks, into or past December if need be, to do everything he can to strengthen that shoulder. He doesn't need to be 'the guy' like he was last year, and you need not look any further than last game -- the whole third period, Kane was double-shifting to cover for Bourque. It's really amazing to say this, but these kids are 'that good' already -- it's quite stunning.

He just needs to be a threat. He needs to be decent enough with Lang so we can have two lines that teams have to worry about. We don't need PPG Marty Havlat.

Talking about the defense for a second, there have been some ugly turnovers, but at the end of the day -- just nine goals in five games. A lot of that's been Khabi, but I've been thoroughly impressed with Johansson. He's very calm and collected when he has the puck and generally makes good decisions. Wisniewski has played the best out of any of the d-men -- I hope he's here for a long time, I really like his game. The one guy who I don't like back there is Vandermeer who's almost-Cullimore-slow and isn't very good with the puck. I'd look to move him for a draft pick.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 01:48 AM)
The one guy who I don't like back there is Vandermeer who's almost-Cullimore-slow and isn't very good with the puck. I'd look to move him for a draft pick.

Obviously totally agree here. At least he's finding the press box, for now. How did Sopel and Zuz look Saturday?

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 15, 2007 -> 06:54 AM)
Obviously totally agree here. At least he's finding the press box, for now. How did Sopel and Zuz look Saturday?

Sopel is slow but hasn't done anything terribly stupid yet, and he seems to have some good instincts on offense. Zuz I don't have a good handle on yet so I'll hold off commenting, although he didn't look out of place when he was on the PP.

And now I'm going to bed.

It's really nice to have kids who look ready right away.

I can't remember the last time the Hawks had impact kids come up and contribute immediately.

I'm so much more hopeful for their chances than I was just a couple weeks ago - it's a great feeling.

Looks like my first game this season will be November 9th vs. St. Louis - I can't wait!

A couple players who have played great of late are Patrick Sharp and Magnus Johansen. I thought MJ was very VERY iffy against the Wild, but he's really coming on and has been a great addition to the hawks blue line.

This is as excited as I've been for hockey in over a decade...and I say that KNOWING there is still a lot of hockey to play with one very young team missing arguably its top player.

My early season thumbs up to

Adam Burish for showing serious moxie and grit

Robert Lang for showing many of us naysayers wrong...looks like Langer is gonna be a decent addition

The kids, JT and PK...only a matter of time before they are running this league

Magnus for really settling in nicely after coming over from Europe

Khabi...he is playing goalie like the elite goalie he is. Could be the difference in a playoff chase

Brent Sopel for giving us a heady player on defense

To David Koci for teaching Boogieman a lesson about dirty shots at our smaller guys. Koci beat down one of the games biggest goons. I loved it

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
Bucc actually picked the Hawks to make the playoffs, and has been really high on this club, which is good to see.

By the grace of God, I flipped on Mike North this morning, and to my surprise Tim Sassone was on to talk Hawks. No real new

info, but he said he wouldn't at all be surprised to see home games on tv THIS SEASON, possibly on WGN(I find that a little far fetched, seeing as the Hawks own 25% of Comcast)

I've always heard that WGN has had a deal in place with Peter several times in the past, but Bill always nixed it.

Maybe that deal is still in place and could happen despite the Hawks' ownership stake in Comcast.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 11:03 AM)
I couldn't think of a better deal for the Hawks. Not only get your home games on TV, but if you are able to put them on a National network, the NHL just step up and really push for it, seeing as they could use all the ehlp they can get.

Would the league be upset that WGN could negatively affect their Versus deal?

I almost greened that entire sentence, except that I believe the NHL's goofy "leadership" could actually get upset about a real network trumping their little unknown, hard-to-find "television home".

To above, go back to your own thread, whatever that is.

As far as havlat is concerned, i'll believe it when i see it. I'm just trying to think of the Hawks minus Havlat for the rest of the season and whenever he does hit the ice, what a bonus. That shoulder is so f***ed up it's not funny.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Oct 18, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
It sounds like the wackiest goal ever, sitting on Legace's head for a second or two? Can't wait to see it.

I think they said he shot it off the backboard, it went on the top of the net, then off Legace, and then back into the net. Sounds like a crazy goal, and the only good thing that happened tonight.

The lack of offense without Havlat is a worry as per usual.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 17, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Sounded like the Hawks had some good chances, but just couldn't finish. It also sounded like the Blues made it a real point to take Toews and Kane out of the game.

Two things that obviously need work.

1.Special teams. The PK needs to get better, and guys have to start stepping up on the PP.

2.Tempo to start the game. I said it in the post earlier, but the Hawks can't continue to dig themselves in a hole, and expect consistent wins. I was able to catch a bit if the post game show, and Sharp mentioned the same thing, how he was disappointed in how they came out of the gate tonight.

Right now I'm still willing to give the Hawks a "getting to know you" period to get the special teams together, but you're right, that's a huge part of building a winning team.

And YES, leads are a good thing! :D It's great to see the scrappy, never-say-die, no-quit attitude this team is showing, but trailing late will get old in a hurry!

Toews and Kane better get used to being targeted, too - that's life in the NHL, guys! (I do think they'll adjust)