Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

Hmmm, looks like my off-season wish maybe coming true;

So much for a quiet off-season.

On the first day of the winter meetings in Orlando, Fla., White Sox general manager Kenny Williams barely had time to fire off an e-mail.

"I'm a little busy now,'' Williams said on Monday night. "This is crazy here.''

It figures to get crazier, since the Sox have an excess of the one thing (starting pitching) most teams want.

The first order of business is shortstop Juan Uribe. The White Sox have until Wednesday to decide whether to pick up his $5 million option, but Williams said the club won't make a decision until the deadline hits.

Williams isn't tipping his hand in regard to Uribe's future on the South Side, but it is believed the 29-year-old shortstop is finished with the Sox. While his waistline expanded over the last three seasons, Uribe's batting average and on-base percentage declined.

If the White Sox do indeed cut ties with Uribe, they would be looking at filling another hole. Here is a look at the players they are likely to be pursuing this winter:

Shortstop: With Edgar Renteria off the market -- he was traded from the Atlanta Braves to the Detroit Tigers right after the World Series ended -- the pickings are much more limited.

Don't be surprised if the Sox make a trade for Pittsburgh Pirates shortstop Jack Wilson, while the San Diego Padres' Khalil Greene is also a possibility.

If the Sox opt for the free-agency route, David Eckstein is the logical candidate.

Center field: Williams loves free agent Torii Hunter. So does White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen and just about everyone else who has ever watched a baseball game.

But as Guillen often said toward the end of the 2007 season, the Sox are going to be very hard-pressed to come up with the $72 million the 32-year-old Hunter wants over five years.

In addition, Aaron Rowand also appears too pricey to return to the White Sox.

Looking for dark horses? Milwaukee's Bill Hall is one, and free agent Corey Patterson would be another if Scott Boras weren't his agent.

But the 28-year-old Patterson, who batted .269 and stole 37 bases for the Baltimore Orioles in 2007, is the type of "younger'' player at which the Sox are looking.

Second base: If the Sox decide Danny Richar is not the answer, they have several possibilities on the free-agent market.

In addition to bringing back Tadahito Iguchi, other second basemen available are Marcus Giles, Kazuo Matsui and Tony Graffanino.

Bullpen: The Sox are looking for multiple relief pitchers, as are most teams. One name to file away is Japan's old Hitoki Iwase.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it. Furcal is talked about on here constantly, and with Garland available via trade, it seems like the Sox fit well with the Dodgers for trade. And yet, I don't think I've seen Furcal mentioned even once by the press as a target for the Sox. KW did tell MB and hinted to the media that moves could be big - I am hoping Furcal is the big "surprise", that isn't really a surprise to us.

Goodbye Juan...don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out...not that you would feel it...

While the other options aren't exactly the most exciting ones, I can't take another year of watching him swing at s***, look ugly doing it, start getting lazier on defense, and most of all, show up to spring training resembling the body of Cecil Fielder more and more each year.

Edited by chisox72

Bruce Levine stated that the SS trade will be made by Wednesday in order to make a decision on Uirbe. We also have been lead to believe that the Josh Fields position will be settled........could the SS come via a trade for Fields or Crede (ie Crede/Furcal or Fields/Hu)?

Levine also said that there is a market for Jason Marquis and the cubs and Sox were going after Crawford. He also said Crawford is 30. I hate Bruce Levine he is a dope. Marquis has essentially been left off the playoff roster two consecutive years.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 08:17 AM)
Bruce Levine stated that the SS trade will be made by Wednesday in order to make a decision on Uirbe. We also have been lead to believe that the Josh Fields position will be settled........could the SS come via a trade for Fields or Crede (ie Crede/Furcal or Fields/Hu)?

Levine also said that there is a market for Jason Marquis and the cubs and Sox were going after Crawford. He also said Crawford is 30. I hate Bruce Levine he is a dope. Marquis has essentially been left off the playoff roster two consecutive years.

