White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
I know when he was in the minors a lot of people thought he'd play center. That said, he's a bigger guy so I don't think he'd have the range for CF. Quentin would be more likely to play CF, imo. This move gives the Sox a huge OBP guy to have near the top of the order and gets them another young position player (although they obviously gave up a couple of there finest prospects).

My question is does this make the Sox consider moving one of there veteran bats.

How do they not? Swisher fits in the 3-4-5 somewhere, and they have Dye-Thome-Konerko there... I think Pauly has a foot out the door now and hopefully we see him on the Angels for a good return soon.

Below is the official press release. This is the first benefit of the new found relationship between the TCS Network and CS Weekly as we were able to get the scoop on this before the major media outlets.

CHICAGO – The Chicago White Sox have acquired switch-hitting outfielder Nick Swisher from the Oakland Athletics in exchange for three minor league players, pitcher Gio Gonzalez, pitcher Fautino De Los Santos and outfielder Ryan Sweeney. The trade was announced Thursday afternoon by Ken Williams, White Sox general manager and senior vice president.

Swisher, 27, batted .262 (141-539) with 22 home runs and 78 RBI in 150 games for the Athletics in 2007, setting career-bests for batting average, on-base percentage (.381), walks (100), doubles (36) and stolen bases (three).

“Nick is a quality switch hitter who consistently gets on base, hits for power and drives in runs,” Williams said. “He gives Ozzie Guillen offensive flexibility with his ability to hit in a number of spots up and down the batting order, and his athleticism allows him to play any outfield position or first base. Nick brings to the ballpark a mix of hard-nosed play, energy and a commitment to winning, and he brings it each and every day. He’s a great addition to our team and clubhouse.”

The 6-foot, 215-pound Swisher is signed through the 2011 season with a club option for 2012.

Swisher ranked sixth in the American League in walks in 2007 and was seventh in pitches seen per plate appearance (4.25). His .458 on-base percentage against left-handed pitchers ranked third in the league, and he batted .291 against left-handed pitching. Swisher’s 22 home runs were second-highest in the AL for switch hitters, and he has now topped 20 home runs in three consecutive seasons.

Swisher’s father, Steve, was selected by the White Sox in the first round of the 1973 draft and spent nine seasons in the major leagues as a catcher with the Cubs (1974-77), St. Louis (19878-80) and San Diego (1981-82).

Over four seasons with the Athletics (2004-07), Swisher batted .251 (406-1,617) with a .361 on-base percentage, 80 home runs and 255 RBI. He set career highs with 35 home runs and 95 RBI in 2006, and his batting average and walk totals both have risen each of the past two seasons. His 197 combined walks in 2006-07 rank fourth in the AL. Swisher played all three outfield positions and first base with Oakland, appearing in a career-high 57 games in center field in 2007.

Gonzalez, 22, went 9-7 with a 3.18 ERA in 27 games (all starts) at Class AA Birmingham in 2007. Over four minor-league seasons, the left-hander has gone 31-28 with a 3.49 ERA (191 ER/492.1 IP). Originally drafted by the White Sox in 2004, Gonzalez was included in a trade with Philadelphia for Jim Thome in November 2005. He was traded back to the White Sox in a deal involving Freddy Garcia in December 2006.

De Los Santos, 21, was a combined 10-5 with a 2.65 ERA in 26 games (20 starts) at Class A Kannapolis and Class A Winston-Salem in 2007.

Sweeney, 22, batted .270 with 10 home runs and 47 RBI in 105 games at Class AAA Charlotte in 2007. The left-handed hitter also batted .200 (9-45) with one home run and five RBI in 15 games with the White Sox last season. In five minor-league seasons, Sweeney is a career .289 (547-1,891) hitter with 33 home runs and 239 RBI. He has hit .213 (17-80) with one home run and 10 RBI in 33 major-league games with the Sox (2006-07)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:09 PM)
I know when he was in the minors a lot of people thought he'd play center. That said, he's a bigger guy so I don't think he'd have the range for CF. Quentin would be more likely to play CF, imo. This move gives the Sox a huge OBP guy to have near the top of the order and gets them another young position player (although they obviously gave up a couple of there finest prospects).

My question is does this make the Sox consider moving one of there veteran bats.

