The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez agree to 4 year deal

JDsDirtySox

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Alexei Ramirez compares very closely with Omar Infante (ATL - formerly of DET) except with less power. That is the scouting comparison from across MLB. A utility-type with a lack of plate discipline, some speed, a nice arm. More of a RF, but capable of filling in at 2B/CF. .270-.315-.390 #s.

The scout has to ruin everyone's buzz. People thought KW signed this guy $.25 to the dollar, and you have to drop reality on the situation.

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gotta say I like this off the top. Low risk, high reward guy, just like KW loves to get. Hopefully this guy has it and becomes a great player for us. Can't really say much until we see him on the field, but it's exciting to hear. I logged on today hoping to see a move made and I was pleasantly surprised.

This is terrific news. I was pleasantly surprised to see this news even before the contract details were announced. Four years for less than Joe Borchard's signing bonus. This cost the Sox no draft picks and nobody was given up in trade. This was a risk worth taking and is a smart move. I don't think he will have much impact this year and will need some time in the minors, but at the very least, the Sox picked up a good prospect for about 1.2 mil per year for the next 4 years. I can not see any downside. The only two people associated with the Sox that may not be happy are Owens and Richar. This improves the farm, and if he does become an impact player for the Sox, Wow.

We needed some good news.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 09:41 PM)
This is terrific news. I was pleasantly surprised to see this news even before the contract details were announced. Four years for less than Joe Borchard's signing bonus. This cost the Sox no draft picks and nobody was given up in trade. This was a risk worth taking and is a smart move. I don't think he will have much impact this year and will need some time in the minors, but at the very least, the Sox picked up a good prospect for about 1.2 mil per year for the next 4 years. I can not see any downside. The only two people associated with the Sox that may not be happy are Owens and Richar. This improves the farm, and if he does become an impact player for the Sox, Wow.

We needed some good news.

I just got home from work and saw this. I'm excited. That video posted earlier of him clubbing a homer was way cool.

Good news indeed, finally.

when the official website of the chicago white sox says "his age is LISTED as 26" then you know he is really probably close to 30 years old. 26 sounds like a perfect age...a little too perfect. still a nice signing tho.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:04 PM)
when the official website of the chicago white sox says "his age is LISTED as 26" then you know he is really probably close to 30 years old. 26 sounds like a perfect age...a little too perfect. still a nice signing tho.

To add on to your post this is a low-risk and can be a very high-reward type signing. I like it.

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 05:18 AM)
Please everyone, lets not mistake a player who's MLB FOP Score (Future Overall Projection) matches Omar Infante with a player like Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome may not hit like crazy in his first season (a transitional season), but to expect less than .300-.390-450 with extremely, extremely solid defense in RF from Fukudome for years 2-4 of the contract would be a mistake. Fukudome is a legitimate ballplayer. Ramirez does have some potential, he does. But he is not a 'young' 22 years old. His body is maxed out and his OFP matches Omar Infante. Can Ramirez be an integral part & nice utility player on a good AL team? Definitely. Is he Alfonso Soriano? Simply put: Not at all. Nice utility players are a good thing to have though. Don't put 'all of your eggs in one basket though' and expect perennial All-Star stuff. I simply work in Pro-Scouting in the new player development department and am not in the front office to hear decisions, etc. But, as a "fan" & helping to give some fans an "intelligent direction" - be happy that you have a nice utility-type - not a future All-Star. I'm not trying to 'sour' this, but corral expectations - I know you're thirsty for a nice move - but make sure to put all transactions into perspective. A player who can help spell at 2B/RF/CF is a nice thing to have. But to think that Ramirez is a player near the talent of Fukudome is a reckless baseball perspective.

Get your well-reasoned analysis and facts out of here. You're killing the (delusional) vibes, man!