I don't know why Bruce Levine gets any credibility. If you say enough s***, eventually something will be right. The difference between 30 and 26 is a huge one, but it doesn't matter because I won't for a second believe the Sox would ever land Carl Crawford.

If we have our SS by tomorrow I will be rather surprised.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
Khalil Greene would put up monster numbers in the Cell. I think Jack Wilson is an upgrade over Uribe, especially if Ozzie wants a team that he can put hit-and-runs on, etc.

yeah khal greene doesnt put up the high obp youd really like to see, but its better than uribes and he provides just as good of defense if not better, is a marketable player and hit 27 Hr in PETCO last year and hes still cheap....i really cant imagine that the padres would trade him...its not like matt bush is pushign his heals

Khalil Greene is an entirely different player away from Petco.

Greene G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS AVG OBP SLG OPS

Home 76 291 36 63 15 3 12 40 15 77 1 0 .216 .258 .412 .670

Away 77 320 53 92 29 0 15 57 17 51 3 0 .288 .322 .519 .840

Not often you see someone whose splits are that wide and favor his road stats rather than home. Clearly a case of a guy who would benefit from a trade.

What intrigues me about him isn't the home runs... it's the doubles. 29 doubles in 320 at-bats on the road??? Our team leader last year had 34 doubles total - home and road.

Edited by scenario

QUOTE(BigEdWalsh @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
If it's any of those guys, please let it be Jack Wilson. Sure, Khalil Greene would hit about 30 hrs, but his ba/obp probably wouldn't be that great and you could count on 130 or so Ks. The Sox don't need another guy like that.

I like Jack Wilson...but Khalil is a significantly better hitter than he is. It's not like Jack is an OBP machine.

QUOTE(CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Reading what the press writes is the same as reading Soxtalk. It's all speculative except for the occasional fact like the Sox have til Wednesday to decide to pick up Uribe's option. Outside of that I put no credence whatsoever in it.

It makes sense though that KW would want to know who his SS will be if they aren't going to pick up Uribe's option tomorrow.

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)

Not often you see someone whose splits are that wide and favor his road stats rather than home. Clearly a case of a guy who would benefit from a trade.

What intrigues me about him isn't the home runs... it's the doubles. 29 doubles in 320 at-bats on the road??? Our team leader last year had 34 doubles total - home and road.

since petco is such a difficult HR park, it usually means lots of doubles...im surprised his away doubles are higher than home...but then again the NL west has a few parks that are similar...lots of big gaps in the NL west

Wow ! That article was so sad and depressing. An article about the Sox possible offseason moves and only one player is mentioned that even interests or excites me. And, that's Hunter. And, even for him I wouldn't recommend that the Sox spend the kind of money that he'll get.

How sad. Eckstein, Uribe, Wilson, Greene ? Who cares ? What's the difference ? Mediocrity or mediocrity ?

Atleast Uribe wouldn't cost us any players to acquire him so I vote for keeping him if they can't make any substantial improvement.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

QUOTE(scenario @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:20 AM)

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 10:31 AM)
since petco is such a difficult HR park, it usually means lots of doubles...im surprised his away doubles are higher than home...but then again the NL west has a few parks that are similar...lots of big gaps in the NL west

How about the strikeouts. Looks like he tries to make up for the larger dimensions by doing too much.

I like Jack Wilson...but Khalil is a significantly better hitter than he is.

How do you figure Greene is a significantly better hitter than Wilson?

I'm not a huge stats guy, but Wilson is a career .269 hitter, trending up. Greene is .254 for his career. Their walk rate is basically the same. Greene strikes out a ton more than Wilson. Their career on base % is identical.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Nov 6, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)

That would seem to make sense... but it's not what happened. He averaged a double every 10-15 at bats in the NL West away parks. (3 in 42 at Coors; 3 in 31 at Dodgers Stadium; 3 in 39 at AT&T; 2 in 36 at Chase Field).

But he hit 3 in 13 at bats at Safeco; 3 in 12 at Tropicana; 3 in 13 at Great American; 3 in 14 at Shea Stadium.

So he actually hit more doubles per at bat outside the NL West, not in it.