Sox Acquire Carlos Quentin for Chris Carter; DFA Heath Phillips

SoxFan1

• Replies 357
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, we really like to swap our prospects with the DBacks dont we? I really like Carter, and Cunningham, and thought that Carter would turn into a good replacement for Paulie in a few years. But we are desperate for some outfielders, anyone got some good scouting on this kid?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:07 PM)
According to MLB Radio, the D’Backs will soon announce that they have traded OF Carlos Quentin to the White Sox for 20–year-old 1B Chris Carter.

I was afraid they were going to trade Chris Carter. There goes my favorite sox prospect. At least its not for Coco Crisp. I'm not very familiar with Quentin offhand, but I hate to see Carter go.

Quentin has played in AAA the past 3 years, which is the bad news. The good news is that he has absolutely destroyed AAA all 3 years. He also walks quite a bit, seems to have about 20-30 homer power, and he shoots the gaps well. Still 24, looks like a corner OFer. Arizona was down him him, but he's a better prospect than Carter.

Compared to Magglio Ordonez, we project that Carlos Quentin’s future will be as a definite top-of-the-order hitter. How much power he shows will determine whether that’s as a number 2 or 3 batter, or drops into the cleanup or 5 holes. Most scouting reports project Quentin as having enough power to succeed in one of those run-producing spots.

http://www.minorleaguenews.com/baseball/fe...8/fab50/04.html (from 2006 midseason)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
i'm seeing good things on him from like...2005. He has to be like 25 years old at this point.

I dug this up

Top 50 Prospect Profile: Carlos Quentin

By Merisa Jensen

Associate Editor

Posted Jan 14, 2005

The new year is here, and the FutureBacks.com Top 50 is rolling The Top 50 features profiles, commentary, and analysis from the FutureBacks.com staff, Diamondbacks coaches and officials, as well as Scout.com experts. Carlos Quentin deserves special treatment, because Carlos Quentin is special, so we give you a FREE PREVIEW OF PREMIUM CONENT, and when you're talking about Quentin, 'premium' is the right word.

Vital Statistics:

Name Carlos Quentin

Position Outfielder

Age 22

Height 6’2"

Weight 215

Bats Right

Throws Right

’04 Club Hi-A Lancaster JetHawks (California League)/AA El Paso Diablos (Texas League)

Quentin signed with the Diamondbacks in 2003, but missed the season following "Tommy John" ligament replacement surgery. In 2004, he made a splash in his minor league debut. Splitting time with the Hi-A Lancaster JetHawks and AA El Paso Diablos, Quentin led the farm system in batting average (.332). At 22, Quentin was named the Diamondbacks Minor League Player of the Year, and dominated everywhere he went.

Batting and Power: Carlos has some serious pop in his bat. He racked up 21 HRs, 1 triple, 33 doubles, and 89 RBI in his first season of pro ball. These numbers combined with a .332 batting average and .533 slugging percentage, prove that Quentin can hit for power and average. He’s a smart batter who knows how to get on base. He set a minor league record by being hit by a pitch 43 times this year. He also reached base safely by a hit, walk, or hit by pitch in 115 of 125 games played on the year. The last test for him was the Arizona Fall League, but that test came back incomplete because back stiffness limited him to less than 20 at bats.

Base Running and Speed: Quentin has pretty good speed with 33 doubles on the year. As far as stealing bases goes, he has a bit of learning to do. In Lancaster he had 5 stolen bases in 6 chances. In El Paso, he was caught stealing 6 times six chances, but he's never really going to be asked to swipe bags.

Defense: The arm is average to above average for a right fielder. There doesn’t seem to be any lag in his arm after coming off Tommy John surgery, in fact many scouts have said his arm looks even stronger than it was before the surgery. He's not a burner, but he's got solid speed, certainly enough for a corner outfield spot, and he takes excellent routes, making many plays look easier than they already are.

ETA: Introducing your 2005 starting right fielder...Shawn Green? The most interesting, some would say confusing, part of the Shawn Green signing and contract extension is that it leaves Quentin looking for a place to play. It's possible that he could start the season in left field if Luis Gonzalez's arm isn't fully recovered from offseason elbow surgery. Once he cracks the bigs most feel it will be almost impossible to sit him, as he seems more than ready to take on the MLB. If he get 400 at bats, he's already the front runner from NL Rookie of the Year.

