Sean Taylor~~ Rest In Peace

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging by the facts it seems plausible.

Taylor was shot in the leg and hit the femoral artery. That suggests that the person who shot Taylor was not going for a kill and instead trying to incapacitate him.

The scene that plays in my mind is:

Taylor comes home. There is an intruder/intruders at the residence. They panic and shoot Taylor in the leg, then run.

My speculations seem so inappropriate at this moment. But the fact is the vast number of home robbers never carry a gun. That increases the penalty if they are caught. My prayers to his family and friends, especially his daughter.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 12:11 PM)
And it was just a routine burglary gone horribly awry, no?

This story is really sad, regardless.

Apparently there was a break-in a couple days before this one, and nothing was stolen. There was nothing stolen this time. As Texsox mentioned, it is odd for a burglar to carry a gun. Also, the landline to the house phone had been cut. (This caused a delay in getting help, as Taylor's girlfriend didn't realize this at first and had to call 911 on her mobile phone.)

That doesn't sound like "a routine burglary" to me.

RIP

This shocks me. What doesn't shock me is the fact that this is happening OVER AND OVER to athletes. They have to quit hanging out in the old "hood". "Keeping it real" can also be "keeping it stupid."

ps-I am not trying to diminish what happened here, just trying to get across the point that when you're a famous athlete w/ $$$$, be careful who/where you hang out.

QUOTE(Harvin4Heisman @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 06:24 PM)
This shocks me. What doesn't shock me is the fact that this is happening OVER AND OVER to athletes. They have to quit hanging out in the old "hood". "Keeping it real" can also be "keeping it stupid."

ps-I am not trying to diminish what happened here, just trying to get across the point that when you're a famous athlete w/ $$$$, be careful who/where you hang out.

taylor was always mixed in with the wrong crowd, and was hardly and exemplary nfl role model....but nonetheless this is certainly a sad story and i feel for the family

It's just part of a sick cycle that is so hard to explain, yet you know it when you see it. It's even sadder when you see it seems Sean was trying to turn his life around, but South Florida can be a VERY dangerous place, especially if you have a problematic past, because bad people never forget and always seem to seek out revenge. I always want to say that these guys need to learn to disassociate themselves from the bad people and bad neighborhoods, but I would assume it can't just be that easy to forget everything you knew growing up, which is why this issue is really much bigger, and is about just how sad and out of control violence is on the streets. I just wish Taylor would have more intensly heeded the warning a week ago when the robbers left a knife on the bed, maybe he'd still be here. RIP.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
It's just part of a sick cycle that is so hard to explain, yet you know it when you see it. It's even sadder when you see it seems Sean was trying to turn his life around, but South Florida can be a VERY dangerous place, especially if you have a problematic past, because bad people never forget and always seem to seek out revenge. I always want to say that these guys need to learn to disassociate themselves from the bad people and bad neighborhoods, but I would assume it can't just be that easy to forget everything you knew growing up, which is why this issue is really much bigger, and is about just how sad and out of control violence is on the streets. I just wish Taylor would have more intensly heeded the warning a week ago when the robbers left a knife on the bed, maybe he'd still be here. RIP.

This is an amazing post. :headbang

I also saw the rumor (likely true) is that Clinton Portis (who, besides family, is probably the closest to Taylor) is gonna change his number from 26 to 21 in honor of him.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
This is an amazing post. :headbang

I also saw the rumor (likely true) is that Clinton Portis (who, besides family, is probably the closest to Taylor) is gonna change his number from 26 to 21 in honor of him.

Yeah, I heard that too, it'd be nice if the NFL lets him do that. I just wish people understood the culture of Miami moreso. People have such a misconception too of DA U, it's really not about the school as much as it is the city. The whole reason the alunmi and players of Miami (FL) are so close are the vast majority of them are from Miami/Dade and grew up in very poor areas and the players can just relate to the struggles each other have gone through. And the idea of "Thug U" is nonsense too, the only reason the kids that make it to Coral Gables get that far is being able to avoid the streets, there have been many talents in Liberty City and Carol City and Homestead and so on that never got to college because of the company they kept. The saddest part is you look at Bryan Pata and Sean Taylor and the stories are similar. You have young, great football talents who by all accounts were trying to turn their lives for the better even moreso than they already had, and both are killed almost hitman style and it seems like the whole reason people took their lives is because of jealously and not liking the fact that these two guys wanted to better themselves, like the streets thing they are sellouts or something for having success. It's like the sucessful alumnums and students of the Canes football empire are being punished for being so loyal to where they came from, and although I admit maybe they should "ditch the bad crowd", it's still not right that they are victims in large part because they are loyal to their hood, even if their hood is a very bad place. I could go on and on here, but this is just so sad and will be more sad as details of what happened become more clear.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 27, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
My speculations seem so inappropriate at this moment. But the fact is the vast number of home robbers never carry a gun. That increases the penalty if they are caught. My prayers to his family and friends, especially his daughter.

Under Florida law this turns into felony murder and could be a capital case. I highly doubt it would be tried as such but the option is there.

Prayers go out to Sean Taylor's family and the Washington Redskins.

With that being said, if anyone actually believes this to be a burglary/strong armed robbery gone bad....you're naive.

This was an assassination. Taylor was a dog long before he put on the Hurricane uniform. The man was a thug. He didn't get shot in the balls by accident.

If I've upset anybody by saying these things, I don't apologize. This is why people like Taylor shouldn't get a free-pass in life and be held accountable for their actions. Taylor has always gotten off every step of the way. Taylor's past caught up with him. It's a shame to say all of this, but it's true.

Edited by rockren

It's an impossible balance. We tell people to never forget where they came from. Stay grounded. We also tell them to ditch their hometown and childhood friends. Who are you going to trust, your new "friends" who are hangin with you because of your new celebrity and cash, or the guys who hung out with you when you were a nobody? Jeez that is tough. And what prepares these kids for becoming instant millionaires? The league has a program put together by old white guys, I'm certain that's relevant. Clearly they need to be held responsible a lot earlier in their lives, but that is not the whole answer.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442...P&GT1=10637

Amen brother, amen. I love Whitlock. I have since before he was dropped from ESPN because he was a black man that was "real" and didn't play into the ridiculous stereotypes ala Steven A Smith and Stuart Scott. I read him regularly, if you don't you owe it to yourself to start.

QUOTE(Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 28, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7499442...P&GT1=10637

Amen brother, amen. I love Whitlock. I have since before he was dropped from ESPN because he was a black man that was "real" and didn't play into the ridiculous stereotypes ala Steven A Smith and Stuart Scott. I read him regularly, if you don't you owe it to yourself to start.

Jason Whitlock is a fool. I read him to get a good laugh. I've never seen someone play the race card as much as this guy. His sports knowledge also is questionable at times (i'm a big chiefs fan so i read his columns often). All that said, that was a very good article and can't say i disagree. However, unfortunately with him, IMO, good articles are hard to come by.

a quote that rotoworld had.....

Cardinals CB and ex-Miami Hurricanes teammate Antrel Rolle told the AP Wednesday that he believes Sean Taylor was killed by a former friend.

"They've been targeting him for three years now," said Rolle, who grew up in Florida with Taylor. "This was not the first incident. I know he lived his life pretty much scared every day of his life when he was down in Miami because those people were targeting him. At least, he's got peace now."