Nick Masset

Jack Parkman

QUOTE(beck72 @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 07:23 AM)
With SP at such a premium, a low budget team would likely take a flyer on Masset to be their 5th SP. Masset may have too many question marks for the sox to keep, with little time for Masset to answer them, as he is out of options. He didn't do that well in the relief role [which would likely be his spot on the sox], and has done better in his career as a SP. It might be better to trade him too early than too late.

As far as who might like him, I'd check teams he pitched against in AAA. He threw a few decent games vs Durham [TB], Toldeo, Buffalo and one vs. Ric [Richmond?].

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=434665

He hasn't been too impressive as a starter. Its probably why he was converted into a reliever. I doubt he has any value right now, and would doubt any team would consider him a serious candidate to be in their 2008 rotation at this time. The White Sox wanted him based on his work as a closer in the Mexican League last winter. They may use him as a throw in with a bigger trade, or just wait to see how he looks in spring training. Maybe he shocks the world and suddenly will be able to throw strikes.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 25, 2007 -> 02:00 PM)
He hasn't been too impressive as a starter. Its probably why he was converted into a reliever. I doubt he has any value right now, and would doubt any team would consider him a serious candidate to be in their 2008 rotation at this time. The White Sox wanted him based on his work as a closer in the Mexican League last winter. They may use him as a throw in with a bigger trade, or just wait to see how he looks in spring training. Maybe he shocks the world and suddenly will be able to throw strikes.

Masset actually improved his walk rate last year in Charlotte and in 2006 in AAA. I wouldn't say nick's a prime trading piece. But for a team in need of major league arms, that operates on a low budget, he has some value, whether in the bullpen or as a 5th SP. For some reason, Masset strikes me as "Jon Rauch" like.