White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)
I absolutely despise this trade. KW talks about these guys as being too much to give up for Cabrera and then trades them for Swisher? That is bulls***. The Sox needed to be doing what the As and Marlins are doing, stockpiling prospects and trading away overpriced veterans. I don't know if Swisher can even play CF, meaning that the Quentin trade was stupid. The Sox will be challenging the 1962 Mets for worst team ever in 2010. There is no one, at the moment, in the minors that is ready to play in the majors. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nein. Aaron Poreda is an injury waiting to happen. I doubt Lance Broadway will do anything at in the majors once he faces a team other than the Royals. Most of the guys that project to be major leaguers are HS guys who were drafted in 2007, meaning they are at least 3 years away. KW is on crack, acid or needs to be put in the looney bin if he had any hope or prayer of the Sox competing before 2010 before this trade, because Detroit and Cleveland are that much better than us. Now, we'll be lucky if we're competing by 2013. Here's to 5 seasons in last place. I still love the Sox and will support them through this terrible play, but I hope that JR sees the light and fires KW before he runs the franchise into the ground, to the point that we're the laughingstock of MLB. Hell, the Marlins will compete before us.

1. Swisher played almost 60 games in CF last year.

2. How is Aaron Poreda an injury waiting to happen? Based on what exactly?

3. If none of the guys in the minors will be anything for three year, how will the Sox be the worst team in the world in 2010?

4. Why shouldn't KW try to compete? What is he supposed to do? Trade all the veterans away and field a Marlin's type team?

5. How does this trade make it less likely that the Sox will compete THIS year? None of the players the Sox traded would really have helped this year, so how does this impact 2008?

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Elgin Slim @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:34 PM)
I absolutely despise this trade. KW talks about these guys as being too much to give up for Cabrera and then trades them for Swisher? That is bulls***. The Sox needed to be doing what the As and Marlins are doing, stockpiling prospects and trading away overpriced veterans. I don't know if Swisher can even play CF, meaning that the Quentin trade was stupid. The Sox will be challenging the 1962 Mets for worst team ever in 2010. There is no one, at the moment, in the minors that is ready to play in the majors. None. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Nein. Aaron Poreda is an injury waiting to happen. I doubt Lance Broadway will do anything at in the majors once he faces a team other than the Royals. Most of the guys that project to be major leaguers are HS guys who were drafted in 2007, meaning they are at least 3 years away. KW is on crack, acid or needs to be put in the looney bin if he had any hope or prayer of the Sox competing before 2010 before this trade, because Detroit and Cleveland are that much better than us. Now, we'll be lucky if we're competing by 2013. Here's to 5 seasons in last place. I still love the Sox and will support them through this terrible play, but I hope that JR sees the light and fires KW before he runs the franchise into the ground, to the point that we're the laughingstock of MLB. Hell, the Marlins will compete before us.

IIRC two of the sticking points in the Cabrera trade was that the Marlins were looking for a catching prospect which we didn't have to offer and they wanted...no....they insisted that Willis be included in the trade. Ozzie who saw and worked with Willis didn't like what he saw over the last year of two and said he didn't want any part of Dontrelle.

With just those two points...the deal was dead.

Edited by juddling

QUOTE(juddling @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
i think the same was said when Royce Ring was traded. He then went on to be traded 3 or 4 more times that season IIRC. Sox traded him twice in the last few years and Phillies got him and gave him back so mabye his sh*t isn't as good as everyone thinks it is.

Alright, a Gio and Ring comparison is quite ridiculous. I'm not Gio's biggest fan but those two aren't even comparable.

QUOTE(Pasqua's Mailman @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
1. Swisher played almost 60 games in CF last year. But was bad.

2. How is Aaron Poreda an injury waiting to happen? Based on what exactly? He has pitiful mechanics

3. If none of the guys in the minors will be anything for three year, how will the Sox be the worst team in the world in 2010? Because our team is over the hill and we have no players in the farm to replace them when they leave.

