Torii Hunter

Allsox

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(iamshack @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:06 AM)
Did you actually see Jones play in 07'? Because he was in the best shape he has been in in several years. He worked out like a madman at Boras' request getting in good shape for his FA season. While this seemed to improve his defense, many believe it may have been part of why he had such a down year at the plate.

His poor FA season had absolutely nothing to do with him being overweight. In fact, perhaps the fact that he lost weight had something to do with his performance at the dish...

The rest of baseball is concerned about his body

From Jayson Stark today

"The big worry on Andruw is, his body is starting to scare people," said an official of one team that went into the winter shopping for center fielders. "You look at the body type, and you wonder: What are you getting? The question we were asking a few months ago was, 'Torii or Andruw?' But now Torii has gone way by him. I go back to bodies and conditioning. And based on that alone, I'd bet on Torii as the guy more likely to give you more productive years than Andruw, even though Andruw is younger."

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:31 AM)
Ace, I don't mind if people wear their hate sideways. That's about individuality. When on the baseball field, you should follow some type of dress code, and unless you are tilting your hat to block the sun, I feel you should keep it straight. Merely an opinion, among many, but it's how I feel.

:headbang

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
I may be very wrong, but I still think Hunter is all about the money. Anything else I believe is an act.

Like 99% of the American population. If he was interested in a tradition of winning and a proven track record, he'd be in New York chatting with the Yankees. :angry: With Free Agency, absent of the money issues, we'd see every great player in the Bronx with pin stripes or LA soaking up the sun and speaking their native language.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:06 AM)
If the Sox are serious about Hunter, I think they should try to compete with the Texas offer by front-loading the contract. Give Hunter more than $14M in 2008 and 2009 and keep the contract length at 5 years. That way, he'll be paid the most when he's most valuable (and when the Sox payroll can handle it the best) and they won't be on the hook for Hunter when he's 39.

Awesome idea, hitless.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/royals/story/370578.html

Royals notebook: Pursuit of Hunter continues

By BOB DUTTON

The Kansas City Star

Hunter Torii Hunter’s ongoing dining tour of interested clubs is, of course, drawing close scrutiny from the Royals, who view him as their top offseason target.

So there was definite relief Tuesday when Hunter, a free-agent outfielder, spiked a report in the Chicago Sun-Times that he was on the verge of signing with the White Sox.

Even so, those close to the situation continue to characterize the White Sox as the leading suitor — followed by the Royals, Dodgers and Rangers.

The catch is this: The White Sox are pressing for a quick decision because they want to move on to pursuing Aaron Rowand if they fail to sign Hunter. The Royals appear more willing to wait.

“I can’t comment on any specific situation,” Royals general manager Dayton Moore said, “but we’re willing to look into any situation that makes our club better.”

Hunter had dinner Monday with Texas owner Tom Hicks and several Rangers officials. Sources say Hunter wants to make a decision before the end of the month but is unlikely to do so before late next week.

Either way, the price is going up after bidding opened at $75 million over five years. Hunter, 32, now seems certain to get $80 million or more. He also continues to push for a sixth year, but no team seems inclined to offer it.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
:headbang

Like 99% of the American population. If he was interested in a tradition of winning and a proven track record, he'd be in New York chatting with the Yankees. :angry: With Free Agency, absent of the money issues, we'd see every great player in the Bronx with pin stripes or LA soaking up the sun and speaking their native language.

Maybe it has more to do with being in a city you and your family like and one that is affordable. I'm not sure if Hunter is a "city" or "country " person but if he doen't really care for living in big cities Chicago is a better option than LA or NYC. Face it, 14 mil a year will carry you a long way anywhere.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...torii21.article

Hunter's list may start with Sox

At least five offers are there, but Twins' star CF calls GM Williams 'impressive'

November 21, 2007

BY GORDON WITTENMYER gwittenmyer@suntimes.com

A day after feasting on a steak dinner at the 30-acre estate of Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks and receiving a six-year offer, free-agent outfielder Torii Hunter said Tuesday he's ''not leaning one way or another'' toward any team. But those close to him believe the White Sox are his first choice.

Hunter, 32, wouldn't reveal his preferences or the terms of the offers he has received, but the top center fielder on the market said he doesn't plan to take long to make a decision.

