Are the White Sox a Mess ?

spiderman

Are the White Sox a mess ?

When I look at this team, I see way too many issues/concerns and holes for this to be fixed all in one off-season, and I fear that this team is just mediocre with not much upside.

- The bullpen isn't going to get the overhaul that many hope it will. I think, at most, we'll see 2 new faces from outside the organization, but most of the improvement is going to have to come from MacDougle and Thorton.

- The starting rotation has Buerhle and Vazquez. After that, I have my doubts that Garland will be back, and Contreras hasn't had a lot of success, and who knows how old he is. Denks and Floyd could both be our rotation next season, and that's not going to be good for our team ERA. Can we win with at least 2 questionable starters, and 3 if you include Contreras ?

- The offense is all or nothing, and is dependent on hitting HR's. They don't have a leadoff hitter, and they have several guys coming off bad years. They don't walk a lot, but they do strike out a lot.

- Kenny Williams seems all too willing to throw his free agent money at T.Hunter. He's a very good player, but he's 32 years old. I'd love Hunter, but we are overpaying both in years and contract.

- Juan Uribe is back.

- Who's at 3B ? It's probably going to be Fields though Crede could be here for one more year. If it is Fields at 3B, does that mean Jerry Owens will be our leadoff hitter in LF ? If true, can Owens justify the faith ?

- Is Paul Konerko going to be back ? He's got the big contract, but hasn't been as good either. He's been mentioned quite a few times in rumors to the Angels.

- What about 2B ? Is Danny Richar the man ?

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I also don't see a lot of hope here, more of a lot of pieces to puzzle, but nothing really fits, and it's all over the place.

Where am I going wrong OR am I right ?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defense, speed and pitching wins...

Defense: Uribe a great defensive shortstop in 2005 and 2006, he struggled a bit last year because he had to cover more ground with Fields at 3B. We have to remember Crede covered a lot of zone.... I think with a successful spring training together Uribe and Fields will work well together defensively in 2008. If we get Hunter thats another great defensive addition.

Pitching: I agree spiderman i am a bit worried about the rotation.. ESPECIALLY if Garland gets traded. You can't rely on Contreras to get back on track. And how can we expect both Danks and Floyd step it up? Danks showed promise in the first half but tapered off quickly after the All-star break. Floyd struggle hardcore when he got here, but than found a little groove toward the end when the season was already long gone. I don't mind having one of these pitchers in our rotation, but i don't want them both...

The bullpen.. YIKES Kenny said this will be his top priority this offseason.. I really hope it is, because it was down right HORRIBLE.

Speed: If we get Hunter for CF, that leaves LF as our only open spot (pending a Crede trade) for a speedy leadoff hitter. . With all the other possitions filled up, that also leaves the critical #2 spot open... someone who can bunt and have a solid OBP. I really don't see any #2 hitters in our lineup now that Iguchi has departed. Fields is more like a #6 or 7 hitter and so is Hunter. Uribe will likely be the 8th place hitter and Richar the 9th. . This team is pretty much assembled like the 2000-2004 team of one leadoff hitter and the rest boppers. .

But its EARLY: KW can pull of many surprises.. last year he didn't do much and the results showed that. the year before he added Thome, Mackowiack, Cintron, Vazquez and Thorton. That was a good offseason... Despite the fact they collasped in the 2nd half. This offseason he needs to do even more IMHO. Make 1 or 2 trades... get a few speedy guys in the lineup.. trade a bopper or 2 (Crede and Konerko?) hopefully trade Contreras for a team desperate for another starter.. possibly give us a decent reliever and prospect back.. Sign a Japanese reliever or 2.. Add some bench depth... Yeah this offseason is damn critical for KW...

QUOTE(max power @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:48 AM)
I completely disagree with your notion that uribe's defense had anything to do with Fields. When crede was at 3rd, he was still struggling because he got fat.

Being fat had ALOT to do with it. But come on.. Crede covered ALOT of ground out there giving Uribe a more distinguished zone to cover..

When I look at this team, I see way too many issues/concerns and holes for this to be fixed all in one off-season, and I fear that this team is just mediocre with not much upside.

