Uribe Re-signed

DBAHO

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should all keep in mind that this may end up meaning absolutely nothing. The team now has Uribe locked in for $4.5M for 2008, and I'd suspect they are still looking to deal. Uribe is the backup plan. He may or may not be the starting SS. So in other words, we still know nothing.

Correct. All this means is they have a signed player for 2008 for $4.5M.

They could turn around and trade him tomorrow.

Even if they talk to the press and say "we think Juan will do better, lose weight, hit better" it means nothing.

If nothing else materializes, they have him at SS. But clearly they are unhappy with him. Doing this just gives them a bit more leverage in any talks they're having about other shortstops.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 10:51 AM)
Where did you see the $4.5M number? It wasn't in the Rosenthal article.

The $4.5 million number is being reported by the Score.

The Rosenthal story does say, "Williams said the team re-signed Uribe for a lower salary."

The White Sox Press Release also refers to $4.5 million as the amount.

Edited by thomsonmi

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 10:50 AM)
From 2004 to 2007

HRs 34-26-24-18

SLG .534-.515-.498-.442

OPS+ 131-128-126-109

I'd call that a trend.

I'd call 2007 an out lier.

A 5 point trend down from 2004 to 2006, and then a drop of 17 while he battled wrist injuries? That's having an injury that affects your ability to hit for power, not a trend downwards.

How about his average and on-base?

AVG .311-.304-.330-.296

OBP .360-.349-.379-.357

I see no trends, other than an injury to the wrists causing problems with power.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 10:04 AM)
I think if they trade Crede, there's still a good chance Eckstein comes here. Sorry Rock Raines. The White Sox have thought that Uribe may be better if not a regular but a guy that moves around like his first year with the White Sox.

How do people think Uribe would do in the Of spots these days? How was he back in 04 when he spent time in CF for those who can remember?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:02 PM)
I'd call 2007 an out lier.

A 5 point trend down from 2004 to 2006, and then a drop of 17 while he battled wrist injuries? That's having an injury that affects your ability to hit for power, not a trend downwards.

How about his average and on-base?

AVG .311-.304-.330-.296

OBP .360-.349-.379-.357

I see no trends, other than an injury to the wrists causing problems with power.

I agree with you, I don't think it's a trend at all. But, to be fair, the wrist had nothing to do with it. He came back from the injury to put up his best numbers in August. He's just very inconsistent. 2004 was a fluke good year, 2007 was a fluke bad year, 2005 & 2006 were about the same, and about what I'd expect to see. Maybe a little less, given the age.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 11:11 AM)
I appreciate the passion but don't understand the freakout.

They really had no choice if they didn't trade for another SS.

There was no viable in-house alternative.

That is pretty much where I am at. At worst, you have the same stuff you had before, but at least the guy can play some D, which if Fields is our 3B, we will really value. Obviously there was nothing out there, and you can't have your back up plan being Pablo Ozuna and Andy Gonzalez. If you hate Juan Uribe, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Williams was quoted in todays paper that things will not fall into place quickly this year. He said the Sox will need to see how the whole FA market shakes out. Once those dominos fall it opens up the trade market to a greater extent.

Yes, teams will make trades before all the FA's are signed and I expect the White Sox will be included. I do suspect though that their "plan" won't show its true colors until late January. Unfortunately, it will take time IMO.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
I'm afraid I don't know. I bet someone here does, but I'm not that guy.

I remember this topic from the past there is some sort of mlb rule on trading players that have just signed a contract. Problem is I dont remember it was just FA contracts and/or how long a player is non tradeable after signing a deal.

From mlbtraderumors.com, “Not coincidentally, the Sox no longer have interest in Miguel Tejada after failing to reach an accord with the O's. Apparently at some point Kenny Williams offered Gio Gonzalez and Jose Contreras for him and were rejected. Gio is a pretty solid pitching prospect, and if he offered that package a year ago it may have been reasonable”

Hmm then more I think about this the more I realize that Uribe is plan B, but perhaps just a part of plan B. Everyone knows what you would get from Eckstein, you will get a guy who can hit for average, hit situationally, and get on base (all things Uribe can’t). The point is after failing to get Tejada the white sox my still be hot on Eckstein, the only knack being as hes getting older he has found himself on the dl a little more. Hence Uribe the ultimate backup/insurance. Ecsktein will still give you a .300 AVG and .350 OBP when hes out there say 120 games. Uribe would then be his backup in the other games or his insurance in case of something more sever. Uribe would also provide depth at 2B incase Richar just doesn’t work out at all and he must be sent down. So it could be that the sox spent $4.5 mil on Uribe just to be the super INF backup/insurance guy. Basically a beefed up Cintron who really would probably only make $1-$1.5 Mil more than cintron anyway (as a bench player). Hmmmmmm.

From roto

White Sox agreed to terms with shortstop Juan Uribe on a one-year, $4.5 million contract.

Uribe has posted sub-.300 OBPs the last two years and he's lost a step on defense because he's carrying some extra weight, but we'd still take him over Omar Vizquel for next season. $4.5 million is a nice compromise. He gets a $350,000 raise over what he made last season, and the White Sox save $500,000 from what they would have paid had they exercised their option. The team is likely to bring in another shortstop option in order to push Uribe. What they want is for him to show up at camp in great shape and prove that he deserves the job.

Eckstein is a career .286 hitter. He does have a higher OBP than Uribe, but Uribe has a higher slugging percentage. http://www.baseball-reference.com/e/eckstda01.shtml.

To me Uribe and Eckstein is a coin flip. They have different strengths and weaknesses, but neither is spectacular. If you look at their OPS+ stats, they are both below average hitters.

I don't know, neither blow me away, Uribe is fine as long as they upgrade other positions

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 07:08 PM)
From roto

I agree with the move, especially if Uribe spends the offseason getting in shape instead of shooting people off the palatial ranch :P

David Eckstein would cost this team defensively with his limited range and noodle arm....

Edited by Allsox

QUOTE(Allsox @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
I agree with the move, especially if Uribe spends the offseason getting in shape

Round is a shape.

90 loss team and we keep bringing back more members of it. It was funny, at the ASB Kenny was talking about changes. the only changes are that we got rid of Gooch and Mack. The band is still back together.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Nov 7, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
Round is a shape.

90 loss team and we keep bringing back more members of it. It was funny, at the ASB Kenny was talking about changes. the only changes are that we got rid of Gooch and Mack. The band is still back together.

Its early November.

Now, if we end up with Uribe and no significant changes in the outfield or SS or pitching come late February, I'll be right there with you complaining. but we're not nearly there yet.