Confirmed interest in Prior

NCsoxfan

If Prior only wants a 1 year deal i think the Sox should at least look into it... That pretty much means that he is banking on that to eventually earn a lucrative contract the following year. Why not take a chance on a guy like this? I think Prior has a better chance at regaining form this year better than Garcia or Colon do...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 08:07 AM)
If Prior only wants a 1 year deal i think the Sox should at least look into it... That pretty much means that he is banking on that to eventually earn a lucrative contract the following year. Why not take a chance on a guy like this? I think Prior has a better chance at regaining form this year better than Garcia or Colon do...

I agree. If I sign Prior though I insist on an option, then if he pans out you can trade him next offseason or before the 09 deadline. If not you both walk away at the end of 08. With the arms that we have returning in the rotation we are going to need someone who can come in and spell one of the starters or likely take one of the rotation spots if someone does not live up to expectations, which is a likelihood between Floyd, Danks, and Contreras. If you can sign him for

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I agree. If I sign Prior though I insist on an option, then if he pans out you can trade him next offseason or before the 09 deadline. If not you both walk away at the end of 08. With the arms that we have returning in the rotation we are going to need someone who can come in and spell one of the starters or likely take one of the rotation spots if someone does not live up to expectations, which is a likelihood between Floyd, Danks, and Contreras. If you can sign him for

Isn't this the reason he didn't stay with the cubs? They wanted an option and he didn't.

QUOTE(IowaSoxFan @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)

I imagine there's some posters from page 1 who are having heart attacks right now

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 10:58 AM)
Isn't this the reason he didn't stay with the cubs? They wanted an option and he didn't.

Yes.

Prior is saying he will refuse any contract longer than one year or with any team option of any sort. There's no point in discussing anything but a one-year deal.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 08:24 AM)
Yes.

Prior is saying he will refuse any contract longer than one year or with any team option of any sort. There's no point in discussing anything but a one-year deal.

And some team will give it to him. I just don't think it should be us.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 08:54 AM)
Because we have great depth.

No, because we have more pitching depth than position player depth, and signing Prior actually hurts the cause of fixing that. I still would rather take a flyer on Dallas McPherson if we're signing a non-tendered guy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 10:56 AM)
No, because we have more pitching depth than position player depth, and signing Prior actually hurts the cause of fixing that. I still would rather take a flyer on Dallas McPherson if we're signing a non-tendered guy.

We don't have depth at anything except bad players.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:24 AM)
We don't have depth at anything except bad players.

We could get into it over that, but let me respond by asking this; how does picking up Mark Prior for one year when he'll probably spend half of it on the DL and then certainly walk at the end of the year fix that?

I agree. If I sign Prior though I insist on an option, then if he pans out you can trade him next offseason or before the 09 deadline. If not you both walk away at the end of 08. With the arms that we have returning in the rotation we are going to need someone who can come in and spell one of the starters or likely take one of the rotation spots if someone does not live up to expectations, which is a likelihood between Floyd, Danks, and Contreras. If you can sign him for < $5 mill it is a good get, add an option at around $8 mil and get a deal done.

This is the exact reason why he doesn't want the option included and why he didn't re-sign with the Cubs. They insisted on the option year. This is the reason you will not be able to sign Prior. You insist on it and he walks away and signs with someone else. He is banking on having a great year and he wants to cash in on that great year. Smart move if he can do.

Good point. Isn't McPherson's agent Boras? I thought I read that somewhere.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:39 AM)
This is the exact reason why he doesn't want the option included and why he didn't re-sign with the Cubs. They insisted on the option year. This is the reason you will not be able to sign Prior. You insist on it and he walks away and signs with someone else. He is banking on having a great year and he wants to cash in on that great year. Smart move if he can do.

And for a team that thinks it has an outside shot at competing next year but also thinks that they need at least 1 more starting pitcher to do so, it makes perfect sense to offer him that 1 year deal. I can come up with some potential candidates who could fill that role nicely off the top of my head. The Mets, the Astros, the Braves, the Mariners, and to a lesser extent you can throw in guys like Toronto, San Diego, etc. It makes a lot more sense for one of those teams to offer him a 1 year deal than it does for us.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
We could get into it over that, but let me respond by asking this; how does picking up Mark Prior for one year when he'll probably spend half of it on the DL and then certainly walk at the end of the year fix that?

I'm not an advocate of picking up Prior.

I'm just saying, we have a depth of bad players/pitchers and I don't feel comfortable relying on that "depth" into the future.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:43 AM)
I'm not an advocate of picking up Prior.

I'm just saying, we have a depth of bad players/pitchers and I don't feel comfortable relying on that "depth" into the future.

Then aside from wanting to insult this team at every opportunity, what was the point of replying to my post saying that Prior is a poor fit for us because of the guys we have? You may not like the guys we have, but if you're arguing that we can't count on them in a Mark Prior thread, it certainly seems to reason that you're advocating picking up Prior. If you're not doing that, then all you're doing is going after these players without a purpose.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)
Then aside from wanting to insult this team at every opportunity, what was the point of replying to my post saying that Prior is a poor fit for us because of the guys we have? You may not like the guys we have, but if you're arguing that we can't count on them in a Mark Prior thread, it certainly seems to reason that you're advocating picking up Prior. If you're not doing that, then all you're doing is going after these players without a purpose.