''I'm weighing my options,'' said Hunter, a two-time All-Star who has won Gold Gloves the last seven seasons for the Minnesota Twins. ''Next week, I'm going to break everything down. I don't want to go to the winter meetings [Dec. 3-6]. If I have to, I will, but I don't want to.''

Hunter is expected to contact his top team or teams as early as Tuesday. The Sox remain confident that's when they'll get a call.

At least five teams have made offers to Hunter. According to baseball sources, all are for five years, with the exception of the Rangers' six-year offer, and the teams include the Los Angeles Dodgers, who are expected to go after Hunter aggressively if their trade talks with the Florida Marlins for third baseman Miguel Cabrera break down.

The New York Yankees, who are shopping center fielder Melky Cabrera for pitching, could become a formidable sixth suitor if they can trade Cabrera by early next week.

But barring a latecomer blowing Hunter away with an unforeseen offer, the Sox and Rangers appear to be clear front-runners. And the fact the Sox look closer to being a contender again could trump the advantages of playing near his home in the Dallas area.

Hunter was careful to stress that ''right now, I'm open [to all offers].'' But he came away from two recent meetings with Sox officials clearly impressed with general manager Ken Williams.

''Nobody in Chicago has to worry about Kenny,'' Hunter said. ''He wants to win. You've got to like that. ... Kenny Williams comes with it. He's impressive.''

The Kansas City Royals and Washington Nationals also have made offers. The Twins have not made a serious effort since making a three-year, $45 million offer during the season.

The Sox have made Hunter a primary focus of their offseason retooling and have told free-agent targets they plan to win again immediately, not rebuild for two or three years down the road.

That would be a major selling point to Hunter, who was a team leader on Minnesota's four American League Central champions over the last six seasons but won only one playoff series in that stretch.

Hicks, whose six-year offer is believed to be worth just under $15 million per year, might be willing to spend more to land Hunter, and Hunter has a strong relationship with Rangers manager Ron Washington. But the Rangers don't appear to be close to contending, even with a big-spending winter.

And Hicks' most famous free-agent deal, Alex Rodriguez's record 10-year, $252 million deal before the 2001 season, got him nothing but last-place finishes in Rodriguez's three seasons in Texas before he was traded to the Yankees.

"the White Sox as the leading suitor — followed by the Royals, Dodgers and Rangers"

really? if thats true then we do have a great shot at getting him, if thats the correct order. no way, i dont think he goes to kc even if theyt offer the best deal.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Awesome idea, hitless.

The end result would be the same, so why give him the money sooner? A career ending injury could occur. I think you are right, it is the correct way to analyze the contract, he seems by year four everyone is overpaid by performance or underpaid by what other guys who have signed new contracts are getting.

Would any hometown discount be the Rangers, the Twins, or Pine Bluff AR? :lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:01 PM)
The end result would be the same, so why give him the money sooner? A career ending injury could occur. I think you are right, it is the correct way to analyze the contract, he seems by year four everyone is overpaid by performance or underpaid by what other guys who have signed new contracts are getting.

Would any hometown discount be the Rangers, the Twins, or Pine Bluff AR? :lol:

i wonder, if it would entice him more to build in escalators based on playing performance or lack of DL stints to add a 6th year. obviously it would have to be a good escalator clause so we dont get hosed, but if it's right, i dont see a problem with it.

QUOTE(toasty @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
i wonder, if it would entice him more to build in escalators based on playing performance or lack of DL stints to add a 6th year. obviously it would have to be a good escalator clause so we dont get hosed, but if it's right, i dont see a problem with it.

yea. and little perks like how they put in contracts; more money for winning mvp, all star appearances, silver sluggers, gold gloves, etc.

From today's Minneapolis Daily Fishwrap:

Twins standing firm on 3-year offer to Hunter

The outfielder reportedly has received five-year offers from two other teams.

By Joe Christensen, Star Tribune

Last update: November 20, 2007 – 9:37 PM

Torii Hunter has received two five-year offers on the free-agent market from other teams, but the Twins have not budged from their three-year, $45 million offer, a person close to the negotiations said Tuesday.

Hunter's agent, Larry Reynolds, called Twins General Manager Bill Smith in an attempt to spur their talks last week, and neither side has come forward with a new proposal.

Asked if he was confident the Twins would get a final shot to negotiate before Hunter signs with another team, Smith declined to comment, maintaining his policy on all negotiations.

