Torii Hunter

Allsox

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
ESPN.com

I know kw is hurting after this one. But its a horrible deal. the Angels had absolutely no need for a CF'er and have basically given up on Mcab, which is good news for us.

I think this makes it more likely they go after Cabrera, as now they can give up Willits (the Marlins are desperate for a young CF).

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 12:06 AM)
I love Rowand but he really is not the guy I want the organization to invest the big bucks in. Right now I think id rather have us pursue andruw jones than Rowand. Plus look more into this fukodome or whatever it is guy.

There is absolutely no reason you should waste your time hoping the White Sox will sign somebody who uses Scott Boras as his agent. Just let it go. The White Sox are not going to sign Andruw Jones.

QUOTE(thomsonmi @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 07:38 AM)
If we do sign Rowand, I think we will also go big time after Miguel Cabrera. KW will not be satisfied with just bringing Rowand back.

We have nothing to offer the Marlins. They're going to want better players than Fields, DLS, and Gio.

You could make a case that Rowand had the best season of all the FA cfers. He's also younger. I just would want to know that he made some sort of adjustment to his swing that allowed him to make the massive strides he made this past year (if the scouts have told Kenny he has and that it is the type of adjustment that should be able to hold up over time I have no problem giving Rowand a 4 year deal worth 13-14 mill with an option for a 4th year). I also have no problem with the Sox taking a chance on Fukodome.

The one thing with Rowand is he is more of a #2 hole hitter as well (kind of like OC) and that still leaves the Sox short of a leadoff hitter (although Rowand did hit 27hr's last year, albeit in the friendly confines of Philly).

I'm still puzzled. Funny how things work, the one team never tied to Hunter signs him and they do it immediately while the Sox sign Linebrink after never hearing a damn thing about them even talking with him. I also don't get why Torri went to a stadium where he won't really be able to rob too many hr's (Angels stadium just doesn't allow you to do that).

The Angels must know something is going on with Matthews (either he's about to get a major ass suspension or they have some sort of clause to void his contract due to the HGH stuff or someone in that OF is about to be traded). Just wow. I guess I'm semi happy cause I love watching Hunter play and I'll get to see him but I was buying into having a stud defensive cf in center (who could also hit).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
The Angels now have what, five outfielders? I was thinking about this, but instead of getting cash from LAA, I really would've liked to had seen Rivera included in the deal. At this point he's gotta be on the block, right?

Rivera is a nice fit to play left field if the Sox decide to go after a CF that is above average and can fill the leadoff slot (of course I don't know if there are many of those type of guys out there). Still I think Kenny has kind of pinpointed on getting a power production guy from the CF spot and than finding a leftfielder that he can put into the leadoff spot.

Hell if Johnny Damon was on the block I now wouldn't be opposed to having Damon come in as the leadoff hitter with Rivera being picked up as the left fielder and the Sox than making a move for a starting pitcher (and let the starting pitcher be Kenny's big fish). Than again I still have zero problem with Rowand, a leadoff hitter, and hopefully a move that gets the Sox another young pitcher so they have some more options.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:40 PM)
I doubt very much that this is true. 6 for 100 would have the Dodgers offering more years and more dollars per year than anyone else. The Rangers offered a 6 year contract at 13-14 million per year. This would be 6 years with more than 16 per. That just doesn't make sense. I have a difficult time believing it and I haven't seen it reported anywhere else. The Score beat reporters are far from reliable. I trust Bruce Levine before I would trust them and I barely trust him.

After some of your quotes in this thread, its amazing you rip anyone's credibility. How were the Angels able to sign someone the White Sox already have under contract?

From an article I read, it appears the Sox came in 3rd place in the Hunter sweepstakes. Frankly, I think it was all about money and its really not the White Sox MO to offer the most money to someone on the open market. All of their potential free agents had to take a discount to stay. But unless this was a big smokescreen, Hunter was the Sox key piece trying to fix a very broken team. The shine is definitely off the WS trophy. KW isn't going to be successful wooing players by telling him how great the team will be or by how great the city is etc. The size of the check is going to do his talking.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
From an article I read, it appears the Sox came in 3rd place in the Hunter sweepstakes. Frankly, I think it was all about money and its really not the White Sox MO to offer the most money to someone on the open market. All of their potential free agents had to take a discount to stay. But unless this was a big smokescreen, Hunter was the Sox key piece trying to fix a very broken team. The shine is definitely off the WS trophy. KW isn't going to be successful wooing players by telling him how great the team will be or by how great the city is etc. The size of the check is going to do his talking.

The guys on the Score just said a little while ago that the Sox might have been outbid by $20 million. If that's true then it's shameful. And know what? I believe he did get out bid by that much. Hunter said this all happened in 24 hours and he got blown away. I would love to know the offer KW gave.

On the other hand, the are the team that can actually win next year.

QUOTE(max power @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
If its twenty million, kenny probably offered 4/60. Regardless, if the angels have over $80 million tied up in hunter, we can be happy that the sox don't.

I agree with this in part. My real problem is that the Sox have put themselves in a position where they don't want to rebuild, and don't want to spend on free agents. I understand that $80 million might be overspending, but isn't this the price we kind of expected?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 07:39 AM)
Sorry to say, but if the Sox not signing Hunter means that we do not have to see Hunter at 38 in a Sox uniform patheically trying to play CF, I am sort of glad to see thsi deal not get done. There are other and perhaps more effective ways to spend money.

I agree-I am disappointed, but we gave it as big a shot as it deserved. And dont ever under-estimate that astro-turf factor.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 22, 2007 -> 07:58 AM)
I agree-I am disappointed, but we gave it as big a shot as it deserved. And dont ever under-estimate that astro-turf factor.

I think the only reason for being disappointed was that we thought we might actually land a big free agent. I am not sure a ton of people here actually wanted the guy.

Per ESPN now, Angels gave him 5 years, $90 million. Hunter has been one of my favorite players for a while now but that's absurd. I'm glad Kenny didn't try to match that. Move on to Rowand or other options. Maybe this turns up the heat on Kenny to land Cabrera, which could be a good thing in the end...