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 01:18 AM)
Please everyone, lets not mistake a player who's MLB FOP Score (Future Overall Projection) matches Omar Infante with a player like Kosuke Fukudome. Fukudome may not hit like crazy in his first season (a transitional season), but to expect less than .300-.390-450 with extremely, extremely solid defense in RF from Fukudome for years 2-4 of the contract would be a mistake. Fukudome is a legitimate ballplayer. Ramirez does have some potential, he does. But he is not a 'young' 22 years old. His body is maxed out and his OFP matches Omar Infante. Can Ramirez be an integral part & nice utility player on a good AL team? Definitely. Is he Alfonso Soriano? Simply put: Not at all. Nice utility players are a good thing to have though. Don't put 'all of your eggs in one basket though' and expect perennial All-Star stuff. I simply work in Pro-Scouting in the new player development department and am not in the front office to hear decisions, etc. But, as a "fan" & helping to give some fans an "intelligent direction" - be happy that you have a nice utility-type - not a future All-Star. I'm not trying to 'sour' this, but corral expectations - I know you're thirsty for a nice move - but make sure to put all transactions into perspective. A player who can help spell at 2B/RF/CF is a nice thing to have. But to think that Ramirez is a player near the talent of Fukudome is a reckless baseball perspective.

So how does this analysis square with the scouting report posted by scenario earlier in the thread? I'm not saying you are wrong, I'm just wondering about where such, seemingly, drastic points of view are coming from.

Your body maxes out at 26? I really don't think that is true. Can you please post a link that compares this guy to Omar Infante? I would really like to read it. I have read a lot of good things about this player and I like it.

Fukudome is coming off of surgery on his throwing elbow and he missed half of the 2007 season. He has been compared to Jacque Jones - average all around except for defense where he had to be moved to RF because he couldn't play SS or 3B. I am hardly sold on the guy and think the Cubs drastically overpaid for him. I for one am glad the White Sox didn't get him. There is no way he would have been a good CFer for the White Sox. He basically said that by wanting to play RF instead.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
Your body maxes out at 26? I really don't think that is true. Can you please post a link that compares this guy to Omar Infante? I would really like to read it. I have read a lot of good things about this player and I like it.

Fukudome is coming off of surgery on his throwing elbow and he missed half of the 2007 season. He has been compared to Jacque Jones - average all around except for defense where he had to be moved to RF because he couldn't play SS or 3B. I am hardly sold on the guy and think the Cubs drastically overpaid for him. I for one am glad the White Sox didn't get him. There is no way he would have been a good CFer for the White Sox. He basically said that by wanting to play RF instead.

Agreed about Fukudome. He was overpaid but at least 8 mil. IMO. And in the end most Japanese players are no more than decent in the Big Leagues, with the exceptions of Ichiro and Hideki Matsui.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
Agreed about Fukudome. He was overpaid but at least 8 mil. IMO. And in the end most Japanese players are no more than decent in the Big Leagues, with the exceptions of Ichiro and Hideki Matsui.

Aside form Kaz Matsui how many Japanese star position players have been disappointments in the United States? Guys like So Taguchi and TaYoshi Shinjo were never all that good in Japan, they pretty much lived up to expectations in the US.

I don't know if this article says anything different.

Hay negocio

Fuentes: Cubano Alexei Ramírez firma pacto de cuatro años con los Medias Blancas

Por Enrique Rojas

ESPNdeportes.com

Publicado: 21 de diciembre de 2007, 5:42 PM ET

Comentarios

Enviar

Imprimir

Getty

Ramírez fue una estrella en el Clásico Mundial de Béisbol

ORLANDO -- Los Medias Blancas de Chicago y el desertor cubano Alexei Ramírez alcanzaron un acuerdo preliminar por cuatro años, pendiente a que el jugador supere las pruebas físicas de rigor, dijo una fuente de entero crédito a ESPNdeportes.com.

Los términos económicos del contrato no fueron divulgados debido a que aún el club no ha anunciado la transacción.

Ramírez fue el líder jonronero de la última temporada del béisbol cubano, pero decidió dejar su país y establecer residencia en República Dominicana, en noviembre pasado, para intentar el salto a las ligas mayores.

El jugador, que puede accionar en los jardines y varias posiciones del cuadro interior, realizó exhibiciones colectivas para todos los cazatalentos de Grandes Ligas que trabajan en Dominicana y además tuvo sesiones individuales para los que mostraron mayor interés como Boston, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Cachorros y Medias Blancas de Chicago, Mets y Yankees de Nueva York, Mellizos de Minnesota y Atléticos de Oakland.

