White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
Nice to get an everday player so many of you say is good.

I'll trust you that we got a good player.

Do you think Sweeney is going to be a good major leaguer?

I officially am in favor of the trade FWIW and I realize my blessing ain't worth much more than a cup of coffee.

Honestly, I think Swisher may end up being the most popular player on the Sox and will be a all star caliber player for a few seasons at least. He's pretty damn good.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying Santana is going to be a Cy Young winner but i think he could be a nice #3 or #4 guy which would fit well with MB and Javier. Besides....apparently it's a forgone conclusion (reading this board) that both Danks and Floyd are going to suck so you have to have someone pitch....and as an added bonus..I'd like to see Figgins in CF and at the top of our lineup.

1.Figgins

2.Cabrera

3.Thome

4.Dye

5.Swisher

6.Crede

7.A.J.

8.Fields

9.Richar/Uribe

yeah, your avatar is bangin! i mean i like what you are thinking. shipping out the non-vocal leader in PK for figgins and santana would be OK for me. we would have great 1 and 2 lead off guys not to mention a nice young starting pitcher. i think PK didn't live up to his $$$ last season. but i also think he's due for a better year so we will see. by shipping out PK, it would open up swisher at 1B where he would really shine.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
I want to know what Figgins adds to this team that Swisher wouldnt be able to if say he was the lead off hitter.

1. Swisher

2. Ocab

3. Thome

4. Kong

5. Dye

6. Fields

7. Quentin

8. AJP

9 Richar

Figgins give us more of a natural lead-off man, and I think it's obvious he gives us more speed. He'd also allow us to use Swisher's run producing ability closer to the middle of the lineup.

QUOTE(bmags @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
i don't know about that, I really like Det's rotation, at least 1-2-3, it is their bullpen that I don't think much of.

You like them because it is not our team. Contreras, Danks, and Floyd are finished/not good enough yet respectively because, emotionally invested, you watched them do poorly last year. Bonderman, however, is great. He's Bonderman, that guy who everyone's talked about for a few years and he's gonna be great, so he's very good. Never mind that he was bad last year and in 5 full years as a starter he's had exactly 1 year that was at least league average. He's good, he's to be feared, he's Bonderman. Oh, and Willis, too. He almost won a Cy Young. Last year didn't happen. And Kenny Rogers is fine he's great. He started 11 games last year. Contreras, that guy is old, he's done. He's 48, really. Sure he was pretty awesome when he was like 46, but he's 48 now. Rogers is only 43.

Swish has been my man crush for sometime now and to have him on the south side in the cell makes me drool. I cant wait to see what happens next...PK gone...Thome gone???..... quentin gone??????(highly doubt it though wouldnt mind it).....JD gone??...... id still like to see a lead off hitter on this team....... WELCOME ABOARD Nick, have fun at the cell.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 06:14 AM)
You like them because it is not our team. Contreras, Danks, and Floyd are finished/not good enough yet respectively because, emotionally invested, you watched them do poorly last year. Bonderman, however, is great. He's Bonderman, that guy who everyone's talked about for a few years and he's gonna be great, so he's very good. Never mind that he was bad last year and in 5 full years as a starter he's had exactly 1 year that was at least league average. He's good, he's to be feared, he's Bonderman. Oh, and Willis, too. He almost won a Cy Young. Last year didn't happen. And Kenny Rogers is fine he's great. He started 11 games last year. Contreras, that guy is old, he's done. He's 48, really. Sure he was pretty awesome when he was like 46, but he's 48 now. Rogers is only 43.

what the hell is this about?

I agree in general, but our farm system was pretty bad before this deal. Gillick dealt Gio for one year of a broken-down Freddy. That doesn't exactly scream "Future stud!" I don't recall DLS being projected to be a super-stud either. Having Sweeney would've been nice, but we're not lacking outfielders at this point.

Outside of losing Garland, I think that Kenny's done a halfway decent job of doing what he said he was going to: Re-tooling this team for one more shot at the playoffs... especially considering that he had no top-tier prospects to deal. He's improved the team significantly at SS, in the outfield, and we have a legitimate setup man now. I'm not sure that the Sox are a playoff-caliber team right now, but they look a hell of a lot better offensively than last year. And I'm not sure that the 'pen could be any worse.

And if things don't work out this season, KW deals Paulie and Cabrera at the deadline for prospects and the Sox get a jump-start on their rebuilding. Sounds like a win-win to me.

str8 sense

where were u earlier today?

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 4, 2008 -> 01:56 AM)
you know nick swisher and buehrle are going to go together like peanut butter and jelly. just what our clubhouse needed...

