A Johan Santana trade might be dependent on the status of Francisco Li

Linnwood

Minnesota Twins' Francisco Liriano's status pivotal

Pioneer Press

Article Last Updated: 11/24/2007 11:56:34 PM CST

The Twins say the status of Francisco Liriano won't have any affect on the status of Johan Santana. Nevertheless, it would seem Liriano's recovery from reconstructive elbow surgery nearly 13 months ago could affect whether Santana might be traded sooner rather than later. Some people think the Twins could trade Santana within three weeks.

Santana, 28, can become a free agent after the 2008 season. On the open market, he could be worth $150 million with a six-year contract.

The Twins say scouts and staff at their Dominican Republic development academy report that Liriano, 24, has been progressing as planned and should be ready for spring training in February.

There has even been talk that Liriano could pitch this winter in the Dominican Republic. His rehabilitation has ended, and the left-hander who dominated hitters in 2006 with a 12-3 record, 2.16 earned-run average and 144 strikeouts in 121 innings before his elbow injury has been throwing in the Dominican several times a week.

"He hasn't had one single setback," a Twins official said.

As for Santana, a trade appears imminent. The Dodgers, Red Sox and Yankees seem the most viable trade partners, and if it's the Dodgers, there's a decent chance that third baseman Andy LaRoche, 24, would be part of any deal. The Dodgers have the best minor league talent to offer, but the best chance for a trade with the Twins, for financial reasons, is the Red Sox and Yankees.

"The Twins could get a king's ransom for him," one astute baseball official said. "They could get the moon for him."

http://www.twincities.com/walters/ci_7551139

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 26, 2007 -> 09:02 AM)
Its not a matter of "if" its a matter of who they get for Santana. Minnesota has to make a deal during the winter when his value is at its highest. They can' t lose their two biggest franchise stars for nothing in back to back years.

As a person in the same division as the Twins...I wouldn't complain at all if they held onto him. They'd set themselves back 5 years.

Thats a horses*** offer in my opinion. I think that package would be more in line for the Jon Garland's of the world instead of the best pitcher on the planet. I realize there is the extension factor still but I think you have to get one premium player back at a minimum. On Lester and the pu pu platter do not qualify

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
What is with all the fuss over Jacoby Ellsbury? The guy is going to be a good player but you really have to question Boston is he's the one holding up a Santana trade.

I understand reluctance to part with players when it is a rent a player or a fifth starter or reliever. But for the best pitcher in the game? There is not a prospect I wouldn't trade to land Santana. Sounds like the Yankees are willing to part with Hughes. If I'm the Twins I jump on that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan99 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 01:18 PM)
I understand reluctance to part with players when it is a rent a player or a fifth starter or reliever. But for the best pitcher in the game? There is not a prospect I wouldn't trade to land Santana. Sounds like the Yankees are willing to part with Hughes. If I'm the Twins I jump on that.

I think right now the Yanks/Twins are down to haggling over who the 3rd player in the deal will be. They've pretty much established Melky and Hughes and 1 more pitcher of lower quality than Kennedy will be their offer, they just need to figure out that 3rd slot.

As for Boston...At some point I guess you have to look at what your needs are. For them, they're looking at Ortiz getting older, Manny hitting FA at the end of 08, Crisp struggling, but a fairly loaded rotation and a solid, signed IF. Their salary constraints are slightly bigger than those of the Yankees, so it might not make as much sense for them to tie down $25 million in 1 pitcher and at the same time give up most of their youth. Santana is great yeah, but is he better than what 3 league minimum players like Ellsbury and Lester will give you in addition to the $20 million they'd have to use to find a replacement for Manny?

From the Minny Star-Trib, via rotoworld:

The Minneapolis Star Tribune's Lavelle E. Neal III believes the Yankees are now offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy in return for Johan Santana.

He also says the Twins are no longer interested in a Red Sox package that includes Coco Crisp rather than Jacoby Ellsbury. If both of his beliefs are true, then it would seem as though the a trade between the Twins and Yankees would get done any day now. However, Neal goes on to say that he thinks the Mets are backing down on not offering Jose Reyes and that Santana might prefer the NL to the AL. Color us skeptical about everything presented here. Dec. 1 - 3:32 pm et

If the Yanks are actually offering that, I don't see why Santana isn't a Yankee already.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
Gotta get approval for that 72 hour negotiating window from MLB's offices.

