The White Sox and Alexei Ramírez agree to 4 year deal

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
Bureau, for comparison, how about Richar's either now or at the time of the deal? He is not going anywhere.

An unnamed source with knowledge of the situation has reported that the Sox and Orioles had a deal in place that would have sent Danny Richar to the Orioles in exchange for Brian Roberts. However, the Orioles pulled out of the deal after reading Richar's scouting report which was posted on Soxtalk.com. :P

QUOTE(PHAT ALBERT @ Dec 22, 2007 -> 07:32 AM)
I do not think that the Scouting Buereau gets reports turned in by all 30 teams. Why would they do that? Why would they share proprietary, subjective evaluations with their competitors? No offense, but I think this is kind of bogus.

The Sox used the MLB scouting reports/services when they signed Iguchi. Kenny himself mentioned that it is where the Sox got the information they did about Tadahito.

KW offered Fukudome $51 million for 4 years. He signed Ramirez for less than 1/10th of that. I'm thinking no other team offered Ramirez anything near what the offers for Fukudome were, but maybe I'm wrong and Ramirez really wanted to play for the White Sox so he left $47 million on the table. He may turn into a decent player, but to think he's better than or anywhere near the player Fukudome is would be absolutely ridiculous.

Where did I say that he is better or anywhere near the player Fukudome is at this point in their careers? Can you point that out to me please Dick?

Per whitesox.com ---Scott Merkin, staff writer.

The arrival of Ramirez could mean Juan Uribe's departure because of a healthy Pablo Ozuna possibly joining Ramirez in a super-sub role on the roster and Ramirez's ability to play shortstop.

What do you guys think about the statement of Juan Uribe? Who would take Uribe and his $4.5 million dollar salary? Or do you guys think that we'll either trade Cabrera, or keep him and play Uribe off the bench?

I doubt a package of Uribe and Conteras with a minor leaguer such as Gio/DLS would look that appealing to other clubs.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:55 AM)
Per whitesox.com ---Scott Merkin, staff writer.

What do you guys think about the statement of Juan Uribe? Who would take Uribe and his $4.5 million dollar salary? Or do you guys think that we'll either trade Cabrera, or keep him and play Uribe off the bench?

I doubt a package of Uribe and Conteras with a minor leaguer such as Gio/DLS would look that appealing to other clubs.

It's pure spin. Juan Uribe is gone, Ramirez or no Ramirez, if anyone will take his salary.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:04 AM)
It's pure spin. Juan Uribe is gone, Ramirez or no Ramirez, if anyone will take his salary.

Who would take his salary? The Rays? I seriously have no idea who would take Uribe other than if we packaged him with a prospect and the Count or Konerko to somewhere.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 01:33 AM)
Who would take his salary? The Rays? I seriously have no idea who would take Uribe other than if we packaged him with a prospect and the Count or Konerko to somewhere.

I think Uribe is insurance in case Richar fails. If Richar does well, then Uribe will be dealt to a team whose shortstop is injured. It is also possible that Uribe could go to Baltimore as part of a package for Brian Roberts.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I think Uribe is insurance in case Richar fails. If Richar does well, then Uribe will be dealt to a team whose shortstop is injured. It is also possible that Uribe could go to Baltimore as part of a package for Brian Roberts.

Do the Sox really need Brian Roberts now that they have Alexei Ramirez?

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:36 PM)
Do the Sox really need Brian Roberts now that they have Alexei Ramirez?

In other words, do the Sox really need an accomplished leadoff hitter and starting second baseman now that they have signed a utility player who is not a leadoff type with no major league experience?

I figured when Hunter went to Anaheim that this would be who we ended up with. Thanks for the scouting info BE, I was under the impression Ramirez was a much higher level player than he is in reality. But my opinion is if in the present day salary structure, if he gives us one year as a decent starter, he is a bargain. Hell a guy with Rowands numbers just got 12 mil a year, and we get 4 years of Alexei for less than half of that.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:36 PM)
jenks45monster @ Dec 21, 2007 -> 11:32 PM) *

Agreed about Fukudome. He was overpaid but at least 8 mil. IMO. And in the end most Japanese players are no more than decent in the Big Leagues, with the exceptions of Ichiro and Hideki Matsui.

