• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am surprised at how bad Hunter hit vs DET and CLE in 2007:

.673 OPS, 10K, 2BB in 69 AB vs DET

.531 OPS, 13K, 3 BB vs 67 AB CLE

He is even worse when he plays in Cleveland:

.286 OPS, 7K, 1BB in 34 AB

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:40 PM)
1 - If 2 players are of equal value I will take the one that wears his hat correctly and not cocked to the side like some hip hop freak. Silly - probably.

2 - I don't know. I don't know if he won't or if Jones will be a productive player over that time either. That is the chance you take with any free agent.

3 - How do you know you wouldn't be locked into long term with Jones? Boras recently said that Jones will not accept a 1 or 2 year deal. I still think there will be a period of adjustment for a player that has played his entire career in the National League.

Well the only team to have shown interest so far in Jones is Washington. Do you think he will accept a long - term deal with them? Will a team offer him a long - term deal based on his play in 2007.

I don't think there's a real big period of adjustment. Hitters should be able to hit no matter what league they are in. Uribe when he 1st came over, that was his best period as a hitter for the Sox. Iguchi hit ok when he first came to the Sox etc. so there are examples.

Hunter's a sure thing in the short - term, but I don't think he is worth $15M a season, and not for 5-6 years. It's just because the Sox had the worst production in CF out of any team in the MLB, that they feel they need the best available player there.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)
I can't find a very good picture, but Torii likes to wear his cap cocked to the side, too.

And the problem with that is.... :lol:

I'm glad I never made the majors no matter what numbers I put up. Some here would hate my guts over how I would wear my hat also which IMO is just ridiculous. Just some humourous things I've seen from fans here.

/rant And back to the topic

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 10:20 PM)
And the problem with that is.... :lol:

I'm glad I never made the majors no matter what numbers I put up. Some here would hate my guts over how I would wear my hat also which IMO is just ridiculous. Just some humourous things I've seen from fans here.

/rant And back to the topic

I could see if it was actually more comfortable, but it is not. It just looks silly, like a half rally cap.

I can't find a very good picture, but Torii likes to wear his cap cocked to the side, too.

862111Torii-Hunter-2004-Studio-Plus.jpg

I haven't seen this to be the case while watching games. However, if this is true then f him, on to the next. Just kidding, but I really don't like that hat cocked to the side nonsense.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 20, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
Jones was the CF version of Juan Uribe in 2007. Fat, didn't get on base much. Struck out often. I'm amazed anyone would want to deal with Boras and give this guy 8 figures, plus the new league is another good point.

Did you actually see Jones play in 07'? Because he was in the best shape he has been in in several years. He worked out like a madman at Boras' request getting in good shape for his FA season. While this seemed to improve his defense, many believe it may have been part of why he had such a down year at the plate.

His poor FA season had absolutely nothing to do with him being overweight. In fact, perhaps the fact that he lost weight had something to do with his performance at the dish...

Ace, I don't mind if people wear their hate sideways. That's about individuality. When on the baseball field, you should follow some type of dress code, and unless you are tilting your hat to block the sun, I feel you should keep it straight. Merely an opinion, among many, but it's how I feel.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:31 AM)
Ace, I don't mind if people wear their hate sideways. That's about individuality. When on the baseball field, you should follow some type of dress code, and unless you are tilting your hat to block the sun, I feel you should keep it straight. Merely an opinion, among many, but it's how I feel.

I actually use to cock my hat to the left when I pitched. I wore it with a curve and it made it easier to see runners on 1st Base while looking over my left shoulder.

I do however think it is completely retarded to cock it for any other reason on the baseball field.

Edited by rockren

QUOTE(rockren @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
I actually use to cock my hat to the left when I pitched. I wore it with a curve and it made it easier to see runners on 1st Base while looking over my left shoulder.

I do however think it is completely retarded to cock it for any other reason on the baseball field.

That would be another reason.

ESPN 1000 was saying this morning that Texas offer is six year about 85m and the White Sox offer is 5 at about 70. I think those were the numbers, they may be off roughly

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE LEVINE?

I don't trust that guy any farther than I can throw him and with my bad knee I really shouldn't throw anybody. GRRRRRRACE!

I think for the same price Jones is a better player then Hunter on the field but Hunter brings that grinder mentality, sorry for using that term but I think it is what seperates the two. Teh two year age difference is huge because Jones for 6 years is stomacable while Hunter I beleive is not. I think Hunter plays the game harder and it will take a greater toll on his body.

I think Jones cost more money per year and for longer years and his agent will keep him on the market until February.

The Sox should really be going aftter Fukodome and Rowand.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:44 AM)
I think for the same price Jones is a better player then Hunter on the field but Hunter brings that grinder mentality, sorry for using that term but I think it is what seperates the two. Teh two year age difference is huge because Jones for 6 years is stomacable while Hunter I beleive is not. I think Hunter plays the game harder and it will take a greater toll on his body.

I think Jones cost more money per year and for longer years and his agent will keep him on the market until February.

The Sox should really be going aftter Fukodome and Rowand.

Does that mean that he likes to eat a lot of grinders? because if so, then I totally agree :D

Im so sick of that term anymore, sorry

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:38 AM)
BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE LEVINE?

I don't trust that guy any farther than I can throw him and with my bad knee I really shouldn't throw anybody. GRRRRRRACE!

Has he ever been correct about things like this?

If Hunter is about the money he will definitley go to Texas... they simply have more to spend than we do. If he wants to come to a place who can quickly turn it around and start winning i think he'll come here.... only time will tell.

I was just comparing teams and the Sox have a better nucleus of players: Konerko, Thome, Dye, Cabrera, Pierzynski. And also, a better rotation (even without Garland) Buerhle, Vazquez, Contreras (big IF of course), Danks, Gio. Oh yea we also have Bobby Jenks....

THe Rangers have a nucleus of Young, Blalock that a bunch of average to below average players. Their rotation of Millwood, Padilla, McCarthy, Gabbard and Volquez just won't win a tough AL west division....

But the only thing really different about Texas' reported offer and the Sox' offer is the extra year.. In reality its pretty much 14 mill/ season for both teams... Do the Sox buckle down and throw in that 6th year? I doubt it....

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:01 AM)
But the only thing really different about Texas' reported offer and the Sox' offer is the extra year.. In reality its pretty much 14 mill/ season for both teams... Do the Sox buckle down and throw in that 6th year? I doubt it....

If the Sox are serious about Hunter, I think they should try to compete with the Texas offer by front-loading the contract. Give Hunter more than $14M in 2008 and 2009 and keep the contract length at 5 years. That way, he'll be paid the most when he's most valuable (and when the Sox payroll can handle it the best) and they won't be on the hook for Hunter when he's 39.