Gp. Once that happens, though, I can't imagine the negotiations would take too long.

But yikes -- including Hughes, okay. Including two of the three...I just wouldn't do that.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
Gp. Once that happens, though, I can't imagine the negotiations would take too long.

But yikes -- including Hughes, okay. Including two of the three...I just wouldn't do that.

If I'm the Yankees, with my financial resources, if I can get a pitcher like Johan, who chews up innings and can absolutely dominate and who is even a lefty (Hi Mr. Ortiz!) and who may very well just cruise to 250 wins with me...and I can do it without giving up my #1 guy (Joba) I would give up anyone else to do it. Esp. if it keeps the Red Sox from getting in the same game.

Even without the financial constraints, how many people here would give up everything we have for Cabrera and he's only 1 more year from FA? And now what would happen if you could get him without giving up DLS?

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 04:52 PM)
If I'm the Yankees, with my financial resources, if I can get a pitcher like Johan, who chews up innings and can absolutely dominate and who is even a lefty (Hi Mr. Ortiz!) and who may very well just cruise to 250 wins with me...and I can do it without giving up my #1 guy (Joba) I would give up anyone else to do it. Esp. if it keeps the Red Sox from getting in the same game.

Even without the financial constraints, how many people here would give up everything we have for Cabrera and he's only 1 more year from FA? And now what would happen if you could get him without giving up DLS?

As good as Santana is, he's only 1/5 of a rotation. Especially for a team that has had such problems finding 5 merely competent starters, I think 2 pitchers of that caliber is too much to give up. There's something to be said for quantity as well as quality -- especially with the talent of those three.

Anyway, suppose you offer (say) Hughes, Melky, Tabata, and a lesser pitcher. Even if the Red Sox manage to beat that, at least you've taken Buchholz away.

I wouldn't give up everything for Cabrera. I'd be willing to give up a lot -- based on the idea that we'd get a lot back if we trade him later. Probably not as much, but enough that it would make it worth the risk.

The Minneapolis Star Tribune's Lavelle E. Neal III essentially admitted he was guessing when he reported the Yankees were offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy to the Twins for Johan Santana.

Neal apparently had no inside info here, so there's still no reason to think the Yankees are willing to part with both Hughes and Kennedy. FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal said this afternoon that the Twins are targeting right-hander Alan Horne or defensive-minded shortstop Alberto Gonzalez as the third player along with Hughes and Cabrera. In his latest blog, ESPN's Peter Gammons seems to think it's almost a given that the trade will be completed.

I still don't know why the Mets aren't going after Santana harder.

Rotoworld updates:

The Minneapolis Star Tribune's Lavelle E. Neal III essentially admitted he was guessing when he reported the Yankees were offering Phil Hughes, Melky Cabrera and Ian Kennedy to the Twins for Johan Santana.

Neal apparently had no inside info here, so there's still no reason to think the Yankees are willing to part with both Hughes and Kennedy. FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal said this afternoon that the Twins are targeting right-hander Alan Horne or defensive-minded shortstop Alberto Gonzalez as the third player along with Hughes and Cabrera. In his latest blog, ESPN's Peter Gammons seems to think it's almost a given that the trade will be completed. Dec. 1 - 5:39 pm et

Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 02:43 PM)
I still don't know why the Mets aren't going after Santana harder.

I have no info you don't have, but I imagine it has to relate to the issue of whether or not the Mets are willing to give up something valuable enough to get him in Return. If the Twins are down on Humber/Pelfrey like most people seem to be these days, then aside from Gomez, the only 2 assets the Twins might be interested in are the 2 the Mets will not part with: Reyes and Wright.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Do the Mets even have anything close to what the Yankees and Red Sox are offering? This is an honest question. I'm not familiar with their farm system.

If they offered up Reyes or Wright they could beat anyone else in MLB. But they're not offering either of those guys.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 1, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
If they offered up Reyes or Wright they could beat anyone else in MLB. But they're not offering either of those guys.

I read something today that said the Mets may be reconsidering their decision and indeed consider moving Reyes for Santana.