The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez agree to 4 year deal

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:33 PM)
I would think it is the $4.75 million total.

There's not a chance it's $4.75 million total. Why in the hell would he sign a deal that LONG for that $? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything....but if that's the case, either Jamie Torres is an IDIOSO, or this guy doesn't have much confidence in his abilities...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
That's true. I wonder if he dates Jose's daughter. Or maybe his grandaughter. I don't think is just coincidence Contreras was at his best when El Duque was around. He was able to continue it for a while after he was gone, but I think El Duque being around would really help Jose right now. Maybe another Cuban will do the same.

It would probably help if his dirty, filthy wife wasn't such a user wench either...ok, ok, maybe that's a bit harsh...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
There's not a chance it's $4.75 million total. Why in the hell would he sign a deal that LONG for that $? I'm not trying to be an ass or anything....but if that's the case, either Jamie Torres is an IDIOSO, or this guy doesn't have much confidence in his abilities...

The Cuban league is supposedly on par with short season A ball. The guy didn't help himself with his 1-14 in winter ball and then asking for his release. He's basically right now like a drafted player getting a nice bonus. $4.75 million guaranteed isn't bad for a guy with little experience above short season A ball level.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:43 PM)
The Cuban league is supposedly on par with short season A ball. The guy didn't help himself with his 1-14 in winter ball and then asking for his release. He's basically right now like a drafted player getting a nice bonus. $4.75 million guaranteed isn't bad for a guy with little experience above short season A ball level.

Well, we'll see. The guy faired pretty damn well against WBC competition....and Fukudome just got $48 million playing in AAAA ball, so I'm not so sure. If this was 10 years ago, maybe, but not now. And if it is $4.75 million, hey, I'm happy, but not much excited for this guy...

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 04:06 PM)
Levine said it was $4.75M TOTAL which does not sound right at all. I'll just assume he misspoke and it's actually 4 years, $19M.

That wouldn't make sense, because a draft pick would have gotten more than that. But I still wouldn't be shocked if the number ended up being much lower than expected.

I'm afraid that this move should not be treated as a major one. Ramirez could prove to be an effective player, but he's probably not an impact bat, even if he is major league ready and - no, no he is not. This is still a good move. It gives us a 26(ish) year old player with a lot of upside and a lot of versatility. I just worry about fans who will see this like we're signing a sure thing. This is a step forward, but not one that is likely to change the likelihood of where we finish in the AL central next year.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 07:34 PM)
I'm afraid that this move should not be treated as a major one. Ramirez could prove to be an effective player, but he's probably not an impact bat, even if he is major league ready and - no, no he is not. This is still a good move. It gives us a 26(ish) year old player with a lot of upside and a lot of versatility. I just worry about fans who will see this like we're signing a sure thing. This is a step forward, but not one that is likely to change the likelihood of where we finish in the AL central next year.

Agreed. Ramirez does though become our #1 offensive "prospect" which is good or bad depending on how you look at it (Fields/Quentin not included).

It's 4.75M total according to the White Sox official site;

CHICAGO -- Two baseball sources have confirmed to MLB.com that the White Sox have agreed in principle on a four-year, $4.75 million deal with Alexei Ramirez. The versatile Cuban exile still has to pass a physical, and an official announcement from the team probably won't come until after the New Year.

Ramirez, whose age is listed at 26, was a natural shortstop in Cuba but also can play second base and center field. His arrival does not necessarily mean that the White Sox are done pursuing a veteran outfielder, as Ramirez may need some time in the Minors to prepare himself for the big leagues.

Playing for Pinar Del Rio in Cuba, the same team for which White Sox pitcher Jose Contreras once suited up, Ramirez hit .332 with 87 home runs and 391 RBIs over seven seasons. Ramirez arrived in the Dominican Republic with a visa to visit his wife, who is Dominican, but defected and decided to establish residence there in November and pursue a career in the Major Leagues.

According to ESPNdeportes.com, which also reported the signing, Ramirez had collective workout sessions for scouts based in the Dominican Republic. Last season's home run leader in Cuba also had individual workouts for nine teams, including the White Sox, Cubs, Indians, Red Sox and Yankees.

Contreras, who has posted a 43-37 record during parts of four seasons pitching for the White Sox but is coming off a 10-17 effort with a 5.57 ERA last season, should help Ramirez's adjustment to both Chicago and the big leagues. Both Contreras and Ramirez are represented by Jaime Torres.

The arrival of Ramirez could mean Juan Uribe's departure because of a healthy Pablo Ozuna possibly joining Ramirez in a super-sub role on the roster and Ramirez's ability to play shortstop.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 06:08 PM)
If this is accurate, I don't have any issue with the signing - I don't know if we just signed a starter or Andy Gonzalez's replacement though.

For an order of magnitude fewer dollars than what the Cubs gave to Fukudome (and for a younger guy at that), it's a reasonable risk. What would you rather have for $4.5 million, one year of Juan Uribe, 4 years of Alexei Ramirez, 2 months of Fukudome, or 1.5 months of Torii Hunter?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 02:14 AM)
For an order of magnitude fewer dollars than what the Cubs gave to Fukudome (and for a younger guy at that), it's a reasonable risk. What would you rather have for $4.5 million, one year of Juan Uribe, 4 years of Alexei Ramirez, 2 months of Fukudome, or 1.5 months of Torii Hunter?

Haha, I like this.

As far as this signing goes: Can't hurt, might help. Let's hope the guy can adjust to major league pitching.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
Sorry, but until finding out a bunch more about this guy, as well as seeing how much he was signed for, I don't think you can pencil Ramirez into the lineup, let alone the top of it. I would not be surprised in the least for him to spend most of the season in AAA.

Not saying it was a bad move, could turn out to be a great one, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

I agree. I think it was a good move, a gamble but worth it in the Sox condition. I really doubt Ramirez is a major leaguer next season. The success rate of Cuban position players hasn't been great (is Betancourt the best one?). But maybe after a year or two in the minors Ramirez might be a useful player. It's like an extra draft pick that the Sox paid overslot on -- and I'm happy with that.

You have to like this. We didn't have to give anything up except cash.

And if he's listed at 26 we know he's probably no older than 33, probably closer to 30.

Hope he can play; I won't complain when we acquire guys and give up nothing

to get them.

GO SOX!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 08:14 PM)

I don't even think it's a risk at all for just over 1 million a season.....and with at least potential of some upside.

This is an exciting signing in that

1. He sounds like he has great potential

2. He's still pretty young and has a good deal of experience already (seven years in cuban pro leagues)

3. He is versitile enough to help us at several positions of need , CF, 2b, SS

but lets remember that cuban pro ball is compared to single a ball here so this guy is anything but a sure thing and could very well need to spend the entire season or more in the minors adjusting to the game here.

Scott Merkin thinks he will be a super-sub to go along side Ozuna.. he thinks this move means the departure of Uribe. If KW still lands that veteran CF like they are talking about we could very well have a speedy bench of Owens, Ramerez and Ozuna... I like that!! It also means if Richar struggles early on, Ramerez could very well take over at 2B...

This move gives the Sox a lot of flexibility, ESPECIALLY if they land Crisp still.

Hmmm, obviously only having a .700 OPS is not going to win him a starting job for this team you wouldn't think, so his value maybe as a super utility player.

Do you think he'll start off 2008 in Charlotte Bureau (I suppose this may also depend on what they do with Uribe as well).