Miguel Cabrera to the Tigers

fathom

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Add the fact that the Angels seem to be out of it make it look like this has a REAL chance of going down:

4:49 p.m., from Jayson Stark

• The Twins and Angels continue to talk about a Johan Santana trade. Many of the same players mentioned in the Miguel Cabrera sweepstakes -- Howie Kendrick, Brandan Wood, Nick Adenhart, and possibly Jeff Mathis or Reggie Willits -- would be included in a package for Santana.

• It is believed that the Angels haven't talked with the Marlins since last night, and Miguel Cabrera is off their radar screen -- at least for now.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:41 PM)
If acquired and signed long-term, he may give Frank Thomas a run for his money as greatest hitter in team history. This would be a coup.

Especially at the Cell. I honestly don't care who we give up for him. It's not like Sox prospects are sure-thing anyways.

I wonder how legit that article is. First he marks that Danks and Floyd are close in value, not directly but he says "and" one of them. Second, he misspells Gio with "Geo" and third, he calls Danks a right hander. Nothing huge with the last two, but makes me wonder how much knowledge this guy has of the SOx players, esp. if he think that Danks=Floyd, I mean c'mon, thats ridiculous.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)
I wonder how legit that article is. First he marks that Danks and Floyd are close in value, not directly but he says "and" one of them. Second, he misspells Gio with "Geo" and third, he calls Danks a right hander. Nothing huge with the last two, but makes me wonder how much knowledge this guy has of the SOx players, esp. if he think that Danks=Floyd, I mean c'mon, thats ridiculous.

I noticed those too, but I'd guess more than anything its this writer trying to be the guy who breaks the story first. Quick, sloppy copy.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I like this deal. But what happened to the mantra of pitching and defense? Looks like you guys will be in for some long nights at US Cellular. Would they consider Cabrera for left? Didn't he used to play there?

Yes, he played LF when they had Lowell.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
Don't get me wrong, I like this deal. But what happened to the mantra of pitching and defense? Looks like you guys will be in for some long nights at US Cellular. Would they consider Cabrera for left? Didn't he used to play there?

We're going to be in for long nights anyways, unless Buehrle or Vazquez are on the mound. You might as well try to outscore the opposition.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:38 PM)
I'm trying really hard not to get psyched about this.

First, remember what the Marlins have done to the Angels. This could be a ploy to get other teams back in.

Second, the only source that ever seems to point to the Sox getting Cabrera is the Palm Beach Post. Seems odd to me, but correct me if I'm wrong.

I think the Marlins might be leaking information to get the Angels back in. This is two teams TODAY that have these sudden links to Cabrera.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)

Who cares what he plays, put his ass in a sox uni and let him hit here. Do you have any concept of what type of hitter this is, and what type of damage he could cause here. Holy s***. If this is all that it costs go for it. He is younger than Fields and you could surround him for a long time. This would be an awesome move.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 10:48 PM)
Who cares what he plays, put his ass in a sox uni and let him hit here. Do you have any conception of what type of hitter this is, and what type of damage he could cause here. Holy s***. If this is all that it costs go for it. He is younger than Fields and you could surround him for a long time. This would be an awesome move.

But who would lead off!!!!!

I would hate to lose GEO Gonzalez and the right handed version of John Danks. In all seriousness, Cabrera is a great player and certainly worth that asking price, but I thought you were suppose to trade from areas of strength to address areas of weakness? The Sox currently have 2 3B(you can make an argument that Uribe could qualify as well at this point), and a questionable back end of their rotation after trading Garland, so does trading 2 additional starters(potentially) for another 3B make sense? They must have a lot of faith in guys like Broadway and Egbert or another move in the making for a starter if they make this trade. Personally, I would be happy with KW getting a CF that can leadoff(Fukudome being my personal #1 option followed by Crisp) and moving Crede for another bullpen arm(maybe to LA for Proctor) and calling it an offseason. The Sox would have improved their offense and defense by adding Cabrera, Fukudome/Crisp, and Quentin, while adding two proven bullpen arms(Linebrink and Proctor), and only worsened the rotation slightly(assuming Danks and Contreras show some improvement next year). Furthermore, KW really hasn't mortgaged the future by trading away most of the Sox young talent or by overpaying for a FA in my scenario. Just my opinion though.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 4, 2007 -> 05:49 PM)
That is the plan Williams needs to have. The staff isn't going to be a quick fix, so if you want to win this season, you better mash.

I wouldn't mind a season of mashing, and with a few youngsters in the starting staff getting some exposure in 2008. The Sox farm system doesn't have a lot to offer, but there are a few decent starter prospects on the verge - lets get 'em in there.

Cabrera would play LF. If we did this, we'd probably just play Crede at 3b this year, and then let him leave after next season. Remember, if we did this, it's not like Cabrera would blow the budget THIS season. There'd still be money around to possibly acquire a starting pitcher.