Joe Crede

JohnCangelosi

Obviously we all want Crede to play well in Spring Training so presumably we can ship him off to another team in a ST deal.

I would like to hear your opinion on what would be the ideal trade we get (within reason) for him in ST. I figure if he can play good D, and swing the bat fairly well we could get a guy like Figgins? Not sure if anyone has thought this through but for sure I don't think we're going to get anything close to fair value for the guy. Figgins may even be pushing it in terms of what we could possibly get for Crede- I would hope we could get more but it looks like that won't be the case...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Joe can prove he is as healthy as he has been in a couple years I think we should keep him.Like you said we are not going to get fair market value for him.I personally still want to see Josh in left because when you lack defensive ability left is the way to go.Keep Joe here and let him prove his worth to the league for a half season and then you can get fair market value for him in June or July.By that time we should know where the Sox stand as far as competing in our division.

Joe is still my favorite player on the team, so, I would love to have him stay if it could benefit the team. But I can't see how it would. You now have a guy in LF you really have to play (Quentin), and that is the only place to move Fields. So that leaves no real room for Crede, unless you want to demote Fields to be a platoon DH with Thome. The only way Joe makes sense to stay is if PK is traded (then, you move Fields to 1B).

Sorry Joe, but you have to go.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
Instead of handing the job to Quentin why not have Josh and him battle it out?Healthy competition.

Quentin and Fields are probably the two most talented young players on the team. Why would you want only one of them to play? That's like setting up the NCAA bracket such that the 1 and 2 seeds to play in the first round.

The priority should be for both of them to play.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
Quentin and Fields are probably the two most talented young players on the team. Why would you want only one of them to play? That's like setting up the NCAA bracket such that the 1 and 2 seeds to play in the first round.

The priority should be for both of them to play.

I would rather have Fields and a healthy Crede on the field if the season started today.I want Quentin to prove to me that he deserves to be out there.I personally do not think Quentin is one of the most talented young players on the team.If he can beat out Josh than that will create a good problem for our organization.

Joe Crede has Boras as an agent, he is a free agent after this year and there will be no compensation when he leaves. I dont see how this is so difficult for everyone to realize that Joe is going to go. He is going to go, so it is absolutely retarded to put Josh out in left and then bring him back into the infield later in the season. It is also retarded to sent him to AAA to work on whatever. All of these damn scenarios I have read on this and other sox sites about how to slide Josh everywhere so that we can accommodate one player whom everyone forgets is a free agent and has a person that the sox refuse to deal with as his agent. Move on people, he is going to go. Robin Ventura went and he was a hell of a more complete player than Joe has shown. Robin was just as popular, although there was no pictures of him set on the rally monkey's body.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:45 AM)
Joe Crede has Boras as an agent, he is a free agent after this year and there will be no compensation when he leaves. I dont see how this is so difficult for everyone to realize that Joe is going to go. He is going to go, so it is absolutely retarded to put Josh out in left and then bring him back into the infield later in the season. It is also retarded to sent him to AAA to work on whatever. All of these damn scenarios I have read on this and other sox sites about how to slide Josh everywhere so that we can accommodate one player whom everyone forgets is a free agent and has a person that the sox refuse to deal with as his agent. Move on people, he is going to go. Robin Ventura went and he was a hell of a more complete player than Joe has shown. Robin was just as popular, although there was no pictures of him set on the rally monkey's body.

Iam not disputing the fact that Joe is gone,I just do not ever want to see Fields as our everyday 3rd basemen.He is a 1st basemen or a left fielder.The sox need to find a diffrent succesor to Joe and they could possibly get one if they wait to mid year to trade Crede.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)
Iam not disputing the fact that Joe is gone,I just do not ever want to see Fields as our everyday 3rd basemen.He is a 1st basemen or a left fielder.The sox need to find a diffrent succesor to Joe and they could possibly get one if they wait to mid year to trade Crede.

Fields is either a third baseman, first baseman or D/H, he's awful in left, forget it. Crede is gone as soon as KW gets the right offer and he will before the Spring is over. I love Crede and if he was willing to sign with the Sox then fine, but he won't so you have to get something for him because you have a guy behind him who'll probably be a better hitter than Joe although he will never be the fielder Crede is. One other thing, Crede should have had his back surgery last off season and he screwed the Sox over by waiting a year, so get something while you can. Fields will probably hit over 30 HR's this year? That's a great replacement.

