Play GM: What would you do?

Lemon_44

If i could be Sox GM for this off season here's the moves i'd like to see happen. I think these will give the Sox speed, power,defense and a deeper, effective bullpen. Plus, i think it would be pretty cost effective.

Move 1-if rumors are correct, i would trade Konerko to Anaheim for Figgins, Kotchman, and Santana. I personally think Anaheim would balk at that but it's out there so i'm doing it.

Move 2-trade Garland to Milwaukee. In return you get Corey Hart and Derrick Turnbow. The Brewers desperately need another quality SP and have plenty of hitting where they could give up Hart.With Hart in RF you could move Dye to 1B.He's athletic enough to easily make the switch.

move 3- trade a prospect or two to LA for Rafael Furcal. He probably won't cost a ton to get because LA wants to rid themselves of his contract and they have Hu in the wings.

with these moves the Sox wouldn't have to do much in free agency and their lineup would look something like this:

CF-Figgins-speed

SS-Furcal-speed,handles bat

1B-Dye-power

DH-Thome-power

LF-Fields-power

RF-Hart-speed, power

C-AJ-we know what we have

3B-Crede-bounce back year

2B-Richar-speed

bench-Owens, Kotchman, Sweeney,Ozuna,Lucy

SP-Buehrle, Vazquez, Contreras,Danks, Floyd

BP-Jenks, Turnbow, Thornton, Santana, Logan, Wasserman

I'm not sure the angels trade was spec or not but every time i heard about it konerko Along with garland was the deal. Which to me makes more sense as far as business goes. I would be against the trade completely though. garland 4 life

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:48 AM)
I'm not sure the angels trade was spec or not but every time i heard about it konerko Along with garland was the deal. Which to me makes more sense as far as business goes. I would be against the trade completely though. garland 4 life

No, you have it wrong, it is timo4life

just off the top of my head, i'd make winning in 2008 of utmost importance. i'd know that the fans are finicky and won't take 2 years of bad baseball in a row without a serious drop in attendance & revenue. (Thus harming future plans) I wouldn't put a significant plan for 09, 10, 11 seasons in place by sacrificing 2008.

thus the moves/trades that I'd make would be minor.

* Keep all of the starters. Have Contreras, Floyd, Danks battle for 4 & 5 spots in the rotation during spring training. The odd man out would go to the pen and serve as long-relief.

* Move Josh Fields over to LF and sign either Rowand or Hunter for CF. (keep Owens as a 4th OF)

* Bring in a mid-level 2B to compete with Danny Richar for 2B. Loser takes a Rob Mackowiak bench type position. (Graffanino, Grudzelanek, etc)

* Sign David Eckstein for SS

* Sign 2-3 solid pen guys to go along with Jenks, Wasserman, Logan, Thornton and the loser of the Starting staff.

1. Eckstein

2. Rowand/Hunter

3. Konerko

4. Thome

5. Dye

6. AJ

7. Crede

8. Fields

9. Richar/2B

Bench

1. Hall- C

2. Ozuna- IF/OF

3. Owens- OF

4. Backup 2B/SS

1. Buehrle

2. Garland

3. Vazquez

4. Danks/Floyd/Contreras

5. Danks/Floyd/Contreras

Pen

1. F/A

2. F/A

3. Loser of SP battle

4. Thornton

5. Wassermann

6. Logan

7. Jenks

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 10:53 AM)
just off the top of my head, i'd make winning in 2008 of utmost importance. i'd know that the fans are finicky and won't take 2 years of bad baseball in a row without a serious drop in attendance & revenue. (Thus harming future plans) I wouldn't put a significant plan for 09, 10, 11 seasons in place by sacrificing 2008.

thus the moves/trades that I'd make would be minor.

* Keep all of the starters. Have Contreras, Floyd, Danks battle for 4 & 5 spots in the rotation during spring training. The odd man out would go to the pen and serve as long-relief.

* Move Josh Fields over to LF and sign either Rowand or Hunter for CF. (keep Owens as a 4th OF)

* Bring in a mid-level 2B to compete with Danny Richar for 2B. Loser takes a Rob Mackowiak bench type position. (Graffanino, Grudzelanek, etc)

* Sign David Eckstein for SS

* Sign 2-3 solid pen guys to go along with Jenks, Wasserman, Logan, Thornton and the loser of the Starting staff.

