2008 First Year Player Draft

OilCan

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KC had a much worse record than BAL in 2006 so the Royals will have the 3rd pick. Also Florida and San Fran tied for the 5th pick and the Marlins had a better record than the Giants in '06 so the Giants will have the 5th pick and the Marlins will choose 6th.

QUOTE(soxfaninpa @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 03:59 PM)
I've seen posted before that the Sox are high on him and could overdraft on him. Does anyone know where he might project to be taken if he wasn't an overdraft?

From what i've heard about him and seen posted hear i seem to recall people saying a late first rounder

Just for fun, Keith Law's top-20 (looks decent from what I can tell other than Alvarez being #5 instead of #1):

1. Isaac Galloway OF, Los Osos HS, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

2. Aaron Hicks OF, Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif.

3. Justin Smoak 1B, University of South Carolina

4. Brian Matusz LHP, University of San Diego Anaheim

5. Pedro Alvarez 3B, Vanderbilt

6. Brett Wallace 1B, Arizona State

7. Eric Hosmer 1B, American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla.

8. Lance Lynn RHP, University of Mississippi

9. Daniel Webb RHP, Heath HS, W. Paducah, Ky.

10. Yonder Alonso 1B, University of Miami (Fla.)

11. Brett DeVall LHP, Rutherford HS, Panama City, Fla.

12. Cody Satterwhite RHP, University of Mississippi

13. Brandon Crawford SS, UCLA

14. Ethan Martin 3B, Stephens County HS, Toccoa, Ga.

15. James Darnell RF/3B, University of South Carolina

16. Jemile Weeks 2B, University of Miami (Fla.)

17. Harold Martinez SS/3B, Braddock HS, Miami, Fla.

18. Tyson Ross RHP, University of California

19. Jacob Thompson RHP, University of Virginia

20. Jordan Danks OF, University of Texas

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 03:13 PM)
Just for fun, Keith Law's top-20 (looks decent from what I can tell other than Alvarez being #5 instead of #1):

1. Isaac Galloway OF, Los Osos HS, Rancho Cucamonga, Calif.

2. Aaron Hicks OF, Wilson HS, Long Beach, Calif.

3. Justin Smoak 1B, University of South Carolina

4. Brian Matusz LHP, University of San Diego Anaheim

5. Pedro Alvarez 3B, Vanderbilt

6. Brett Wallace 1B, Arizona State

7. Eric Hosmer 1B, American Heritage HS, Plantation, Fla.

8. Lance Lynn RHP, University of Mississippi

9. Daniel Webb RHP, Heath HS, W. Paducah, Ky.

10. Yonder Alonso 1B, University of Miami (Fla.)

11. Brett DeVall LHP, Rutherford HS, Panama City, Fla.

12. Cody Satterwhite RHP, University of Mississippi

13. Brandon Crawford SS, UCLA

14. Ethan Martin 3B, Stephens County HS, Toccoa, Ga.

15. James Darnell RF/3B, University of South Carolina

16. Jemile Weeks 2B, University of Miami (Fla.)

17. Harold Martinez SS/3B, Braddock HS, Miami, Fla.

18. Tyson Ross RHP, University of California

19. Jacob Thompson RHP, University of Virginia

20. Jordan Danks OF, University of Texas

If this is accurrate, what an awful year for pitching. Only 7 in the top 20?

QUOTE(ptatc @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
If this is accurrate, what an awful year for pitching. Only 7 in the top 20?

Well, thankfully, we're drafting high in a weak pitching year and we're much, much, much more in the need of position player prospects than pitching ones.

What percentage of posts on Soxtalk are posting of a prediction or guesstimate by one of the one million credible or completely retarded "baseball" "analysts" on the internet of some trade, free agent signing, or draft pick that the White Sox might potentially make (displayed all nice and shiny in a numbered list format), followed by a Soxtalk poster, all in a huff as if this extremely unlikely transaction has in fact occurred, stating, "if this happens, Kenny should be fired, and I'm never watching baseball again!" I posit that that is 85% of the posts.