4. Why shouldn't KW try to compete? What is he supposed to do? Trade all the veterans away and field a Marlin's type team? Yes.

5. How does this trade make it less likely that the Sox will compete THIS year? None of the players the Sox traded would really have helped this year, so how does this impact 2008? It makes us a better this year, but I fail to see how this will "put us over the edge."

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:50 PM)
Alright, a Gio and Ring comparison is quite ridiculous. I'm not Gio's biggest fan but those two aren't even comparable.

I"m not comparing Gio and Ring talentwise...but comparing what was said about each when they were traded. I admit, i don't follow the minors that closely but when Royce was traded i thought we were trading away a future All-star with the doom and gloom reaction of some on this board. It's the same now with Gio and/or DLS.

These guys are prospects until they do something in the majors. Swisher has done something in the majors (both good and bad). At least with Swisher we can see what we are getting. Gio lead the minors in K's this year if i read that right but that doens't mean he's gonna come up and tear up the AL when he comes up. He might..but we don't know.

QUOTE(juddling @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
I"m not comparing Gio and Ring talentwise...but comparing what was said about each when they were traded. I admit, i don't follow the minors that closely but when Royce was traded i thought we were trading away a future All-star with the doom and gloom reaction of some on this board. It's the same now with Gio and/or DLS.

These guys are prospects until they do something in the majors. Swisher has done something in the majors (both good and bad). At least with Swisher we can see what we are getting. Gio lead the minors in K's this year if i read that right but that doens't mean he's gonna come up and tear up the AL when he comes up. He might..but we don't know.

I don't think people were too upset about trading Ring. He was a relief prospect, not that big of a deal to be honest. Most importantly, the American League Central is drastically different than it was back than.

Big time difference between Gio and Ring and the division.

At what point do you stop trading away pitching and start acquiring some? With prospects being as good as gold recently, where is the pitching going to come from? This team doesn't draft well. This team doesn't develop talent well. This team doesn't commit long-term contracts to SP (Buehrle being the one exception). So if we aren't going to develop it from within and we aren't going to get it from the free agent market, where is it going to come from? I just don't understand the philosophy here. You win the WS almost exclusively on pitching, and suddenly you choose to get rid of almost all of the pitching in this organization. I'm baffled.

QUOTE(Pasqua's Mailman @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
1. Swisher played almost 60 games in CF last year.

2. How is Aaron Poreda an injury waiting to happen? Based on what exactly?

3. If none of the guys in the minors will be anything for three year, how will the Sox be the worst team in the world in 2010?

4. Why shouldn't KW try to compete? What is he supposed to do? Trade all the veterans away and field a Marlin's type team?

5. How does this trade make it less likely that the Sox will compete THIS year? None of the players the Sox traded would really have helped this year, so how does this impact 2008?

See BearSox's post. He read my mind.

Wawawewa! Just found out about the deal and I'm a fan. We gave up a lot, but when was the last time one of our pitching spects really panned out? Buehrle? Jenks doesn't really count. Swished gives us a bonafide slugger in his prime, and the fact that we have him under control until 2012 absolutely makes the deal worth it. He's going to be amazing in the Cell. Hurts to give up Gio and DLS, but DLS is still at least 2 seasons away, and Swisher is in/entering his prime. I haven't been giddy about a White Sox trade in a while.

Now, if we could somehow swing a Crede/Konerko for Figgins/Santana/spect(s) deal, we'd be incredibly improved.

CF - Figgins

SS - Cabrera

1B - Swisher

DH - Thome

RF - Dye

3B - Fields

LF - Quentin

C - Pierzynski

2B - Richar

SP - Buehrle

SP - Vazquez

SP - Contreras

SP - Danks

SP - Santana

1. Swisher played almost 60 games in CF last year. But was bad.

So what hes not a long term CF most likely. He can play 3 other positions which the White Sox will have a need for in the upcoming 2-3 seasons (LF, RF, 1B) so perhaps he plays out of position 1 season. Big deal, Swisher is now one of the most talented players on the White Sox.