Kalapse'

Aside form Kaz Matsui how many Japanese star position players have been disappointments in the United States? Guys like So Taguchi and TaYoshi Shinjo were never all that good in Japan, they pretty much lived up to expectations in the US.

Tadahito Iguchi, Akinori Iwamura, Kenji Johjima. Each were putting up numbers like Fukudome just before coming here- OPS well up in the 900s and over 1000. Each has come over here to be solid, right around league average. A good value for the reasonable salaries they have received ($1.8 - $5.2 million). Royals new coach Hillman, who spent 5 years over there, called Iwamura the best left-handed hitter in Japan with Fukudome second best. Fukudome needs to be a star-superstar to warrant the money he's getting. Just like Matsuzaka needs to- and didn't do in his first year. I will be surprised if that happens.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 12:30 PM)
In other words, do the Sox really need an accomplished leadoff hitter and starting second baseman now that they have signed a utility player who is not a leadoff type with no major league experience?

Thanks for the mockery. Now just for that I hope Roberts goes to the Cubs. That's how confident I am in starting Danny Richar, after all, we did give up "god" in Cunningham for him.

Not being all-knowing when it comes to what high draft picks get paid, wouldn't this signing be somewhat comparable to that ?

Ramirez is much older than a college player on the negative side but has fared well in high level international competition albeit in very limited action(WBC). From everything I've read I'd say he gets a long look in spring training and unless he is outstanding will start the season in AA or AAA. Gives the Sox more minor league depth which translates to more trade options but isn't anything to get excited about. Good move for those clamoring for upgrades to the minor league level.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 06:18 PM)
Thanks for the mockery. Now just for that I hope Roberts goes to the Cubs. That's how confident I am in starting Danny Richar, after all, we did give up "god" in Cunningham for him.

I apologize about the mockery. I guess I've been hanging around these message boards too long. I hate when people do that or when people try to come off as know-it-alls and then there I go and do the same thing. If you look through my posting history you'll see I try to remain civil although once in a while I'll throw a little joke in usually followed by an emoticon. Anyway, I'm sorry.

Anyway, to answer your question, I think Roberts would fit in nicely with the Sox because it would give them the quality proven leadoff man they need and would allow them to put their CFer down at #9 in the lineup. It could still be Owens or maybe even Ramirez. Or it could even be a platoon of Anderson/Sweeney which would give them good D in CF but is something they can't even afford to consider without a guy like Roberts in the lineup leading off.

Peace!

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE(max power @ Dec 23, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Speaking of richar, is he still sucking in whatever winter league he is in?

Per Rotoworld

Danny Richar - 2B White Sox

.224/.265/.254, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 17/3 K/BB, 2 SB in 67 AB

Richar hardly embarrassed himself with a .230/.289/.406 line in 187 at-bats for the White Sox, but neither did he do a lot to solidify his status as a regular. The team needs to invest in a legitimate alternative.

Thats Avg/OBP/SLUG for the stats impaired- Looks Good!!!!

Edited by palehose23

I wonder how old this guy really is.

I wonder how baseball execs get to the bottom of age.

You'd think KW has a clause in there that says contract is void if you are proven NOT

to be the age you profess.

That clip looked good but his face did not look like that of a 20-something.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 02:51 PM)
I wonder how old this guy really is.

I wonder how baseball execs get to the bottom of age.

You'd think KW has a clause in there that says contract is void if you are proven NOT

to be the age you profess.

That clip looked good but his face did not look like that of a 20-something.

Greg Oden says hi.

QUOTE(palehose23 @ Dec 30, 2007 -> 12:52 PM)
Per Rotoworld

Danny Richar - 2B White Sox

.224/.265/.254, 0 HR, 5 RBI, 17/3 K/BB, 2 SB in 67 AB

Richar hardly embarrassed himself with a .230/.289/.406 line in 187 at-bats for the White Sox, but neither did he do a lot to solidify his status as a regular. The team needs to invest in a legitimate alternative.

Thats Avg/OBP/SLUG for the stats impaired- Looks Good!!!!

This is Soxtalk. The only poor winter league stats that matter are Brian Anderson's. BTW, BA's average and OBP in 2006 are virtually identical to Richar's in 2007 at the major league level.

Edited by Dick Allen