You've got to think that the clubhouse is going to be a lot looser and much funner this year. You've already got guys like Buehrle and Pierzynski, and now you add the Aaron Rowand-esque personality of Nick Swisher. And on top of that, I read that Fields and Quentin were good friends. And of course you got Papa Thome, the great story teller. If Ramirez makes the roster, then Contreras has got a new friend, and Bobby Jenks is a bit of a personality himself.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:02 PM)
Are we talking about at the deadline? That's what I thought was the time frame. I think Cabrera could get a prospect like Gio now, but at the deadline at best we'd get a couple of Sweeneys. Garland would fetch more at the deadline purely due to everyone looking for pitching while there will only be a select few teams looking for a SS.

Deep down I wouldn't be shocked if the Sox are out at the deadline that the ANgels end up a calling and reacquire OC for prospects. You may be right, you may not be, but while this past trade deadline teams were a bit more careful when it came to giving up prospects but no one can say that will be the case this deadline. Hell, there are times that a player fetches more at the deadline than he would the off-season before simply because you end up having more teams bidding on a player at one time.

Say Swisher was openly on the market, you can bet your ass the A's would end up getting more for him than they did today. In fact, I am openly saying that year from now if the Sox wanted to put him on the market they could do better than what the Sox gave up.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
We're getting into the semantics of what an A prospect is, but no, I don't think Jon Garland would net the Sox an A prospect. I consider an A prospect to be one of the top 20 (or so -- this is admittedly a rather arbitrary number) prospects in all of baseball -- could Garland have netted a Justin Upton, a Phillip Hughes, a Clay Buccholz? I'm sorry, but there's no way Garland could net someone like that.

And now we're talking about dealing a player at the deadline. So some team is going to give up six years of an A prospect for two months of Orlando Cabrera? Even if I am underselling Cabrera a bit, there's not a snowball's chance in hell the Sox get an A prospect for two months of The OC.

I consider an A prospect a top 50 prospect. No, he couldn't get a Juston Upton, Phillip Hughes or Clay Bucholtz but last I looked those are top 10 prospects. I've never said Jon would get you the best prospect in all of baseball of one of the best prospects in all of baseball.

However, he could get one top 50 and one top 150 prospect. That doesn't necessarily mean Kenny goes after that as we've all seen how he identifies guys he likes and than gets those guys, not necessarily who BA says are the best in a system (whether right or wrong it is his mo).

Here's one thing to take into play. Think about what Bureau has said about DSL. The Sox brass must all feel similarly about him as a reliever and if that is what the people close in the org are telling Kenny, don't you think he considers it a no brainer to move a guy that they think is a top notch set up guy (still 3 years away) if it means getting an all star outfielder (and I think Swish will be a perennial all star in Chicago, but I think very very highly of him). I think people underestimate how much your offense takes a hit from playing in Oaktown.

Really if we are going to cringe about giving anyone up it should probably be Sweeney (based on the Sox selling low on him) or Gio (since he is more likely to help now and has 3 solid pitches which makes him more projectable in the rotations). I've long said the thing that scares the hell out of me is the Sox rotation, but it was awful last year and I won't deny that Danks/Floyd have talent (afterall they were both at one point A prospects basically by your definition..ie top 20 guys).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:03 PM)
We're getting into the semantics of what an A prospect is, but no, I don't think Jon Garland would net the Sox an A prospect. I consider an A prospect to be one of the top 20 (or so -- this is admittedly a rather arbitrary number) prospects in all of baseball -- could Garland have netted a Justin Upton, a Phillip Hughes, a Clay Buccholz? I'm sorry, but there's no way Garland could net someone like that.

And now we're talking about dealing a player at the deadline. So some team is going to give up six years of an A prospect for two months of Orlando Cabrera? Even if I am underselling Cabrera a bit, there's not a snowball's chance in hell the Sox get an A prospect for two months of The OC.

You underestimate that if at the deadline you get a run on deals that you end up having teams overpay. The past two seasons there really hasn't been a flurry of action but years past there would be massive deals with teams trying to one-up one another which led to teams drastically overpaying. There is no guarantee that it happens again ,but I wouldn't be shocked if a team or two end up getting a little lose with there prospects, especially if they haven't had a shot at a world series in some time (I think Detroit will be willing, Cleveland will as well, given the fact that CC will be due for a fat contract and this may be there best chance at the series; Anaheim is also feeling major heat for falling short and will be willing to make a splash, same with the Dodgers if they are in it and you can bet your butt the Cubs if they are in it will be willing to make moves). So bottom line, I could see this deadline being one where you have a number of teams willing to give up stuff for a commodity and when you get multiple suitors the price will sore.

Again I'm dealing in hypotheticals and you guys may be completely right. Either way I know worse case (for the most part, unless OC puts up a Uribe like season) the Sox have 2 #1 picks.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 06:55 PM)
Does he really believe that this is a championship level team?

