White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and what is with Oakland and our farm system, they LOVE our young guys.

that could be a very bad thing. like chris young bad. beane knows how to GM.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
that could be a very bad thing. like chris young bad. beane knows how to GM.

KW doesn't know how to GM though. Everyone we draft stinks. KW should have been fired long ago for drafting all these guys because they all suck.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
Sadly, I think yes.

will you guys get off this, he's always going to say things like this.

let me make it clear to you all:

every year, KW will say this

"were out to win a championship THIS YEAR"

but does he believe it? I think there is a reason he got a young OF with a 5 year contract.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:57 PM)
The good thing is that if any of those players leave in free agency, we get picks. If our team isnt contending at the deadline, we can get spects. I like this direction alot.

And there is no way in hell DLS is close to a top 10 prospect in baseball right now, no way in hell. In fact, many scouts project him in the bullpen in the future. Right this second, Gio is the main haul in this trade, by a long shot.

Ok just for the sake of discussion, who are 10 better prospects in baseball right now than DLS?

And what about 10 better pitching prospects also?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
Ok just for the sake of discussion, who are 10 better prospects in baseball right now than DLS?

And what about 10 better pitching prospects also?

Just off the top of my head without looking, Bailey, Cueto, Chamberlain, Hughes, Buccholz...

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:49 PM)
Swisher can play 1B. Wouldn't it be nice to have Swisher move to 1B and Paulie DH against LHP?

I still think it makes more sense to rest the older, much more banged up Jermaine Dye as DH against LHP than it does to rest Konerko. Yeah rest Konerko some times, but give JD's legs the rest. We saw what he could do when he was healthy in 06, and we saw how much he struggled when beaten up in 07.

White Sox acquired outfielder Nick Swisher from the Athletics for LHP Gio Gonzalez, outfielder Ryan Sweeney and RHP Fautino De Los Santos.

It's going to be interesting to see how the White Sox try to fit these pieces together. If they're willing to use Swisher in center field, they're improving their lineup immensely with the deal, though it's at a steep cost in the team's top two pitching prospects and the still promising Sweeney. If they're doing it with the idea of using Swisher in left field, leaving no room for Carlos Quentin, then the deal could prove to be a major bust. We're guessing they'll pencil him into center for now but continue to look for alternatives. Either way, Swisher gets a nice upgrade in fantasy value with the switch to the AL's best home run park. He'll be a threat to hit 35-40, especially if the White Sox are smart enough to hit him second. Jan. 3 - 2:31 pm et

that's what i don't get though. cabrera, supposedly has failed in lead off before, so it makes sense to keep him hitting second with swisher leading off. crazy but true.

I'll ask again but does anyone know how good of a cf Swish is? I honestly don't recall see him playing center, so I'm very curious.

word is he takes great angles to the ball and has a very good arm. he's definently doable in CF. especially for a team without a CF to start. that is considering owens is a 4th OFer and nothing more.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
that's what i don't get though. cabrera, supposedly has failed in lead off before, so it makes sense to keep him hitting second with swisher leading off. crazy but true.

Cabrera hasn't really led off much though, and not in several years. It's not exactly that fair to say he'll never be a quality leadoff guy. He's not the best option there, but if he hits .300 out of that slot and Swisher puts up a .400+ OBP in front of Thome, as a switch hitter...that is the building blocks of a solid offense.

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:02 PM)
word is he takes great angles to the ball and has a very good arm. he's definently doable in CF. especially for a team without a CF to start. that is considering owens is a 4th OFer and nothing more.

I wish Owens could play more than one position passably. He wouldn't be a defensive replacement late in the game in CF...but he''s a great option as a pinch runner and as an occasional starter in LF.

The White Sox officially have zero prospects in the minors now. Swisher's not a bad ballplayer (Love the OBP) but he's not a CF nor a leadoff man so what need is he filling for '08? And past Buehrle and Vazquez, relying on the combo of Danks, Floyd and Contreras to fill the rotation out is nothing short of praying for a miracle. If one of them failed, at least there was a backup plan. Now there isn't any.

We'll be lucky to see 70+ wins this yr and beyond.

you are being waaay too tough on the White Sox. Chicago is bound to win 83-87 games this year. what will the future hold? we shall see.

Holy f***ing s***, a good move? YAY! Nice to see a stud like Swisher on the team. Finally, some good news...

BTW, you guys complaining that we're still not a contender... one move doesn't make a team gold, but it takes time and various good pieces. Here's one good piece. Be happy to see a good move, otherwise you won't ever be happy at all.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:21 PM)
Holy f***ing s***, a good move? YAY! Nice to see a stud like Swisher on the team. Finally, some good news...

BTW, you guys complaining that we're still not a contender... one move doesn't make a team gold, but it takes time and various good pieces. Here's one good piece. Be happy.

If the starting pitchers we have step up, then this team could well be a contender right now. That's a big if, but we certainly have an offense that could pull it off.

well to be fair, i think most people thought we got a fair return on garland, just not the right one, i think most of us would've preferred that buchholz, taveraz, hirsch package the year before.

but as of right now, i love it. in the offseason our OF went from the worst in the bigs to having JD and two high obp guys with 25-35 hr capability. AND our 3b is much better shape than 1/2 of last year, when...andy *shutter* gonzalez and pablo PABLO OZUNA were there. UGH. 2b with richar is scary but hopefully he can be what you'd expect out of a #8 or #9 hitter, and our SS is >>>>> than last year. Now, we need our young pitching to improve, so, roll the dice, our pitching will either perform or not. But, at least our team will be much more fun to watch this year.

best post of the thread. i echo those sentiments. this team will be very fun to watch/listen to under the summer sun while grilling and drinking brewskis!