"Alexei consiguió un buen acuerdo y estará en los entrenamientos primaverales buscando un puesto en el 'roster' regular de los Medias Blancas", dijo la fuente. "Al poder jugar varias posiciones, tendrá más oportunidades".

Ramírez bateó .332 con 87 jonrones y 391 carreras impulsadas en siete temporadas con Pinar del Río en la pelota cubana. En el 2006, bateó .335 con 68 carreras impulsadas y lideró el circuito con 20 cuadrangulares.

En el Clásico Mundial de Béisbol del 2006, en el que Cuba quedó en segundo lugar, Ramírez fue uno de sus jugadores más destacados.

"Siempre soñé con jugar con los mejores peloteros y cuando tuve esa oportunidad en el Clásico Mundial, entonces me dije a mí mismo que tendría que hacer un esfuerzo para jugar en la misma liga en donde ellos juegan", dijo Ramírez a ESPNdeportes.com recientemente.

Ramírez llegó a Santo Domingo con una visa legal para visitar a su esposa Ingrid, que es dominicana. La pareja tiene dos hijos, Alexei hijo y Alexia, de dos años y cinco meses, respectivamente.

La esposa de Ramírez completó sus estudios en medicina en Cuba y su ciudadanía le permitió al pelotero aplicar para la residencia dominicana, un requisito para evitar tener que ir al sorteo especial que crearon las Grandes Ligas para los peloteros cubanos.

QUOTE(BureauEmployee171 @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
I know you're thirsty for a nice move - but make sure to put all transactions into perspective. A player who can help spell at 2B/RF/CF is a nice thing to have. But to think that Ramirez is a player near the talent of Fukudome is a reckless baseball perspective.

Bah! Humbug! :lol:

I respect your opinion and you may be right, but I still think this is a good gamble for the money and it's nice to have the Sox get someone of potential value this offseason without having to give up good talent.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
Aside form Kaz Matsui how many Japanese star position players have been disappointments in the United States? Guys like So Taguchi and TaYoshi Shinjo were never all that good in Japan, they pretty much lived up to expectations in the US.

Lived up to expectacions yes, became superstars, no. I just think that he won't live up to this superstar attention he is receiving.

Edited by jenks45monster

I think the comparison to Omar Infante might be a little harsh. Outside of one outlier season he rarely showed power, and truthfully was never that great of a hitter. Not saying Ramirez is a lock to start hitting 25 bombs a year -- he won't -- but it sounds, and that's the key word, that he has more upside than that. I've read online that he's still pretty small (6'2/3 170 lbs), so power projections are probably silly to do anyways.

A simple google search yields a pretty in depth scouting report of him from God knows who:

Ramirez enjoyed a breakout season this year for Pinar del Rio, not only batting .335 and smacking a surprising league-leading 20 homers, plus topping the circuit in total bases with 195, but also finishing in the top ten in runs (ninth), hits (fifth), RBI (second), game-winning hits (eighth), and slugging percentage (second at .574). Ramirez runs like a long-legged deer, has a solid outfield arm, displays good if not exceptional range at second and shortstop, and boasts surprising power in his frail-appearing 6-3, 172-pound frame. Built along the physical lines of a young Ernie Banks or Hank Aaron, Ramirez has great wrists and an exceptionally quick bat, as well as excellent plate discipline; nonetheless he is a line drive hitter and not primarily a home run slugger and his 20 round trippers this past winter were perhaps something of an aberration.

http://bjarkmanlatinobaseball.mlblogs.com/...nal_team_s.html

Scouting Grades

Hitting - 60

Power - 40

Arm Strength - 60

Fielding - 50 (OF); 55 (SS)

Speed - 60

This is the scouting report I saw posted earlier.

Now, for the layman, this is the 20-80 scouting scale. Whereas 50 is MLB avg. A player with this OFP would be a 54 - where a 55 is a potential All-Star during peak seasons.

The MLB Scouting Bureau - which provides scouting reports filled out by scouts that work for MLB (none of this is available online), and various other organizational reports from other teams have this scouting score on Ramirez

Hit - 45

Power - 35

Arm - 60

Field - 35 INF 45 OF

Run - 55

OFP: 47

47 would represent a fringe player who may be a starter on 2nd division teams, but is a utility type on 1st division teams. Omar Infante's number: 47. He is maxed out in that - his tools are playable as is - meaning if he were to get 'bigger' he will increase other tools while decreasing in other areas. Meaning - if he got "bigger", he will lose range & speed - negating his defensive ability in positions such as CF & 2B while increasing in power, etc - but his OFP remains the same.