Here is another top 10 picks list. This one from Baseball Prospectus

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/i...&mode=login

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 04:24 PM)
What percentage of posts on Soxtalk are posting of a prediction or guesstimate by one of the one million credible or completely retarded "baseball" "analysts" on the internet of some trade, free agent signing, or draft pick that the White Sox might potentially make (displayed all nice and shiny in a numbered list format), followed by a Soxtalk poster, all in a huff as if this extremely unlikely transaction has in fact occurred, stating, "if this happens, Kenny should be fired, and I'm never watching baseball again!" I posit that that is 85% of the posts.

Here is another top 10 picks list. This one from Baseball Prospectus

http://baseballprospectus.com/unfiltered/i...&mode=login

Lets see, Kenny already drafted him, likes the family and traded for his brother. We have had a piece from the sox beat writer late last year talking about Jordan Danks meanwhile overlooking the much better Pedro Alvarez. And we have a long history of passing on talented guys for the "bargain" in the bunch. How many of those guys are represented by the anti-sox guy. And most of all, when Kenny locks on a guy how many times does he let him go.

It would be lovely to believe that kenny will take the best available talent thats available. But if that was the case Porcello would be in our system, and some of the other "bargains" wouldnt be in our system now.

Actually this is a question to BureauEmployee if he reads this. Please tell us that Jordan Danks isnt the forgone conclusion on draft day.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
Lets see, Kenny already drafted him, likes the family and traded for his brother. We have had a piece from the sox beat writer late last year talking about Jordan Danks meanwhile overlooking the much better Pedro Alvarez. And we have a long history of passing on talented guys for the "bargain" in the bunch. How many of those guys are represented by the anti-sox guy. And most of all, when Kenny locks on a guy how many times does he let him go.

It would be lovely to believe that kenny will take the best available talent thats available. But if that was the case Porcello would be in our system, and some of the other "bargains" wouldnt be in our system now.

Actually this is a question to BureauEmployee if he reads this. Please tell us that Jordan Danks isnt the forgone conclusion on draft day.

And we don't have a 2nd rounder taking away our hope that KW might think he could drop to us in the 2nd round. We have two third basemen and we're letting go of all of our young 1B so either we're banking on Kong for awhile or looking to trade him and get a 1B back (unless we think Smoak is our guy and will fall to us). We have enough young pitching that is filled with "top of the rotation guys" according to KW's assessment of what other GMs think. Sounds like we're set up to get an OF since that's our biggest need now and guess who is an OF with "all" the qualities you listed above and "all" the qualities we are looking for...the Grinder Danks!

QUOTE(heirdog @ Dec 14, 2007 -> 10:02 PM)
And we don't have a 2nd rounder taking away our hope that KW might think he could drop to us in the 2nd round. We have two third basemen and we're letting go of all of our young 1B so either we're banking on Kong for awhile or looking to trade him and get a 1B back (unless we think Smoak is our guy and will fall to us). We have enough young pitching that is filled with "top of the rotation guys" according to KW's assessment of what other GMs think. Sounds like we're set up to get an OF since that's our biggest need now and guess who is an OF with "all" the qualities you listed above and "all" the qualities we are looking for...the Grinder Danks!

Didn't we just sign him to a 5 year deal that has three left on it? That would be banking on him.

Here is a question for the thread. Since everyone is stating that we have nothing in the farm system, one way to correct that would be to draft the safer, more projectable guys and not the high risk high reward guys. The other option is draft the high risk-high reward guys and take the chance that the system is devoid of talent for a longer time.

It's a dilemma that I haven't quite decided which way to go.

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 15, 2007 -> 12:24 AM)
Our list will be made up and provided - from there - it is not up to us where a player goes and why.

When you have that final list....just go ahead and post it on here.

Thank you in advance.

we've already drafted danks once, i personally think that in this case once is enough.

Looking at that list one thing that i noticed was the preponderance of first basement projected in the top 10 most of whom were college players (more ready to contribute immediately) this could play into kenny being more willing to move Konerko since we have a high draft pick and several opportunities to draft Konerko's replacement, who if we pick right should be ready to contribute in short order