HGH question

gosox41

I may have missed the exlplanation, but why would a doctor need to perscrive HGH to patient. And please don't go the direction of dirty doctors trying to make a quick buck. I'm just wondering why a legit doctor would perscrive it to a legit patient. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bob

Byrd said that three different doctors diagnosed him as suffering from adult growth-hormone deficiency. In spring training, he said, he was diagnosed with a tumor on his pituitary gland at the base of his brain, a condition that may have contributed to his deficiency, doctors told him.

"I have not taken any hormone apart from a doctor's care and supervision," Byrd said. "The Indians, my coaches and MLB have known that I have had a pituitary gland issue for some time and have assisted me in getting blood tests in different states. I am currently working with an endocrinologist and will have another MRI on my head after the season to make sure that the tumor hasn't grown."

This might explain it better.

just want to state that the pituitary gland isnt' at the base of the brain, its behind your sinus cavity :) my dad's pituitary adenoma (growth) was removed through an invasive surgery through his nose, leaving no visible scarring which of course is nice! and he was put on a topical steroid called Andro Gel, so these types of growths often times require hormonal treatments such as steroids or hgh

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 05:07 AM)
just want to state that the pituitary gland isnt' at the base of the brain, its behind your sinus cavity :) my dad's pituitary adenoma (growth) was removed through an invasive surgery through his nose, leaving no visible scarring which of course is nice! and he was put on a topical steroid called Andro Gel, so these types of growths often times require hormonal treatments such as steroids or hgh

Wasn't that the year your dad hit 50 home runs?

Sorry, hope he is well.

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 05:07 AM)

Umm, its located at the base of the brain, it just so happens that the base of the brain can be accessed through your nasal passage, or even behind the upper lip in that procedure.

pituitarylocation2.gif

What is the pituitary gland?

The pituitary is an endocrine (hormone-producing) gland that sits just beneath the base of the brain, behind the bridge of the nose. It is very small – only about the size of a pea. The pituitary gland is very important as it takes messages from the brain (via a gland called the hypothalamus) and uses these messages to produce hormones that affect many parts of the body, including stimulating all the other hormone-producing glands to produce their own hormones. For this reason it is often referred to as the ‘master gland’.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 10:11 AM)
Umm, its located at the base of the brain, it just so happens that the base of the brain can be accessed through your nasal passage, or even behind the upper lip in that procedure.

pituitarylocation2.gif

As far as I can tell, it looks like both of you are right. Base of the brain and behind the sinus cavity aren't like mutually exclusive locations within the human body.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Oct 22, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
As far as I can tell, it looks like both of you are right. Base of the brain and behind the sinus cavity aren't like mutually exclusive locations within the human body.

Exaclty, I was trying to point out that the "base of the brain" is not really where people think it is. Its actually closer to your mouth that to your neck.