1. Eckstein

2. Rowand/Hunter

3. Konerko

4. Thome

5. Dye

6. AJ

7. Crede

8. Fields

9. Richar/2B

Bench

1. Hall- C

2. Ozuna- IF/OF

3. Owens- OF

4. Backup 2B/SS

1. Buehrle

2. Garland

3. Vazquez

4. Danks/Floyd/Contreras

5. Danks/Floyd/Contreras

Pen

1. F/A

2. F/A

3. Loser of SP battle

4. Thornton

5. Wassermann

6. Logan

7. Jenks

I'd rather keep Garland as well but,i think, it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be moved. As for forgetting the Brewer trade,why? There's nothing on the FA market so Garland will have a premium value. If the Brewers had a guy like Garland last year they would've made the playoffs. I agree the Angels trade isn't likely. Maybe Figgins OR Kotchman with Santana would be a possibility.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Nov 2, 2007 -> 11:19 AM)
If KW can't get a package he likes for one of our starters, then Jason's roster is probably almost exactly what we will see

If Rowand AND Eckstein are on this team,i'm cancelling my MLB extra innings(only way i can follow the Sox from Ohio) and am not going to make 2-3 trips to Chicago to see them play. :angry:

25-man roster:

Starting Pitching: Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, Danks, Contreras

Da 'Pen: Jenks, Wassermann, Broadway, Logan, Floyd, Linebrink

1b-Konerko

2b-Matsui

ss-Uribe

3b-Crede

lf-Fields

cf-Rowand

rf-Dye

dh-Thome

c-Pierzynski

Bench: Hall, Graffanino, Mackowiak, Owens, Ozuna

Edited by Beastly

I guess I don't understand why trading Garland is a foregone conclusion. Just because a couple of sportswriters keep saying it? Those guys have never, ever been right about Sox trades. They usually have to find out about the genuine trades from out-of-town writers. I think Kenny learned his lesson about trading away pitchers you can count on for kids. If not, he's stupid.

1st off, if that Angels trade were to happen...you don't put kotchman on the bench.

As far as what I'd do. This is in no order.

1) trade a SP. If there is a way to steal Gonzalez from Zona, or a Martinez/Gomez/Milledge from NYM then I would go for it. If not, then take a couple lesser prospects from elsewhere. Someone had that Seattle deal before for Clement and I am drawing a blank on the Power OF prospect. If 4 and 6 happen, i'd be ok with the seattle deal. One other team of interest is the Cards w/ Rasmus. I have a lot of STL fans who said they may deal him for max players in hopes of making one last run at the strengthening central w/ their vets. If so, try it. If not, Toronto has a lot of OF prospects too.

2) Sign Linebrink. I don't care what it costs, a veteran arm in the pen could go a long way. At worst, we deal him at the deadline b/c u know BP will be a hot commodity.

3) If there was any chance to a deal to Anahiem with Paulie, I do it. I'd change the big rumor and get more prospects but either way it would have to revolve around Kotchman and I just don't see it. However, if they don't get Arod they have to make a splash to counter the Dodgers move of signing Torre. They have been trying to steal the LA market with how bad the Dodgers have been and the Torre hiring w/ potential players they could have will surely make anahiem have to go back to Anahiem.

4) Sign Hunter or Rowand. I prefer Hunter. I love A-row but Hunter to me can bring a swagger to us. We don't have it and need that swagger. It also brings a little changing of the guard, one of the best players in our division and most hated rival is now on the Sox. Sort of like Albert Belle but i think this is a better move (not that Belle wasn't those first 2 years).

5) I'd put Contreras in the bullpen. To me, he could be effective. Lots of arm angles and movement on his stuff will be hard to adapt to for an inning or two. If not, dump his contract on someone. Maybe the Yanks in 6. Or if we get 6 for cheap then it's a wash.

6) Deal Crede for a cheap Damon. I'll take the risk on Damon in LF for like 6 mil a year. Plus it gives time for one or two of those prospects from the Garland deal to develop. If they will do Abreu and ask for a prospect arm. Go for it..

7) Deal Anderson or Sweeney, maybe both or a hotter name prospect for Jonathan Sanchez from SF. He once was promising as a SP and is now in the BP. 25 years old and they're putting He and Lowry on the market in hopes of bringing in some guys.

8) Players on the Trade block I would target no matter how much or what they want....Bedard, Cabrera, Crawford,

9) Players I'd target on trade block and do for cheap.....Tejada, Dunn, Griffey, Furcal, Bay

10) We don't look like we are going to compete in this division for a few years so I wouldn't mind a massive firesale, including Thome's NTC rear and load up in hopes of doing what these teams have done to us. You gotta be bad to become good when you are cheap. We're cheap for our market and this is our first top 10 pick since Frank. We need more, we need better scouting, and need to deal our good players for as many hopefuls as possible. Sounds crazy but look at the teams on top of our division...Tigers, did it. Indians, did it. Twins, enh...they are just good at scouting but they did it late 90's. Royals, did it...We are the only team too proud or stubborn to have a couple years in the cellar. We'd rather have a mediocre team that lets us down.