I did see a quote from Beane that I liked, basically said he knew the writing was on the wall and that they could either continue to be mediocre or retool and try to win it all a year or two from now. I fear there is a chance (and a decent one) that we end up wishing Kenny did that (but I've long said Kenny potcommitted himself this past July and at this point he only has one option and I'm just hoping he is kind of semi planning on going for it, but with a major plan B in mind that will help him retool for 09). And the good part is, technically, Linebrink/Quentin/Swisher/Richar (all of the recent moves) all can factor into 09 and beyond.

First post; take it easy on me:

I love the trade. I do not like getting rid of DLS but that being said, I have only seen a few comments, here, or on SSS or anywhere, that talk about signing Sweaty Freddy to bolster the rotation. Also, I am quite sure that in the somewhat likely event of a complete collapse or a complete Det. or Clev. runaway, there is no reason to believe we cannot replenish the stock of potential Sox in the minor leagues. Especially when Swish should give a good return on our investment in the Cell's close confines if we need to trade him. In addition, name the last time a team on either side of town had a quality center fielder (if that's where Swisher plays) signed for 5 years. Lance Johnson?

I agree, we need to bolster the rotation and would love to see another addition to the bullpen. However, we are improved for 2 years, hopefully. I am more excited today for April than I was yesterday. And, we still have 2 trading chips, Crede and Uribe, who can get us something.

Besides, is here anyone else but me and buddy from Detroit who doesn't think the Tigers are 2 injuries away from being the 2007 Sox? They already covered the 2006 Sox. At least we won one.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:10 PM)
you are being waaay too tough on the White Sox. Chicago is bound to win 83-87 games this year. what will the future hold? we shall see.

The Sox were better than the win total from last season (injuries and just many seasons out of players that were below there career norms) and that was before they made additions which improved there team (Linebrink/Cabrera/Swisher are all massive upgrades over the players they are replacing just as you can make a case that Quentin is talent wise a major upgrade over the player he is replacing). Factor that in and if they get production out of 4 of there 5 pitching spots and I'd consider them a definate wild card contender (I don't know if I'd call them a World Series Contender, but if you are in competition you can always find a way to make a trade to get you an extra piece).

Stranger things have happened and I'm not about to throw down a ton of money but I can envision ways that the Sox make the playoffs and even win the division. The odds aren't in favor of it happening but I know that the players in play do have the talent to do what is necessary, its just a matter of certain guys reaching there talent much sooner than expected (plus the fact that often times guys never reach there ceiling/talent levels).

QUOTE(DonnyDevito @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:40 PM)
you're right about one thing. if JC shows up, forget about it! let's be real. westbrook and verlander aren't that good. they won't repeat what they did last season. bondy has mental issues often giving up 3 to 4 runs in the 1st inning of every start. the tigers wish they had our pen at this point. zumaya isn't anything special post injury and grilli is just a running joke. i think our pitching is right there with the indians and tigers. especially given linebrink's addition. many aren't expecting much from him but if he shows up with JC, we're in the postseason. i don't think there will be a finer setup-closer duo in the central than linebrink-jenks.

Verlander is a f***ing stud.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:20 PM)
No I'm being serious here.

It was his 1st full season in the minors, and his K/9 ratios indicate he's a pretty dang good prospect.

There's not many other prospects out there who have the FB / Slider combo that he has.

I think you're seriously underrating him only because

1 - He doesn't have a good 3rd pitch yet (which can be developed) and;

2 - He only reached high A ball at the end of 2007.

On the other hand he is in A ball, only has two good pitches, and was 21 at A ball (which isn't necesarrily young). I love the guy to death but there are a great number of pitchers with superior upside in baseball. He was our best option (along with Gio) but by all means he doesn't rank in the top 10 in baseball, the Sox don't have anyone in that category and if they did it would be if Aaron Poreda proved all the doubters wrong and developed great secondary stuff and didn't have his arm fall off.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:46 PM)
Honestly, I think Swisher may end up being the most popular player on the Sox and will be a all star caliber player for a few seasons at least. He's pretty damn good.

I completely agree. I think he joins Buehrle and Paulie as the faces as the franchise and definitely gives the Sox a bat to replace Thome in a year (if Thome is gone) or Paulie/Dye (if they opt to trade them). Either way the Sox have the early makings of a potential 3-4-5 of the future with Swish/Quentin/Fields.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
OK, now with a bit of research, prospects (pitching) that are better than DLS:

Hughes, Chamberlain, Cueto, Bailey, Kershaw, Carrasco, Morales, Price, Porcello, Volstad, Bucholz, both Millers, McGee, Gio, Elbert...?

Adenhart, Kennedy, Scherzer