I wanted to make the point, counter to your assertions, that our depth isn't so much depth as a lot of bodies, so I understand why people would want someone else. I wasn't trying to insult or pick a fight...sorry if it came off that way.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 12:00 PM)
I wanted to make the point, counter to your assertions, that our depth isn't so much depth as a lot of bodies, so I understand why people would want someone else. I wasn't trying to insult or pick a fight...sorry if it came off that way.

Besides your love for Ozzie, is there ANYTHING about the organization you do like?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)
Besides your love for Ozzie, is there ANYTHING about the organization you do like?

1. Ballpark people, overall, except for that one guy near left field who sells beer. Everyone else is good.

2. Community relations.

3. Brooks.

4. Food.

I think they're outstanding at taking care of their fans. I don't know about the ticket holders, but I have heard mainly good things. I think they've got a good relationship with the city and its people.

There's one thing about KW I like -- his aggressiveness. But not his brand of aggressiveness. I like aggressiveness and determination and focus, but I think there's a big difference between what he does and what, say, John Schuerholz or Theo Epstein or Omar Minaya or Tony Reagins or Dave Dombrowski do. I don't know how to describe it, but I guess using a political metaphor I could say it's the difference between Harry Truman and George W. Bush.

But I do, generally, like KW's aggressiveness. He isn't afraid. I just don't think he's good.

What else? At this moment, with this administration? I don't think there's much more. I don't take pleasure in saying that. I do take pleasure in saying that I always enjoy the ballpark and I don't doubt anyone's committment.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 12:12 PM)
1. Ballpark people, overall, except for that one guy near left field who sells beer. Everyone else is good.

2. Community relations.

3. Brooks.

4. Food.

I think they're outstanding at taking care of their fans. I don't know about the ticket holders, but I have heard mainly good things. I think they've got a good relationship with the city and its people.

There's one thing about KW I like -- his aggressiveness. But not his brand of aggressiveness. I like aggressiveness and determination and focus, but I think there's a big difference between what he does and what, say, John Schuerholz or Theo Epstein or Omar Minaya or Tony Reagins or Dave Dombrowski do. I don't know how to describe it, but I guess using a political metaphor I could say it's the difference between Harry Truman and George W. Bush.

But I do, generally, like KW's aggressiveness. He isn't afraid. I just don't think he's good.

What else? At this moment, with this administration? I don't think there's much more. I don't take pleasure in saying that. I do take pleasure in saying that I always enjoy the ballpark and I don't doubt anyone's committment.

Why such a fan of Omar Minaya? He is KW, with a dollar in his pocket instead of 50 cents, and without the WS title...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 12:15 PM)
Why such a fan of Omar Minaya? He is KW, with a dollar in his pocket instead of 50 cents, and without the WS title...

I'm not entirely sure that's true. It might be. I'm just a fan of the way Minaya has made the Mets respectable with huge, super bold moves, but I'm not a huge fan of him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 12:27 PM)
I'm not entirely sure that's true. It might be. I'm just a fan of the way Minaya has made the Mets respectable with huge, super bold moves, but I'm not a huge fan of him.

Huge, super bold moves? He walked into David Wright and Jose Reyes. That helps a bit. He signed Beltran. Good signing, but he basically outbid everyone else in baseball, and since then, Beltran has been hot and cold. Plenty of rumors about them willing to move him in the right deal over the past year. A couple other high profile signings- Delgado, LoDuca, but nothing earthshatteringly brilliant there. Best moves have probably been getting Oli Perez and John Maine, although Maine came back to earth the final few months.

I don't think he's necessarily bad, but I don't see him as anything above average, either. With the resources he has to work with over there, I don't think he's done anything more than be a beneficiary of having almost every player available to him in one way or another.

And some of his worst moves, IMO, are ones he didn't make. Has refused to deal for a top of the rotation starter when his team desperately could of used one at the end of the last two seasons...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 01:38 PM)
Huge, super bold moves? He walked into David Wright and Jose Reyes. That helps a bit. He signed Beltran. Good signing, but he basically outbid everyone else in baseball, and since then, Beltran has been hot and cold. Plenty of rumors about them willing to move him in the right deal over the past year. A couple other high profile signings- Delgado, LoDuca, but nothing earthshatteringly brilliant there. Best moves have probably been getting Oli Perez and John Maine, although Maine came back to earth the final few months.

I don't think he's necessarily bad, but I don't see him as anything above average, either. With the resources he has to work with over there, I don't think he's done anything more than be a beneficiary of having almost every player available to him in one way or another.

And some of his worst moves, IMO, are ones he didn't make. Has refused to deal for a top of the rotation starter when his team desperately could of used one at the end of the last two seasons...

The Pedro signing was pretty bold, imo. 4 years for a guy with a lot of questions. Beyond that I'd agree.

I guess you could call the Milledge trade bold, if bold means foolish.