- The bullpen isn't going to get the overhaul that many hope it will. I think, at most, we'll see 2 new faces from outside the organization, but most of the improvement is going to have to come from MacDougle and Thorton.

- The starting rotation has Buerhle and Vazquez. After that, I have my doubts that Garland will be back, and Contreras hasn't had a lot of success, and who knows how old he is. Denks and Floyd could both be our rotation next season, and that's not going to be good for our team ERA. Can we win with at least 2 questionable starters, and 3 if you include Contreras ?

- The offense is all or nothing, and is dependent on hitting HR's. They don't have a leadoff hitter, and they have several guys coming off bad years. They don't walk a lot, but they do strike out a lot.

- Kenny Williams seems all too willing to throw his free agent money at T.Hunter. He's a very good player, but he's 32 years old. I'd love Hunter, but we are overpaying both in years and contract.

- Juan Uribe is back.

- Who's at 3B ? It's probably going to be Fields though Crede could be here for one more year. If it is Fields at 3B, does that mean Jerry Owens will be our leadoff hitter in LF ? If true, can Owens justify the faith ?

- Is Paul Konerko going to be back ? He's got the big contract, but hasn't been as good either. He's been mentioned quite a few times in rumors to the Angels.

I don't mean to sound pessimistic, but I also don't see a lot of hope here, more of a lot of pieces to puzzle, but nothing really fits, and it's all over the place.

My opinion is you are correct. I thought this opinion was correct last year. I did it as a joke at first to play devils advocate and take the pessimist approach to my roommate, who is a glass half-full guy. As the first weeks went by though and I saw it coming true, only much worse then I thought. I didnt back off all year.

I was hoping for a huge firesale at the deadline so we would could evaluate what talent we would've gotten and see what we would need to do in FA since we wouldn't be contenders for a few years anyway. Now, the offseason has started and unless there is a few tricks up KW's sleeve, we will have another long season. Won't be as bad IMO, but it'll be bad.

There are alot of problems and issues as you said, but to our credit, our team isn't as bad as they played for 2 reasons. 1) Bad years everywhere. Somewhat flukey. (2) we play in a tough division and it takes it toll....That said, we still have a division that is only going to be one year better. So I don't see much improvement.

Our bullpen I think will bounce back. I still have faith in guys like Mike Mac, I like Thorton, Logan has grown on me, and I think we will have a couple young future SP's up in that pen this year that will help. Could we use another arm? Sure. I don't want it through FA cuz I am not spending 8 mil on a bp arm...unless...

Idk how you guys feel about it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Contreras out of the pen after watching how bad he looked all year. I've said it alot on here. I think mentally he may not have the late inning make-up but for a long or middle relief guy I think one or two innings could work out of him. He needs to throw strikes but for one inning having to see his stuff and his arm angles, it could work out. IDK, something I have been pondering.

Our offense is bad. No leadoff hitter and our power is old. I was very upset to hear Thome wanted to retire here b/c I am all for it, but I really thought he would've had some value at the deadline last season. Same goes for JD.

Richar is not our guy. We made the deal, I thought he was going to be a back-up not our starter. If he is, I'll be very upset.

Our 3rd base situation sucks. If Crede is healthy and shows he has it, I want to keep him. Maybe it's more of a personal thing but I love Joe Crede. I think his glove is so valuable and I think that with a healthy back finally maybe he'll field even better and hit. If not, I don't see a difference between he and Fields bat...Fields, idk whats going on there. KW says he wants Crede but doesnt want Fields in the OF. To me, that means one of those two is out the door. Odds are in Crede's favor, but I wouldn't be shocked for something different.

I don't mind Owens in LF. He performed better then I thought he would so why not take the gamble.

Hunter scares me but I like the move. His age is a problem but it's more of a morale thing in getting him. One of our biggest division foes is now on our side. I mean, everyone remembers that burke play and how it just sucked the life out of us. I was there that night and outside of everyone threatening to kill Hunter, it was lifeless. So a great defender, great guy, morale booster and what appears to be a vastly improved bat going into our park would be nice.

Uribe I am cool with because his last name isn't Eckstein. There really was much else out there and it wasn't like a long-term thing, it was a one year thing. I am all for it. His glove is worth 4 of that 4.5 mil.