With each passing day, there are increasing signs the Twins are ready to part ways with the seven-time Gold Glove winner.

A Chicago Sun-Times report said the Chicago White Sox could have Hunter signed within the week, although Hunter told the Star Tribune he is not close to an agreement with any team.

"I promise you, it won't be this week," he said. "I don't want to think about that while I'm eating turkey. I want to spend the whole weekend relaxing with my family."

Hunter and Reynolds spent Monday evening at the home of Texas Rangers owner Tom Hicks.

Rangers manager Ron Washington flew in from New Orleans to be there with General Manager Jon Daniels, along with Hicks' sons, Alex and Tom Jr.

"That family was first-class," Hunter said. "They're nice people, down to earth, and the food was good, too."

Hunter, who lives outside Dallas in Prosper, Texas, had met previously with Daniels and Washington.

Hunter also has met with White Sox GM Ken Williams, along with Kansas City Royals GM Dayton Moore and manager Trey Hillman.

The Los Angeles Dodgers, meanwhile, are among the teams whose interest in Hunter could hinge on their ability to make other moves, such as obtaining Florida Marlins third baseman Miguel Cabrera.

Hunter declined to list all the teams involved or detail the negotiations.

"It's a life-changing decision, so I'm not going to make it in a rush," he said. "I'm still in listening mode. I'm not leaning toward anybody. Next week a lot of things could change, so you've just got to let everything play itself out."

Hunter did say he'd prefer to sign his new deal before the winter meetings start Dec. 3 in Nashville.

"If it were up to me," he said, "I'd make a decision in the next 10 days."

Hunter rejected the Twins' three-year offer in late August without making a counterproposal. When the Twins had an exclusive 15-day negotiating window with him after the World Series, he tabled the discussions until other teams could make offers.

Even now, with the talks remaining stalled, Hunter said: "I understand. They have other things they need to think about like signing Johan [santana]."

Smith said waiting for Hunter's decision hasn't left the team with its hands tied.

"It's not something we can force," Smith said. "It could happen tomorrow, or it could happen a month from now."

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:30 PM)
Somebody get Hunter some deep-dish and hot dogs, quick!

For an Arkansas man, the Texas BBQ would win.

Lou's Deep Dish >> Texas BBQ >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chicago Hot Dogs

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Since he received a nice $15 mil per year offer from the Twins, will he be a greedy SOB who only cares about the money if he signs with the Sox instead of staying with Minny?

the difference is the twins are only offering 3 years, thats it. the sox are offering 5. but yea, twins fans will think that

Edited by Melissa1334

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Only if the Sox have the highest offer.

From what I have read, he seems disapointed that he does not have a HUGE national recognition. He is nationally recognized, but not to the extent he would like to be. That is due to being on a small market club. So, I think that gives Chicago and LA an edge. But, the wildcard is Texas. He lives only 45 minutes from the Ballpark in Arlington. That in itself could be an incentive.

From what I have read, he seems disapointed that he does not have a HUGE national recognition. He is nationally recognized, but not to the extent he would like to be. That is due to being on a small market club. So, I think that gives Chicago and LA an edge. But, the wildcard is Texas. He lives only 45 minutes from the Ballpark in Arlington. That in itself could be an incentive.

I hope so. The further that overrated ego-maniac is from USCF the better.

QUOTE(SoxFanInDallas @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 08:49 PM)

Yea Ken Griffey Jr also decided to go to his hometown team... how is that working out for him? We should really admire that Buerhle took a discount to stay in Chicago instead of going to his hometown St. Louis Cardinals.

Edited by GreatScott82

So if Griffey stayed in Seattle, he would have stayed healthy? I don't think so. In fact, we may want to consider Griffey's career when thinking about Hunter seeing as they both played on turf for their whole careers up until age 31, and are, I guess, somewhat alike as players. Is Hunter the next Griffey?

QUOTE(G&T @ Nov 21, 2007 -> 10:27 PM)
Score just reported that th Dodgers may have offered Hunter a 6 year deal for over $100 million.

Stress may have.

I wouldn't mind that. That would make (most likely) Andre Ethier expendable.

Of course, I doubt the Sox would pick him. He's just a quality baseball player, not a 'name' player which Kenny appears to want this winter.