Fukudome to the Cubs

Balta1701

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:15 AM)
Some where Fathom is happy for some reason....

No, not happy at all. Cubs get better, and Sox lose out on another target. The reason that I knew he was signing with the Cubs is that the Cubs hired a handful of Japanese workers in the last few weeks to help with the transition. The Fuku/Cubs thing has been a lock for quite a while.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
No, not happy at all. Cubs get better, and Sox lose out on another target. The reason that I knew he was signing with the Cubs is that the Cubs hired a handful of Japanese workers in the last few weeks to help with the transition. The Fuku/Cubs thing has been a lock for quite a while.

Whatever he signed for, I bet it's more than makes sense for a guy who's never taken a Major League at bat.

A reason KW and the White Sox were really laying low with their interest. They knew they probably wouldn't be able to hang with the Cubs for this guy. Does this mean KW now overpays for Rowand and claims he was the main target all along?

Ha. When its 5/65, we dont exactly "lose"

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Whatever he signed for, I bet it's more than makes sense for a guy who's never taken a Major League at bat.

Paying him big money and expecting him to be good makes a lot more sense than the White Sox GM saying the pitching will not be a problem the way the staff is currently configured.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
You know what I mean....it's just another person to cross off the list, and gets us one step closer to Pierre/Owens. I just pray that KW doesn't make any decisions in the next 24 hours.

We dont need him frankly. Nothing is going to make us a contender short of a miracle. The cubs rack up yet another albatross of a contract.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:21 AM)
Paying him big money and expecting him to be good makes a lot more sense than the White Sox GM saying the pitching will not be a problem the way the staff is currently configured.

This move made a lot more sense for the Cubs than it did for the Sox. As long as the Cubs had to pay a substantial price for Fuku, I don't really mind.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:21 AM)
We dont need him frankly. Nothing is going to make us a contender short of a miracle. The cubs rack up yet another albatross of a contract.

Well said! I feel bad for Buehrle right now...no way did he re-sign thinking that the team would be in such a bad position just a few months later.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:19 PM)
Ha. When its 5/65, we dont exactly "lose"

That's the way the market is going. The White Sox are eventually going to have to pay that kind of money or become Pittsburgh. They really need to back up the truck and get some young talent. Building through the draft is a great idea, but it will take a very long time. Instead of draft picks you have to pay millions to, trade for a couple who already have received their bonuses and have shown they can play.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:24 AM)
That's the way the market is going. The White Sox are eventually going to have to pay that kind of money or become Pittsburgh. They really need to back up the truck and get some young talent. Building through the draft is a great idea, but it will take a very long time. Instead of draft picks you have to pay millions to, trade for a couple who already have received their bonuses and have shown they can play.

This organization is a disaster right now...that's all that needs to be said. KW needs to go.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
This move made a lot more sense for the Cubs than it did for the Sox. As long as the Cubs had to pay a substantial price for Fuku, I don't really mind.

KW though is caught between a rock and a hard place. He promised a dynamic offense. He said he's going for it. Then people had to pay their season ticket money on that premise. He needs to rebuild starting now, but if he does, he will lose a lot of credibility with what's left of the bandwagoners, and some others as well.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:26 AM)
KW though is caught between a rock and a hard place. He promised a dynamic offense. He said he's going for it. Then people had to pay their season ticket money on that premise. He needs to rebuild starting now, but if he does, he will lose a lot of credibility with what's left of the bandwagoners, and some others as well.

Sadly, you know which route KW thinks would make the fans forgive him.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 03:34 AM)
Who cares.

Well, we're discussing a player that just signed with a team. It's no different than discussing the Angels lineup after they got Hunter, etc. Kudos to Balta though....he posted this before any of the Cubs sites did.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
We're all willing for our owner to spend that money... as long as that money has actually done something in MLB.

Our #1 need-center field-and player after player no longer available.

I made 2 season ticket payments already and they just sit there.

QUOTE(frankie5angels @ Dec 12, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Who cares.

Ha.

Well so much for him desperate for a 3 year deal. $13M a season is a lot for an unproven OF in the MLB, but that's the current market.

Right now it looks like Rowand for the Sox, unless they want to get back in the Crisp negotiations.

I'll be shocked if we acquire Pierre fathom.

QUOTE(fathom @ Dec 11, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
Well, we're discussing a player that just signed with a team. It's no different than discussing the Angels lineup after they got Hunter, etc. Kudos to Balta though....he posted this before any of the Cubs sites did.

At least the Angels are in the AL. The Cubs are in the NL. I could care less who the Cubs sign and what they do next year in terms of winning the Division or the NL. Some people on here are overly obsessed with the Cubs and what they do.