Our rotation is Enh. Hopefully Javy can repeat. I hope MB has no pressure on him anymore and will perform. If he doesn't, send him to STL already. Garland i'd be happy to have back but I see him being moved. Jose, you know my feelings on. So that 3-4-5 spot are basically up for grab and I am excited for it. Have some youth in that rotation who need to compete for that job daily since we have such a "surplus" of young 3/4 starters in the minors.

I think I addressed all of your questions and I agree with you for the most part. God I'd like to see a firesale still. It'd be fun if you ask me. No team should have a 100 mil payroll and end up with a top 10 pick. If so, they all need to go and you can get your top 10 pick playing with kids and see what you got.

I really don't think so. Uribe is going to cover what he can cover, regardless of who is at 3rd. The fact that he made slightly more mistakes had nothing to do with crede as they were throwing and glove work mistakes. If I recall correctly, he was worse at the start of the year when crede was around.

- Juan Uribe is back.

My opinion is you are correct. I thought this opinion was correct last year. I did it as a joke at first to play devils advocate and take the pessimist approach to my roommate, who is a glass half-full guy. As the first weeks went by though and I saw it coming true, only much worse then I thought. I didnt back off all year.

I was hoping for a huge firesale at the deadline so we would could evaluate what talent we would've gotten and see what we would need to do in FA since we wouldn't be contenders for a few years anyway. Now, the offseason has started and unless there is a few tricks up KW's sleeve, we will have another long season. Won't be as bad IMO, but it'll be bad.

There are alot of problems and issues as you said, but to our credit, our team isn't as bad as they played for 2 reasons. 1) Bad years everywhere. Somewhat flukey. (2) we play in a tough division and it takes it toll....That said, we still have a division that is only going to be one year better. So I don't see much improvement.

Our bullpen I think will bounce back. I still have faith in guys like Mike Mac, I like Thorton, Logan has grown on me, and I think we will have a couple young future SP's up in that pen this year that will help. Could we use another arm? Sure. I don't want it through FA cuz I am not spending 8 mil on a bp arm...unless...

Idk how you guys feel about it, but I wouldn't mind seeing Contreras out of the pen after watching how bad he looked all year. I've said it alot on here. I think mentally he may not have the late inning make-up but for a long or middle relief guy I think one or two innings could work out of him. He needs to throw strikes but for one inning having to see his stuff and his arm angles, it could work out. IDK, something I have been pondering.

Our offense is bad. No leadoff hitter and our power is old. I was very upset to hear Thome wanted to retire here b/c I am all for it, but I really thought he would've had some value at the deadline last season. Same goes for JD.

Richar is not our guy. We made the deal, I thought he was going to be a back-up not our starter. If he is, I'll be very upset.

Our 3rd base situation sucks. If Crede is healthy and shows he has it, I want to keep him. Maybe it's more of a personal thing but I love Joe Crede. I think his glove is so valuable and I think that with a healthy back finally maybe he'll field even better and hit. If not, I don't see a difference between he and Fields bat...Fields, idk whats going on there. KW says he wants Crede but doesnt want Fields in the OF. To me, that means one of those two is out the door. Odds are in Crede's favor, but I wouldn't be shocked for something different.

I don't mind Owens in LF. He performed better then I thought he would so why not take the gamble.

Hunter scares me but I like the move. His age is a problem but it's more of a morale thing in getting him. One of our biggest division foes is now on our side. I mean, everyone remembers that burke play and how it just sucked the life out of us. I was there that night and outside of everyone threatening to kill Hunter, it was lifeless. So a great defender, great guy, morale booster and what appears to be a vastly improved bat going into our park would be nice.

Uribe I am cool with because his last name isn't Eckstein. There really was much else out there and it wasn't like a long-term thing, it was a one year thing. I am all for it. His glove is worth 4 of that 4.5 mil.

Our rotation is Enh. Hopefully Javy can repeat. I hope MB has no pressure on him anymore and will perform. If he doesn't, send him to STL already. Garland i'd be happy to have back but I see him being moved. Jose, you know my feelings on. So that 3-4-5 spot are basically up for grab and I am excited for it. Have some youth in that rotation who need to compete for that job daily since we have such a "surplus" of young 3/4 starters in the minors. It'll be bad w/ no Garland but it'll be fun to see them mature.

