Descendants of Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse break away from US

HuskyCaucasian

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5iVC1KM...MQyT2LwZc9HyAgA

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The Lakota Indians, who gave the world legendary warriors Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse, have withdrawn from treaties with the United States, leaders said Wednesday.

"We are no longer citizens of the United States of America and all those who live in the five-state area that encompasses our country are free to join us," long-time Indian rights activist Russell Means told a handful of reporters and a delegation from the Bolivian embassy, gathered in a church in a run-down neighborhood of Washington for a news conference.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 02:04 PM)
I am wondering if they are leaving the US, establishing a new country inside US soil, or what.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 04:11 PM)
could they be deported or something? How would that work?

The biggest paper I had to write in college (Poli Sci major) was about the American Indians, the Dawes Act and Micro-federalism. I'll try to be very brief...

Most of those Lakota are probably living on federal reservations. On those reservations, the tribes basically have home rule, but under federal auspices. The state and local governments have near-zero say over anything. And the feds are, in theory, bound by treaties and laws including the Dawes act, that severely limit what they can do there. It happens to be that those AmerInds could become citizens, and are given birthright citizenship by nature of being born in the U.S. But, they really can have great autonomy within the reservation if they choose.

Now, for those off the reservation, they are US citizens with normal domicile, but they do have special protections under the federal laws. They however ARE subject to the normal state and local laws like everyone else, in that instance. And many states and localities have special laws for certain tribes or blood level-groups as well, and hunting exceptions, and so on.

So... deported? No, because deportation would represent the acknowledgement of some prior or other citizenship, which they do not have in any international sense.

Leave the country? They COULD, I suppose, go way up north into that vast swath of what was the Northwest Territories in Canada, which now belongs to native peoples. It is, for many purposes, an independent nation. Not recognized by many other nations, but sufficiently home-ruled to stake a claim as such. Canada gave them huge bandwidth to do as they please up there. I suppose they could take a long walk.

Oh, almost forgot, the part about them starting their own country...

The U.S. still, in an international legal sense, controls those reservations and all the other land they are claiming as theirs. As far as I can tell, there are only three ways they could create a sovereign nation there...

1. Go to war with the U.S.

2. Convince the US government to grant them said nation and land

3. Find a court that would interperet and and enforce the treaties that would grant them this supposed status, and compel the US government to honor them

Not. Gonna. Happen.

LOL, good luck with this. This is the equivalent of blue island trying to break away from the union. Between this and the Azlatan goofs who want to create a new country out of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California and Mexico it at least provides entertainment.

QUOTE(longshot7 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Oh man this is funny. Yeah, good luck with your new country, Lakotans. I don't quite see why the US govt just doesn't absolve all Indian reservations and force them to assimilate.

Didn't Peter do this on Family Guy?

i hope you're kidding.

if not, maybe santa will drop off a history textbook on Monday night. :smilesanta

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 20, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
The biggest paper I had to write in college (Poli Sci major) was about the American Indians, the Dawes Act and Micro-federalism. I'll try to be very brief...

Most of those Lakota are probably living on federal reservations. On those reservations, the tribes basically have home rule, but under federal auspices. The state and local governments have near-zero say over anything. And the feds are, in theory, bound by treaties and laws including the Dawes act, that severely limit what they can do there. It happens to be that those AmerInds could become citizens, and are given birthright citizenship by nature of being born in the U.S. But, they really can have great autonomy within the reservation if they choose.

Now, for those off the reservation, they are US citizens with normal domicile, but they do have special protections under the federal laws. They however ARE subject to the normal state and local laws like everyone else, in that instance. And many states and localities have special laws for certain tribes or blood level-groups as well, and hunting exceptions, and so on.

So... deported? No, because deportation would represent the acknowledgement of some prior or other citizenship, which they do not have in any international sense.

Leave the country? They COULD, I suppose, go way up north into that vast swath of what was the Northwest Territories in Canada, which now belongs to native peoples. It is, for many purposes, an independent nation. Not recognized by many other nations, but sufficiently home-ruled to stake a claim as such. Canada gave them huge bandwidth to do as they please up there. I suppose they could take a long walk.

Errr...I think they would be adverse to that. Didn't work so well for them the last time.

And Tex...it's Crazy HORSE not Crazy ASS. Hee Haw and Merry Christmas!