QUOTE(greylion @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
Fields is either a third baseman, first baseman or D/H, he's awful in left, forget it. Crede is gone as soon as KW gets the right offer and he will before the Spring is over. I love Crede and if he was willing to sign with the Sox then fine, but he won't so you have to get something for him because you have a guy behind him who'll probably be a better hitter than Joe although he will never be the fielder Crede is. One other thing, Crede should have had his back surgery last off season and he screwed the Sox over by waiting a year, so get something while you can. Fields will probably hit over 30 HR's this year? That's a great replacement.

Welcome to the board!

Good first post - I agree with everything but the bolded part. Its easy for a fan to say Crede should have had surgery earlier, but, the reality is that back surgery is an iffy, scary proposition. Any doctor worth anything will tell you that when talking about back issues, surgery should be the last resort. So I can understand why he tried everything but that first.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 09:57 AM)

Thanks for your astute assessment that Josh cannot be a 3rd baseman. Lets pretend that he will never get better and is done as a fielder. He kicked the ball a few times, he is done. Can never get better. In the history of baseball people have never been a poor fielder and have become a decent fielder. Lets forget the fact that he was for whatever reason playing an infield position with an outfielders mitt.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
Thanks for your astute assessment that Josh cannot be a 3rd baseman. Lets pretend that he will never get better and is done as a fielder. He kicked the ball a few times, he is done. Can never get better. In the history of baseball people have never been a poor fielder and have become a decent fielder. Lets forget the fact that he was for whatever reason playing an infield position with an outfielders mitt.

He played 79 games at 3B last year. He proved that he is a hack and always will be a hack at 3B.

In case it's not obvious, the above remark is dripping with sarcasm.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)

Why all the drama?I have seen enough of him at third to form an opinion and realize he doesnt have the natural ability at third.Thirdbase is not a position where you can put someone over there and hope that they become good enough to be mediocre.In left he is already equal to Pods with a better arm.But hey as long as he gets the correct glove over there at third he may be decent.

QUOTE(shipps @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:08 AM)
Why all the drama?I have seen enough of him at third to form an opinion and realize he doesnt have the natural ability at third.Thirdbase is not a position where you can put someone over there and hope that they become good enough to be mediocre.In left he is already equal to Pods with a better arm.But hey as long as he gets the correct glove over there at third he may be decent.

Aramis Ramirez says hello.

Players can, and do, improve defensively.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:09 AM)
Aramis Ramirez says hello.

Players can, and do, improve defensively.

Joe Crede wasn't created with a gold glove on his hand either. He improved. He was never bad defensively, but he took steps up. FWIW, Josh has only been playing baseball full-time for 3 years now. Compared to Joe's 11 (and that's just pro ball). Josh will improve.

Edited by sircaffey

I would like to see us trade either Kornerko or Crede, with Fields filling in for whichever gets traded. Kornerko is probably a better trading chip than Crede and frees up more money. Trading Kornerko would leave us with Crede at 3B and Fields at 1B which is better defensively than Fields at 3B and Kornerko at 1B, IMO.

You don't want to trade Crede or Kornerko just to get rid of them. Like KW always says, the right matchup has to occur first.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:30 AM)
I would like to see us trade either Kornerko or Crede, with Fields filling in for whichever gets traded. Kornerko is probably a better trading chip than Crede and frees up more money. Trading Kornerko would leave us with Crede at 3B and Fields at 1B which is better defensively than Fields at 3B and Kornerko at 1B, IMO.

You don't want to trade Crede or Kornerko just to get rid of them. Like KW always says, the right matchup has to occur first.

You don't want to keep them and stunt your best young player's growth either. The right match-up has to be broadened a lot in a situation like this.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 28, 2007 -> 11:36 AM)
Everyone has extremely short memories, Joe wasnt exactly a gg'er when he first played 3B for the Sox. Fields has the ability to be an all-star caliber player, lets see if he can realize that potential.

Yes sir. Josh is probably the best athlete on this team. He has all the tools to become a good player no matter where he ends up.