Doesnt seem he has lived up to expectations yet, but was once a very good prospect. I do like that he is known to have a good OBP, but I dont know anything about the current player except he hit like .215 this past year

From BP, 2005:

Love this guy. Not sure why he hasn't gotten more pub, but he's a better prospect than Conor Jackson at this point, and that's saying something. Lit up the California and Texas Leagues, showing power, solid defense, athleticism, and a great ability to adjust to off-speed pitches. He'll see some time at Triple-A before the year's out, and will be on the Rookie of the Year ballot in '06 or '07. Check that PECOTA: If they let him, he could have a ROY shot right now.

So, at least there WERE some high hopes for this fella. Does he get penciled into LF right away?

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
i'm seeing good things on him from like...2005. He has to be like 25 years old at this point.

I've got absolutely no problem with this sort of deal if it is indeed true. Quentin is the sort of high-ceiling young position player we need right now, even if it is at the expense of a talented player lower down in our system. KW is addressing a dire need without dealing away either Fields/Gio/DLS, which you have got to be happy about.

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
I was afraid they were going to trade Chris Carter. There goes my favorite sox prospect. At least its not for Coco Crisp. I'm not very familiar with Quentin offhand, but I hate to see Carter go.

Quentin looked good in 2006, brutal in 2007 and had surgery. He could be a great pick-up.

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)

He is in fact 25, turned 25 in August.

He hasn't done a lot in the big leagues yet, but I have to admit looking at his minor league numbers, he's put up some attractive numbers. But it's hard to tell how much of that might be due to being 1 year older than a lot of people at each stop as he has been.

Good, high slugging, lotta walks, OPS over 900 each year down there.

I like the trade. Quentin has all the tools and he has done well at all levels but struggled last year. His value was low and looks like we jumped on that. Carter is not a great fielder and we can put anyone at 1B over the next few years if we only want a bat. Carter could be good too in the future but Quentin can play right now.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:14 AM)
From BP, 2005:

So, at least there WERE some high hopes for this fella. Does he get penciled into LF right away?

If this deal does in fact go down as written, our OF suddenly is set as Quentin, Owens, Dye, and is actually fairly well set up for the next few years with a decent amount of depth at a low low price.

I like it, could prove to be a nothing trade but as of right now Quentin is way closer to doing anything at the MLB level and plays a position of need.

If the Sox still sign a CF an outfield of Quentin, CF, Dye would be a vast improvement over where we were this year with Pods, Owens, Dye.

I wouldn't take a whole lot from Quentin's poor 2007 -- he was injured throughout the year and, as Dick Allen mentioned, he ended up getting surgery.

I'm a fan of the deal, if only because it's an interesting trade. I like these young-player-for-young-player swaps, even though the risk may be a little bigger.

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:16 PM)
I like the trade. Quentin has all the tools and he has done well at all levels but struggled last year. His value was low and looks like we jumped on that. Carter is not a great fielder and we can put anyone at 1B over the next few years if we only want a bat. Carter could be good too in the future but Quentin can play right now.

He can DH for 10 years once Konerko, Thome and Dye are done.

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 10:17 AM)
After going back and looking at his numbers last year, I'm not anymore encouraged... So who goes on the 40 now, hopefully Andy Gonzalez, so at least something good comes out of it.

Well, he did suffer a torn labrum in ST, so that may well have just murdered his season. He came up right away when he was healthy again, and struggled before being sent down. However, he ripped apart AAA last year, putting up a 1.004 OPS in AAA after going back down.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
If this deal does in fact go down as written, our OF suddenly is set as Quentin, Owens, Dye, and is actually fairly well set up for the next few years with a decent amount of depth at a low low price.

Or Rowand in CF; I really dont think KW has Owens as a starter next year. He was dumb last year, but I don't think he's that dumb.

Suddenly, our OF got a lot stronger. As of right now, Quentin is our starting LF, with Owens in center and Dye in right. If we sign one of Jones/Rowand/Fuku, our OF could be sitting pretty for a while.

Fuku/Quentin/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Rowand/Dye & Owens 4th

Quentin/Jones/Dye & Owens 4th