So, who bats leadoff then, Swisher ?

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:12 AM)
How do they not? Swisher fits in the 3-4-5 somewhere, and they have Dye-Thome-Konerko there... I think Pauly has a foot out the door now and hopefully we see him on the Angels for a good return soon.

Swish could also be a stud #2 hitter. It looks to me like the Sox are taking the approach that they will outslug the rest of baseball or try to while they try to put together some semblance of a back of the rotation, which will hopefully allow the young pitchers like Floyd/Danks to develop.

One of Konerko, Dye or Thome HAVE to go, or the Quentin trade looks extremely foolish -- neither Quentin nor Swisher are CFers. Swisher playing CF last year was more out of necessity, as I'm pretty sure Kotsay had some nagging injuries.

Cripes... we're going for it in 2008. This is f***ing ridiculous.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
And we're still in no position to compete for anything. I like Swisher but to give up your 3 best prospects for him with the position that our franchise is in, is just bad imo. I hate this.

Swisher is only 27. He's a great offensive player, and solves the centerfield problem. Sure, it sucks seeing Gio go, but Swisher is a better player than Sweeney and DLS is still miles away from producing in the major league level.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
One of Konerko, Dye or Thome HAVE to go, or the Quentin trade looks extremely foolish -- neither Quentin nor Swisher are CFers. Swisher playing CF last year was more out of necessity, as I'm pretty sure Kotsay had some nagging injuries.

At least we'll have something to talk about.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)

I've been wondering since they made the Quentin trade, given his speed and athleticism... maybe they want Quentin in CF?

I'm not sure about this trade. I mean, I love having Swisher on the team, but Gio AND DLS is a lot to give up. Needs to settle in.

Steve,

You could keep Dye, Thome, Konerko for this year pretty easily.

The question is how would you set the line up with those 3 and Swisher. Because of Swishers patience and the fact hes a switch hitter, I some what feel the Sox may try him in the 2 hole with O-Cab leading off.

1. O-Cab

2. Swisher

3. Thome

4. Konerko

5. Dye

6. Fields

7. AJP

8. Quentin

9. Richar

You sacrifice a little speed the first time through the order, but after that you have Richar at 9 so should he get on O-cab becomes the 2 and it sets up the offense nicely.

The question now is what do with Crede, and my guess is trading him for pitching spects.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
And we're still in no position to compete for anything. I like Swisher but to give up your 3 best prospects for him with the position that our franchise is in, is just bad imo. I hate this.

3 best prospects for a guy whom you have control through 2012 (given his option). This is the exact type of move I love. Quentin/Swisher are two long term outfielders to go with Josh Fields and Danny Richar. I agree with you about maybe not being able to compete but this move really allows the Sox to potentially make another move or two and given the cost, I think this is great value for one Nick Swisher (DSL is 3 f***ing years away....so much can happen than that I have no problem selling him at a high now; Sweeney is probably the guy I will miss the most because we may be selling him low; Gio is being sold high and the one thing that sucks is that he was close to being MLB ready).

This may also be indicative of the fact that Kenny thinks pretty highly of Lance Broadway and Jack Egbert. Honestly, I can't blame Kenny from moving a couple prospects. Sweeney was being replaced by Quentin so basically when you really think about it, you could make a case that it was Chris Carter/DSL/Sweeney/Gio for Quentin/Swisher.

Also better yet, the Sox didn't financially f*** themselves or give up 2 draft picks like they could have with a massive signing of Hunter or Fukodome. In fact, couldn't you make a case that Fukodome at his peak would be lucky to be as productive as Swisher already has been at the major league level.

I hate giving up prospects, but god damn, I'm in love with this move in the sake of the Sox getting what I consider fair value on a young stud in baseball. The only thing is, I will admit, I don't necessarily think it makes them a contender.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:16 PM)
Swisher is only 27. He's a great offensive player, and solves the centerfield problem. Sure, it sucks seeing Gio go, but Swisher is a better player than Sweeney and DLS is still miles away from producing in the major league level.

And this team is still miles away from competing this season. If Swisher was the last piece for this team to be a contender then I'd be all for this. We're still miles behind Cleveland and Detroit and now we have absolutely nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing left in the system.

Konerko better be gone within the next few days.