I think I addressed all of your questions and I agree with you for the most part. God I'd like to see a firesale still. It'd be fun if you ask me. No team should have a 100 mil payroll and end up with a top 10 pick. If so, they all need to go and you can get your top 10 pick playing with kids and see what you got.

Edited by Chombi and the Fungi

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 09:08 PM)
Am I the only person here who owns a calendar?

Of course, it's early and we have the entire off-season to make moves that will hopefully improve the team. My concern is that we have a lot of problems, and I'm sure that we're a few moves away from getting back into contention.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 08:18 PM)

- Juan Uribe is back.

Yes, the White Sox are in a big mess---as of right now.

-I hope that they sign someone to help that pen out there, it doesn't need to be a big name or a Japanese player. It just needs to be someone who comes in here and just gets on a tare and kicks ass. I can see Aardsma coming back and being a help in the 'pen this year, I believe last year was a fluke and I hope he proves everyone else wrong in ST. Hopefully MacDougal lives up to what KW wants him to be, but I'm not too high on him like I am Aardsma. Either way, the 'pen needs two more arms. I like what I see out of Wassermann, too.

-I am a bit concerned about our rotation if Buehrle and Vazquez fail and we don't add anyone this off-season, but it is only November 8th. I have a feeling the Sox will end up trading Garland at the Winter Meetings. I liked what I saw out of Broadway, I wouldn't mind if he was the No. 5 and the Sox tried to move Danks or Floyd in a package deal with some other player. If there's any way they can dump the Count, they should do it. Otherwise, I anticipate it being a challenge, but by no means a problem that cannot be fixed.

-I'm not sure that it was a good move to re-sign Dye, but maybe his fat slow ass can prove me wrong. The major issue I see is that there isn't a good leadoff hitter and I don't think our OF or 2B is set yet. I'm under the assumption that Williams will bring in Graffanino or Iguchi to platoon with Richar, because I don't think Richar is the answer at 2B. I'm still on the Rowand bandwagon, but the Sox should not go and sign Hunter, that would be a bad move IMO. He's too pricey, getting older and he wants a long-term deal. Other than that, I think it'd be fine with Fields playin in LF and if Crede is healthy, then he'll take 3B.

-Hey, at least the Sox didn't get Eckstein. Maybe Juan will lay off the quarter-pounders, booze and Mountain Dew and put down the World of Warcraft at some point in the off-season.

-I think Konerko and Crede will be back and that we will see Fields in LF after Williams said, "We will know soon of Fields' playing status for '08."

Although I didn't like that the Sox may not have pursued other options for the shortstop position and that Williams re-upped with Dye, I can't sit here and say the moves were bad. Dye could be good this year and we gave Uribe $500,000 less. Let's just sit here and see what happens in the coming weeks, because there's got to be some moves happening at the Winter Meetings.

Yes, a steady decline-as an entire organization, mostly during the Williams regime. Many of you arent old enough to remember the respected farm system we once had.

So does the weight fall on KW, or does it fall on our poor scouting, player development, where?

Do you think that a few years in the dumps would do this organization good? I don't see us being contenders with how tough this division is. So would it make sense from a business standpoint and an organization standpoint to go with the "kids can play" moto and let them develop up in the show.

We were the only team excluding NYY or maybe just the only team in general I believe to not have a top 10 pick in the last 15+ years. I forget the stat, but I believe prior to this upcoming draft we hadn't had one.

Deal for prospects, scout better both for our draft and also internationally. Then be ready for 2 years from now. 100 mil a year to get a top 10 pick is a joke.

Do we have as many question marks going into next season as we did in late 2004?

We lost Maggs to Detroit, CLee to Milwaukee, Valentin to LA, and Loaiza to NYY (at trading deadline).

We added AJ, Iguchi, Pods, Dye, Hermanson, Vizcaino, El Duque, and Everett (again), to name a few.

On 2005 Opening Day, we had 5 new positional starters and a DH, along with 2 new starting pitchers (if you count Contreras), plus a couple of new relievers (Hermie, Viz).

Are we going to have 9+ new faces for Opening Day 2008?