2. How is Aaron Poreda an injury waiting to happen? Based on what exactly? He has pitiful mechanics

I assume you are a professional scout or Dr to make a conclusion like this.

3. If none of the guys in the minors will be anything for three year, how will the Sox be the worst team in the world in 2010? Because our team is over the hill and we have no players in the farm to replace them when they leave.

Top 10 spects by BA in 2006 http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/featu...s/whitesox.html

1. Bobby Jenks, rhp

2. Brian Anderson, of

3. Ryan Sweeney, of

4. Josh Fields, 3b

5. Jerry Owens, of

6. Robert Valido, ss

7. Ray Liotta, lhp

8. Lance Broadway, rhp

9. Francisco Hernandez, c

10. Sean Tracey, rhp

As you can see its very hard to say that any 3 spects 2-3 years later would drastically devastate a team.

4. Why shouldn't KW try to compete? What is he supposed to do? Trade all the veterans away and field a Marlin's type team? Yes.

Thats a horrible idea. The White Sox would lose all the gains they made by winning the World Series within 2-3 seasons. They would go back to being a second class team and the place would be empty.

Not to mention the Marlins trade for MLB ready spects. Gio, DLS, and Sweeney were not those types. If anything Swisher is more of a player the Marlins would want, young, cheap, signed for years, and already proven.

5. How does this trade make it less likely that the Sox will compete THIS year? None of the players the Sox traded would really have helped this year, so how does this impact 2008? It makes us a better this year, but I fail to see how this will "put us over the edge."

Maybe it doesnt, but it makes it much easier for the Sox to put themselves over the edge. Right now if the Sox can get 1-2 consistent durable pitchers they will win a lot more games. Its a work in progress, but to say right now that things dont look better for the Sox for now and the future is kind of silly.

Who was the last top 10 Sox pitching prospect to be an All-Star?

Edited by Soxbadger

I think it is impossible to fully evaluate this trade now.

Swisher makes the Sox a better team for 2008, but only enough to keep them out of the AL Central cellar - this trade does not put them on a level on compete with Detroit or Cleveland (barring a major meltdown from either of them). Maybe the acquisition of Swisher means another trade is in the works, elevating the Sox to compete with Minnesota.

This trade can be more fully evaluated in 2009-10-11.

Having at least a fair farm system is a vital piece of a successful organization. How many starting players (8 position plus 5 starters) on the 2005 team came thru the Sox system? At least 3 of 13.. and three really good ones at that... The rest can be built thru trades and free agent signings. How many good farm system prospects will be significant contributors to the Sox in 2009/2010? Probably none.

I do not like the direction the Sox are heading... less like Atlanta and more like Houtson....

Edited by easyw

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
I'm sorry, but that's a terrible goal to have. I think the goal should be prolonged success, and the Sox don't look to be in that position.

Sounds like something that Ron Schueler would say. How did his strategy work out?

Their core on offense (as we sit today) is still very old.

Their core offense (Paulie, Thome, Dye, Swisher, Cabrera, Fields, and perhaps Crede) is going to f'n rake this season. That's a VERY strong lineup.

If we were playing our first game tomorrow, we'd be an absolutely terrible defensive team:

C - Pierzynski - average-ish. Not going to hurt you but he's nothing wonderful either.

1B - Konerko - Terrible range, great hands. Overall probably below average.

2B - Richar - TBD.

SS - Cabrera - Above average, but it's been a long time since we've had a bad (or even below aveage) defensive SS -- yes, Valentin included -- so...

3B - Fields - Below average-to-brutal.

LF - Quentin - Well-above average. The smart move would be putting him in RF.

CF .... (If it's Swisher, we're below average.)

RF - Dye - Terrible.

Way to de-value Paulie, Cabrera, Fields, and Dye to support your argument.

