White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:12 PM)
Damn, I didn't know the grammar nazis were in town this weekend...

Excuse me, Chamberlin. Wait, I forgot the a before the i. Chamberlain. Sometimes I type fast without thinking about the spelling. Sorry if I don't live up to your standards.

gotta admit my standards were very high on you, you had a high ceiling, i am just thinking of trading you now.

and you quoted the wrong thing i thought you would say something atleast about your bold prediction .. anyways I was a big fan of sweeney too, but come on let it go

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
And anybody in the Swisher trade would have been? Excluding the monster stats Sweeney will put up this year of course.

DLS will be. We will regret trading him for a long time. Pitchers with his stuff just don't grow on trees.

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
gotta admit my standards were very high on you, you had a high ceiling, i am just thinking of trading you now.

and you quoted the wrong thing i thought you would say something atleast about your bold prediction .. anyways I was a big fan of sweeney too, but come on let it go

You only have 28 posts. It would be stupid to trade you now. You have the potential to make a big impact during the season. ;)

Edited by Greg The Bull Luzinski

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Doesn't ZIPS also have a very low opinion of the 2008 White Sox even with Swisher?

I think the guy that posted the Whitesox ZIPS projections just took the Swisher one from the A's ... who knows ZIPS might have different feelings of him in a black and white uni

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
People are starting to think I hate this trade because of Sweeney being gone. While I will miss Sweeney as I was a huge fan of his, I hate this trade because we gave up a future ace, yes ace, in DLS.

Believing you know for sure that DLS is an ace and being mad for that reason, is much more ridiculous than your man crush reason, imo. I don't even know for sure that DLS is a future MLB starter.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:54 PM)
Then how will we compete? By trading some prospects for major league players? That's a nice theory when you actually have prospects other teams would want to trade for... how how about we bring up some prospects who can contribute a la Joba Champerlin? Oh wait, we don't have any good prospects who we could call up and make a difference.

We should've given $100M to Hunter and $350M to A-Rod, just for good measure, no way they could've refused that. Next year we should throw $200M at Johan Santana. But KW won't give all that money to free agents, so he sucks, and we will suck.

Geez dude, I thought I was overly critical of KW sometimes, I mean damn.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
We should've given $100M to Hunter and $350M to A-Rod, just for good measure, no way they could've refused that. Next year we should throw $200M at Johan Santana. But KW won't give all that money to free agents, so he sucks, and we will suck.

Geez dude, I thought I was overly critical of KW sometimes, I mean damn.

Free agency is the only realistic way we can get better. We don't have any major trading options in our farm or anyone who can make an impact. Believe me, if I had it my way, we'd be like the Dodgers having several prospects to decide to call up or trade.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:15 PM)
Doesn't ZIPS also have a very low opinion of the 2008 White Sox even with Swisher? Are we supposed to think they are accurate when positively predicting a White Sox player, and a bunch of crap when their projection is less than we hope? I hope some of these minor league pitchers can do something on the major league level because pitchers get hurt and some are ineffective. When the White Sox won it all, they needed 3 closers. With the price of pitching today, either KW is going for it for 1 year and then holding a massive firesale for prospects, or he thinks none of his pitchers will ever get hurt, or be ineffective, or he plans on having a few drafts of the century.

What are you talking about? That post was probably the first time I mentioned ZIPS at all. I've never mentioned one word about its credibility, just that it had a pretty optimistic prediction about a guy who was in AA last year.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 07:43 PM)
Free agency is the only realistic way we can get better.

Who...

Where...

When...

...and how much.

What free agent who is out there right now is going to make the Sox into a WS contender all of a sudden?

We have question marks/holes in the rotation but unfortunately there is no magic switch that the GM can flip to fix it. Either the guys we have are going to do well or they aren't, that's just how it is.

QUOTE(max power @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
Believing you know for sure that DLS is an ace and being mad for that reason, is much more ridiculous than your man crush reason, imo. I don't even know for sure that DLS is a future MLB starter.

Right now its most likely he will end up in the pen.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
People are starting to think I hate this trade because of Sweeney being gone. While I will miss Sweeney as I was a huge fan of his, I hate this trade because we gave up a future ace, yes ace, in DLS.

Really? From having seen him pitch one time?

just for comparison's sake

De Los Santos - 2007 - 122.1 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 11.3 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 3.6 K/BB, 0.6 HR/9 between A and A+

Mystery pitcher - recently - 139.1 IP, 2.52 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 12.9 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 4.5 K/BB, 0.5 HR/9, between A, A+, and AA

Mystery pitcher threw more innings, had a better ERA, allowed the same amount of baserunners, exhibited better stuff, better control, allowed homers at a better rate, and did so over 3 levels, though he only threw 12 innings at AA.

Do you really think people consider Yusmeiro Petit to be a future ace?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
Free agency is the only realistic way we can get better. We don't have any major trading options in our farm or anyone who can make an impact. Believe me, if I had it my way, we'd be like the Dodgers having several prospects to decide to call up or trade.

There is another flaw with that thinking. When you start signing all kinds of FA, what do you lose? You lose those draft picks. So, going that way, you spend a whole bunch a cash and your farm system stays barren because you just gave up all of your picks to some other teams.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 09:28 PM)
Really? From having seen him pitch one time?

just for comparison's sake

De Los Santos - 2007 - 122.1 IP, 2.65 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 11.3 K/9, 3.2 BB/9, 3.6 K/BB, 0.6 HR/9 between A and A+

Mystery pitcher - recently - 139.1 IP, 2.52 ERA, 0.92 WHIP, 12.9 K/9, 2.8 BB/9, 4.5 K/BB, 0.5 HR/9, between A, A+, and AA

Mystery pitcher threw more innings, had a better ERA, allowed the same amount of baserunners, exhibited better stuff, better control, allowed homers at a better rate, and did so over 3 levels, though he only threw 12 innings at AA.

Do you really think people consider Yusmeiro Petit to be a future ace?

Oh wow, they had similar stats. OMG, wow, that is amazing... I don't give a s***. Petit is a nice guy to have in the rotation and someone I can see being a no. 3, but DLS was much more raw and put up those stats with only 2 pitches. With good coaching and the addition of a changeup, DLS will be an ace. Plain and simple. He has close to the best stuff in all of the minors.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 10:56 PM)
Oh wow, they had similar stats. OMG, wow, that is amazing... I don't give a s***. Petit is a nice guy to have in the rotation and someone I can see being a no. 3, but DLS was much more raw and put up those stats with only 2 pitches. With good coaching and the addition of a changeup, DLS will be an ace. Plain and simple. He has close to the best stuff in all of the minors.

thats a bit much

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 11:02 PM)
Actually, DLS also heals the sick, changes water to wine, and walks on water.

omg no way people have to tell me these things before I go out and make a fool of myself with my previous comment, damn!