Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 08:13 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

Would love to see Torii robbing HRs for us instead of from us! Better track record than the PA$$ION (Rowand) and at least CF won't be a gaping hole like it has been the last 2 yrs.

I know I'm in the minority on my opinion...but I'm holding out that we don't sign Hunter.

If he gets his 6 yr/90 million like he's rumored to want and will probably get...I'm hoping that someone else owes him $30 million when he's 38.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 09:13 AM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox01.article

Would love to see Torii robbing HRs for us instead of from us! Better track record than the PA$$ION (Rowand) and at least CF won't be a gaping hole like it has been the last 2 yrs.

hopefully this gets done! we need someone like hunter on this team! im not sure about 5 years though.. :pray

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 08:28 AM)
I'd rather not pay Hunter and save the money for Miguel Cabrera. That guy loves Ozzie. Show him the money and get him in shape. He would be awesome at USCF.

Agreed.

I was really hoping we'd lay low this off-season just to maybe "save up" for Miggy next year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
I'd rather not pay Hunter and save the money for Miguel Cabrera. That guy loves Ozzie. Show him the money and get him in shape. He would be awesome at USCF.

Look for him to possibly be traded to the Yankees if Lowell stays in Boston.

QUOTE(Felix @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 10:28 AM)
Torii is going to be overpaid and is incredibly overrated. I really hope we aren't the team that signs him.

im of the opinion that hunter is one of the more underrate players in the game....with the exception of the injury shortened year in 2005, he has been a fairly consistent 25-30 HR guy for 6 years with a slugging in the high .400s (30ish doubles a year) and 15-20 SBs while playing a good CF (even if his defense is overrated hes still certainly a well above average CF)....hes not gonna have an obp much higher than .330 but he does everything else pretty damn well

contrast that to rowand who has hit 13 or fewer HR two of the last 3 seasons and hasnt shown he can be a consistent player.....basically rowands good years have been about the same as hunters average years (with a slightly higher BA)...

looking at andruw....jones has had similar to slightly higher obps, stolen less bases, recently has played similar defense to hunter...basically the only thing he has on hunter is the HR, which in the last 3 years have gone 51, 41, 26...not a good trend

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
It's to be expected, but the vibe around this team is terrible. As of right now, I have very little interest in this club, and its quite sad.

If Eckstein is roaming SS with his horrid arm this next season, I will be selling more of my tickets than I usually do.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 10:37 AM)
Sounds more like David Wells syndrome... fat, lazy, and looking for his next big contract.

I was more talking about how people think he's becoming a FA before he actually is, but yeah, that one too :P

(I'd still love to have him on the team :P)

I know I'm in the minority on my opinion...but I'm holding out that we don't sign Hunter.

If he gets his 6 yr/90 million like he's rumored to want and will probably get...I'm hoping that someone else owes him $30 million when he's 38.

I'm in agreement with you but I wouldn't worry much about it. After Kenny is astonished to hear that Hunter won't sign with the Sox for less money than other teams will offer him, the discusion will be over and Kenny will be on to lowballing Rowand.

Rowand gets signed.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 09:59 AM)
If Eckstein is roaming SS with his horrid arm this next season, I will be selling more of my tickets than I usually do.

Come on! Eckstein's got a decent arm when he can work out of the windup - it's just when he works out of the stretch that his throws get weak.

:bang

I'd rather overpay for Hunter than overpay for Aaron Rowand. Hunter has more power and at 35 would still be better in CF than the PA$$ION.

And I have no idea why Uribe's option isn't picked up already. David Eckstein blows and while Uribe's OBP is terrible, his D and 20 HRs make up for it.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 09:47 AM)
I'd rather overpay for Hunter than overpay for Aaron Rowand. Hunter has more power and at 35 would still be better in CF than the PA$$ION.

And I have no idea why Uribe's option isn't picked up already. David Eckstein blows and while Uribe's OBP is terrible, his D and 20 HRs make up for it.

I'd rather have Jerry Owens in CF for $400,000 than Torii Hunter in CF for 40x that amount...but I contend that you can't put Owens in CF if you don't fix your SS spot.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
I'd rather have Jerry Owens in CF for $400,000 than Torii Hunter in CF for 40x that amount...but I contend that you can't put Owens in CF if you don't fix your SS spot.

Keep Owens in CF, trade for an actual offensive force for LF like Burrell. Then look to use that money on a better free agent crop in '08. Any offensive player in this free agent crop is going to be even more overpaid due to the scarcity of quality players. I know KW is desperate to improve the team, but let's not be stupid. As it stands right now, we dont have much of a chance against the Indians and Tigers anyways. Hunter and Eckstein for a combined $22+ million aren't going to solve all of our problems. They will just create new ones.

QUOTE(Markbilliards @ Nov 1, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
I would much rather keep Jerry Owens. Hunter is a huge whiner and not a team player. And most importantly, way too expensive.

If Hunter is a whiner and not a team player, I'll take a team full of whiners any day. I have no idea where you are getting that idea, but its quite the opposite of everything I have seen and read.

But I do agree he may be too expensive.