Edited by RME JICO

No they're not, and I'm going to make a detailed post on this tonight.

The main thing, they have the starting pitching to contend next season, IF, they decide to hold onto Garland.

A few changes mainly to the pen and bringing in a new leadoff hitter and this team can contend next season IMHO, at least for a wildcard spot.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:30 PM)
Do we have as many question marks going into next season as we did in late 2004?

We lost Maggs to Detroit, CLee to Milwaukee, Valentin to LA, and Loaiza to NYY (at trading deadline).

We added AJ, Iguchi, Pods, Dye, Hermanson, Vizcaino, El Duque, and Everett (again), to name a few.

On 2005 Opening Day, we had 5 new positional starters and a DH, along with 2 new starting pitchers (if you count Contreras), plus a couple of new relievers (Hermie, Viz).

Are we going to have 9+ new faces for Opening Day 2008?

One big difference is the White Sox in 2004 weren't a 90 loss team, and were able to add some pieces at bargain rates. Their payroll now is huge. A lot of the players they would like to move have trade values near all-time lows, and there are question marks almost everywhere. The starting rotation, the bullpen, LF, CF, is Dye more like 2005-6 or is he now like 2007 or worse? Can Crede play? Can Fields play 3rd base and make enough contact? Can Uribe put things together? Can Richar get on base enough? Is 2007 a hint that Konerko is slowing down? Will AJP have to catch 145 games? Can KW acquire someone who can come off the bench that doesn't look like he peeked in Pony league? Can Thome's back hold up? KW is going to have to juggle a lot of money here, and its going to take time. Maybe a lot of the free agent, big changes talk was hyperbole to get season ticketholders to pony up.

The main thing, they have the starting pitching to contend next season, IF, they decide to hold onto Garland.

A few changes mainly to the pen and bringing in a new leadoff hitter and this team can contend next season IMHO, at least for a wildcard spot.

Idk. I'd like to be optimistic about it but I just can't.

We have 2 holes in the OF.

Essentially 2 holes in the infield.

I am high on our bullpen's potential, but I was high on it last year. Potential is nothing but I think bp is very hard to improve.

Our rotation I just can't figure out how it's good enough to get the wild card....MB needs to pitch well. JV is giving me a Contreras vibe where I am finally content w/him, he is getting to where his stuff says he should be and then....boom...we all saw what Jose did. Garland I doubt will be here, if he is, he isn't going to make us a wild card player.

The Royals will be better. The Twins have better pitching then we do. Cleveland is better in every aspect of the game and Detroit is better all-around as well.

This team is no better then 3rd.

I do want to see what you have to say though because maybe you'll give me some hope...but please don't invest hope in moves that haven't happened yet cuz that's not going to help me. I hope what you have to say is right. :pray

I think that the Sox are the biggest mess in baseball right now. How many Top 5 teams in payroll lose 90 games? Nothing but HR or bust hitters, One very good starter 2 good starters, crap in the 4-5 spot and the worst bullpen in the majors.(Tampa gives us a run for our money though) JR is paying $100 million for s***.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
Yes, a steady decline-as an entire organization, mostly during the Williams regime. Many of you arent old enough to remember the respected farm system we once had.

Are we talking Ordonez/Lee/Crede/Garland/Buehrle, etc.?

That was 1998/1999; not that long ago.

Most of their other minor leaguers were overvalued.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 8, 2007 -> 10:46 PM)

Contend for what? As it stands, our rotation is 3rd best in the division behind CLE and MIN. Detroit may even be debatable if Miller progresses. Bonderman is certainly not as bad as he pitched last season. We have 2 holes in the rotation in Contreras and whoever is 5th. We need a lot to go right to have a rotation capable of contending with CLE, MIN, and DET pitching wise. And offensively, well, that's an entirely new story.

Edited by sircaffey

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Nov 9, 2007 -> 02:15 AM)
Wasn't the Sox' farm system rated #1 in 2000? I believe it was.

Hmmm...

Rauch, Kip Wells, Fogg, Wright, Majewski, Dellaero, Borchard, Myette, Liefer, Barcelo, Eyre, Guerrier, Ginter, Rowand, Buehrle, Crede, Garland...

At least 13 of the 17 never made much of themselves.