The Sox didn't deal projected superstar material to land Swisher. Therefore, I don't see what your problem is. I don't know about you, but I'd like to see the Sox give it one more shot before mailing it in and rebuilding in '09. If the Sox fail to contend this year (as many here think that will), they can deal Paulie and Cabrera for prospects at the deadline. And they can deal Dye at the deadline in '09 for even more prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:05 PM)
Now, if we could somehow swing a Crede/Konerko for Figgins/Santana/spect(s) deal, we'd be incredibly improved.

SP - Buehrle

SP - Vazquez

SP - Contreras

SP - Danks

SP - Santana

I agree that the biggest need on the remaining wish list is a pitcher. However, I think the Sox need a 3rd starter far more than they need another 5th starter. I do agree one of Danks/Floyd should be the odd man out. With that said, if you have to live with Contreras, he needs to get shuffled down at least one slot. I believe the best answer (if it is really possible), is to parlay PK and Crede for as much young talent possible, with the thought that some or all of said players and either Danks or Floyd could net a return of a Bedard or some other name not on the radar right now. Not sure what team could provide the best match for PK, but I do not think it is the LAA. Maybe AZ? Maybe team X?

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:17 PM)
I don't think Swisher is a good choice for CF. We saw what happened the last time we put a non-CF out there that didn't belong (see: Rob Makowiak).

Square peg, round hole.

DING DING DING

Which is why if we trade somebody now ... it should be Dye not Konerko. And if we have this illusion that we are going to getting something for either ... *see sig

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
DING DING DING

Which is why if we trade somebody now ... it should be Dye not Konerko. And if we have this illusion that we are going to getting something for either ... *see sig

And to think if so many people love this trade for the Sox, they are going to be vastly disappointed for the returns of Dye and Konerko.

Go buckeyes!!

So far in this thread:

Cabrera is an avg to above avg defender

The sox can't compete because their core is too old

Dls and gio are future stars

Our farm system is so bad that the team will be in last until 2012

Cle and det have already won the division.

About right? Craziness. Step back from prospect love and check out what kw just did here. Our younger core, which should peak sometime in the next 4 years is set up cheaply and nicely with fields, quentin, swisher, owens, richar, danks, and floyd. Within that group you have possibly and entire outfield, a corner infielder, a middle infielder, and two sps. You also potentially just found you 3,4,5 hitters that will replace thome, kong and dye. They are all long term, and cheap players. Do you understand what that does for our future, and how much that negates the importance of several of our top spects now? We could potentially have sewn up 5 of the most expensive and important positions on the team, if not more, from these moves, and without paying a huge cost. Potentially its a brilliant move for our future and not for immediate success like some have wrongly mentioned. Just because you trade prospects, does not mean you are mortgaging your future. s***, look at what mortgaging jeremy reed and olivo has netted us consistently over these several years.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)
Go buckeyes!!

So far in this thread:

Cabrera is an avg to above avg defender

The sox can't compete because their core is too old

Dls and gio are future stars

Our farm system is so bad that the team will be in last until 2012

Cle and det have already won the division.

About right? Craziness. Step back from prospect love and check out what kw just did here. Our younger core, which should peak sometime in the next 4 years is set up cheaply and nicely with fields, quentin, swisher, owens, richar, danks, and floyd. Within that group you have possibly and entire outfield, a corner infielder, a middle infielder, and two sps. You also potentially just found you 3,4,5 hitters that will replace thome, kong and dye. They are all long term, and cheap players. Do you understand what that does for our future, and how much that negates the importance of several of our top spects now? We could potentially have sewn up 5 of the most expensive and important positions on the team, if not more, from these moves, and without paying a huge cost. Potentially its a brilliant move for our future and not for immediate success like some have wrongly mentioned. Just because you trade prospects, does not mean you are mortgaging your future. s***, look at what mortgaging jeremy reed and olivo has netted us consistently over these several years.

You're logic and extended thoughts have no place on this message board. We must ask you to leave.