I'd rather load up with talent, build, see what we have. Trade the overstock a few years down the road. Then use that money we can spend to bring in the pieces. We should be one of the biggest revenue teams in a baseball so we could double what teams like the Marlins spend when they finally make their run. Follow exactly what Detroit has done for instance and do the same thing (just pass on the aging/injury risk Boras clients)

No Eckstein please!

Edited by Chombi and the Fungi

OK, I'll throw my ideas in here...

--Buyout Uribe and let him go.

--No contract for Pods, he can go too.

--Trade Garland for Furcal plus either a little cash or a prospect.

--Sign Rowand or Hunter ideally, or maybe DeJesus or Crisp if necessary. Owens should be the backup plan to those.

--Give Bourgeois a shot at the 2B job in ST, open competition with Richar, and the loser gets the middle infield bench role.

--If you can get something good for Crede in trade (preferably prospects or bullpen help), now or in ST, then do that.

--Also if that happens, sign Geoff Jenkins to play LF, move Fields to 3B

--Sign Mack or Gload or a similar player to backup 1B, corner OF and bring a decent bat to the bench

--Trade MacD if you can get something good for him

Now your 2008 team looks like this...

Lineup:

1. Furcal, SS

2. Rowand/Hunter, CF

3. Thome, DH

4. Konerko, 1B

5. Dye, RF

6. Crede, 3B --OR-- Jenkins, LF

7. Fields, LF --OR-- 3B

8. Pierzynski

9. Richar/Bourgeois, 2B

Bench:

Hall, C

Ozuna, LF-3B-PR/PH

Other of Richar/Bourgeois, 2B-SS

Owens, OF

Mackowiak/Gload/???, LF-RF-1B

Rotation:

Buehrle

Vaz

Conteras

Danks/Floyd/Gio/Egbert/Broadway

Danks/Floyd/Gio/Egbert/Broadway

Bullpen:

Jenks

Wassermann

Logan

Broadway/Danks/Floyd (whichever doesn't make it as the starter)

Broadway/Danks/Floyd (whichever doesn't make it as the starter)

*One of the young fireballers (Day, Russell, Aadrsma, Hernandez, etc.)

Which gives you a salary in the ballpark of $112M, give or take (depends on if there is cash offsetting Furcal, Jenkins' cost, a few small ones). Last year was about $103M.

We only need better middle relief help. We have plenty of players in our system to play CF, if they can step up. Fields in LF and Crede at 3B. If we really want a new CF'er than Hunter or Rowand. SS will most likely be Uribe again and hopefully Ozzie puts his boot in the guys rear to get him to be more selective at the plate. We need one of two more set uip guys in the pen and we will be contenders. We lost because of injuries to Crede and Ozuna and career poor performances by some hitters, but mostly because of that pen. You don't trade from strength in one area to improve another without real solid options.

I just wanted to clarify what I did with my 25-man roster.

-Kept Garland and Contreras, we would deal them at the deadline if we suck then and just ate some salary.

-Signed Linebrink and sent Floyd (the loser of him and Danks) to the bullpen and signed Linebrink.

-Signed Kazuo Matsui to play second base, just because I liked him on Colorado, I don't know why exactly.

-Brought back Uribe since there simply was not a good option to use for the shortstop position in our organization or in the free agent market.

-Bring back Mackowiak and Graffanino to fill the void on the bench.

-Sign Rowand when Hunter and Williams b**** at each other and we can't close the deal.

25-man roster:

Starting Pitching: Buehrle, Vazquez, Garland, Danks, Contreras

Da 'Pen: Jenks, Wassermann, Broadway, Logan, Floyd, Linebrink

1b-Konerko

2b-Matsui

ss-Uribe

3b-Crede

lf-Fields

cf-Rowand

rf-Dye

dh-Thome

c-Pierzynski

Bench: Hall, Graffanino, Mackowiak, Owens, Ozuna

Seems like I'm in the vast minority here, but why move Fields to LF? I would rather deal Crede and give Fields the job. He showed me enough... plus he's a few years younger and would free up some salary to fill other needs... namely CF, SS, bullpen.

I have no problem with giving Owens another shot (hopefully in LF instead of CF, but it depends on what else we do). Same with Richar at 2B.

I would not break the bank for Tori Hunter. I'd rather see what CF prospect we could get in a trade (for Crede? Garland? Konerko? Hell... Thome?) I'm thinking someone along the lines of Milledge (Mets).

I do not want to see Uribe's bat in this lineup next year. I'm ok with bringing in a field-first guy at SS, but at least let him be capable of making contact, drawing a walk, bunting, stealing, etc. Uribe ain't that guy.

The Angels definitely seem like a potential trading partner, specifically involving Garland. Between Figgins, Aybar, Izturis, Santana... there's a package in there somewhere we can work out.

No to Eckstein. F A-Rod.

My two cents.