Thanks for the explanation.

Edited by G&T

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:41 PM)
Lived up to expectacions yes, became superstars, no. I just think that he won't live up to this superstar attention he is receiving.

That's sort of the point if they weren't superstars in Japan then there's no reason to believe they'd suddenly find super stardom over here. Ichiro and Hideki were above average to great players over there and they've been above average to great over here as well. Iguchi was a pretty good player over there, was expected to be about an average offensive player over here and lived up to those expectations. Taguchi and Shinjo were ok starting players over there, expected to be nothing more than role players over here and what do know they lived up to those expectations. If you're going to go by how past Japanese position players have faired in the US when projecting Fukudome's transition to the American game then there's a damn good chance he's going to be a pretty good player over here similarly to how he was over there.

Hell I think Shingo lived up to expectations just fine, he was never expected to be a star closer over here but for 1 season he was pretty damn close. He was older and approaching the end of his career, signed a short term, cheap deal with a US team and held his own for a whole season.

Look no further than the Dodgers' closer, Saito for an example of a Japanese player who has long exceeded expectations and has become one of the best closers in American Baseball. Just going off the top of my head I can't think of many Japanese players (pitchers or otherwise) that have been busts in the United States. The Japan/US transition has actually worked out rather well.

Scouting Grades

Hitting - 60

Power - 40

Arm Strength - 60

Fielding - 50 (OF); 55 (SS)

Speed - 60

This is the scouting report I saw posted earlier.

Now, for the layman, this is the 20-80 scouting scale. Whereas 50 is MLB avg. A player with this OFP would be a 54 - where a 55 is a potential All-Star during peak seasons.

The MLB Scouting Bureau - which provides scouting reports filled out by scouts that work for MLB (none of this is available online), and various other organizational reports from other teams have this scouting score on Ramirez

Hit - 45

Power - 35

Arm - 60

Field - 35 INF 45 OF

Run - 55

OFP: 47

47 would represent a fringe player who may be a starter on 2nd division teams, but is a utility type on 1st division teams. Omar Infante's number: 47. He is maxed out in that - his tools are playable as is - meaning if he were to get 'bigger' he will increase other tools while decreasing in other areas. Meaning - if he got "bigger", he will lose range & speed - negating his defensive ability in positions such as CF & 2B while increasing in power, etc - but his OFP remains the same.

Kosuke Fukudome - yes, he was injured - but it was not a major injury and he has displayed thru physicals that he is 100%.

Fukudome's OFP according to the reports turned in by all 30 MLB teams:

65 hit

55 power

65 arm

65 defense

50 run

60 OFP.

60 is a starter on all first division teams with All-Star capability. Players with 60 OFP: Alex Rios, Aramis Ramirez, Nick Markakis.

Now, please keep in mind that both players will undergo "transitional" seasons this coming year. The game they are about to play is much bigger, faster, and more powerful.

The point of this: Fukudome has an OFP of a well-above average MLB player. Ramirez is a fringe-avg. player.

Position Players (not pitchers) do not get 48 M and another get 4+ M for no good reason fellas. Ramirez is a known quantity. All 30 MLB teams have seen him play and have the report above in on him. You don't "steal" a player for 4+ M when all teams have their reports on the player turned in.

Since your a White Sox insider and in player development you must know the reason the White Sox signed this guy. Do they want him to be a utility guy or are they looking at him as a future Centerfielder or shortstop? I really don't know why you posted all that you posted. You do know that they can find out who you are even if you don't post your name on this site. Wouldn't some in the White Sox organization not want stuff posted that you have posted?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 12:39 AM)
I don't know if this article says anything different.

Not really. It does say that his wife did her medical studies in Cuba, which makes sense. And the quote from Ramirez is something like, 'I always dreamed of playing with the best ballplayers and when I got that opportunity in the WBC, I told myself that I had to make an effort to play in the same league where they play.' Those are the only things I didn't see in the English articles -- but then they may have been updated, too.