White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

just heard on 670, more details to follow.

Kenny Williams on Swisher

“Nick is a quality switch hitter who consistently gets on base, hits for power and drives in runs,” Williams said. “He gives Ozzie Guillen offensive flexibility with his ability to hit in a number of spots up and down the batting order, and his athleticism allows him to play any outfield position or first base. Nick brings to the ballpark a mix of hard-nosed play, energy and a commitment to winning, and he brings it each and every day. He’s a great addition to our team and clubhouse.”

Edited by knightni

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
Swish hit .262 but with a .381 OBP last year, 22 dongs, 78 RBI, 36 2B.

Sounds like just Sweeney and Gio.

I love Nick Swisher. Put him in a smaller park and you'll see that average climb, the power numbers climb, and the OBP stay ridiculously high. In fact, I think he could easily push a .400 OBP.

Why is this a great trade ?

Last 3 years, his batting averages are .236, .254, and .262

2 years ago, in 157 games, he had 35 HR and 95 RBI.

Last season, he had 22 HR and 78 RBI.

What is his contract situation ? I know he's only 27, but is he signed for a few more years ?

What position does he play ? CF ? LF ?

Where do we stand on a lead off hitter ?

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:06 PM)
DLS gone?

Gah. f***. this.

DLS is at least three years away, who cares... Gio's the biggest piece here and Nick Swisher is going to CRUSH in the Cell... the smaller foul territory will = a 20 point increase in batting average alone.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Why is this a great trade ?

Last 3 years, his batting averages are .236, .254, and .262

Because batting averages tell the whole story.

Swisher is a stud, and he's going to absolutely rake in the Cell.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:07 AM)
Dosen't Swisher play CF too?

I know when he was in the minors a lot of people thought he'd play center. That said, he's a bigger guy so I don't think he'd have the range for CF. Quentin would be more likely to play CF, imo. This move gives the Sox a huge OBP guy to have near the top of the order and gets them another young position player (although they obviously gave up a couple of there finest prospects).

My question is does this make the Sox consider moving one of there veteran bats.

Swisher played 59 games in CF last year.

Also even though his BA is was only .262 his obp was .381. He drew 100 bbs last year and should benefit moving out of the A's stadium.

Its hard to trade our top 2 pitching spects, but I really do not have faith in the Sox pitching spects due to our past history so my guess is that in 3 or 4 years Sox fans will be very happy that Swisher is a Sox player.

Swisher is signed through the 2011 season with a club option for 2012.

Below is a quote from Williams on the trade:

“Nick is a quality switch hitter who consistently gets on base, hits for power and drives in runs,” Williams said. “He gives Ozzie Guillen offensive flexibility with his ability to hit in a number of spots up and down the batting order, and his athleticism allows him to play any outfield position or first base. Nick brings to the ballpark a mix of hard-nosed play, energy and a commitment to winning, and he brings it each and every day. He’s a great addition to our team and clubhouse.”