White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:29 PM)
I must be the only one who thinks the Sox underpaid. Whether it makes us a contender or not, I don't know, but I think the Sox could turn around a year from now and get more for Swisher than they gave up. That is the definition of a good trade to me.

3 pretty high rated prospects for just about any player is alot. He overpaid right now, with the position the team is in, but I like this deal because it has such a high upside. Swisher could be a huge centerpiece for this team for a long time.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two things to add although they are more just FYI and probably shouldn't affect whether the trade was good for us or not but as fans you probably want to know these things: 1. THere were strong whispers about Swisher's body a few years ago. Take that for what its worth. 2. I do know that one baseball expert was asked off the record who the biggest asshole is in the major leagues and he said Nick Swisher. Hope he's at soxfest!

I like Swisher a lot, but you can't be giving up your top pitching prospects when we have 3 huge questions marks in the starting rotation. I mean, I hate to say this, but I think we all pretty much know that Contreras and Floyd are both utter garbage. Factor in Vazquez's inconsistency and what is left? One proven stud in Buehrle and one promising guy in Danks. Seems to me that KW has gone from stockpiling some nice pitching depth (a must, considering how much of a crapshoot pitchers can be) to having no depth at all, in just one year. This is a scary trade. And again, I like Swisher a lot.

Edited by FlaCWS

For those of you b****ing and complaining about how KW keeps making moves that still dont make us contendors, i dont know what you expect him to do. We have gotten incredibly younger over the last year. Bringing in Richar, Quentin, Ramirez, Swisher, and Fields, Danks, and Floyd being on the big league roster. All of which are making under $500,000/year. KW has done a good job at bringing in younger kids that he feels can compete at the major league level. if that means dealing with some top talent, then i'm ok with that.

We may not have much of a farm system anymore, but at least we still dont look like the SF Giants and we are starting to look like a team that i'm actually going to want to pay to go see again!

How did the White Sox trade their future?

Even the most optimistic White Sox fan could really only believe that of the three spects traded, only 1 likely has a chance to be an All-Star or better caliber player.

So we traded 3 younger unproven guys for 1 young proven player.

How does that hurt the future?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:31 PM)
I have two things to add although they are more just FYI and probably shouldn't affect whether the trade was good for us or not but as fans you probably want to know these things: 1. THere were strong whispers about Swisher's body a few years ago. Take that for what its worth. 2. I do know that one baseball expert was asked off the record who the biggest asshole is in the major leagues and he said Nick Swisher. Hope he's at soxfest!

I've heard rumors about many of the A's players being on PEDs. At least Swisher showed last year he can do well with the new testing in place.

This is going to shock you guys, but I LOVE this deal. Swisher is exactly what we need (and all things consider, I'd MUCH MUCH rather have him than Rowand or Hunter or even Andruw Jones right now). Giving up Sweeney, whatever I don't care. Giving up DLS and Gio obviously kills whatever was left of our farm system, and they are nice prospects, but neither of them is a sure thing. Gio isn't getting any taller and has spent 2 straight years in double A, and DLS is still a few years away. Plus we have Swish under control for a few more years (through 2011 or 2012 right?) and on the cheap IIRC. I got to give Kenny credit, I didn't see this one coming but it's pretty good. Oh, and what is with Oakland and our farm system, they LOVE our young guys.

Just because they are 3 of our top prospects, that doesn't mean they are good... what are you people talking about!?!?

Everyone here had given up on Ryan Sweeney, now he's a prospect that it hurts to trade? DLS is a bullpen bound player who won't arrive for 3 seasons, and Gio we all knew was trade-bait.

Swisher will be a monster in the Cell.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:32 PM)
I like Swisher a lot, but you can't be giving up your top pitching prospects when we have 3 huge questions marks in the starting rotation. I mean, I hate to say this, but I think we all pretty much know that Contreras and Floyd are both utter garbage. Factor in Vazquez's inconsistency and what is left? One proven stud in Buehrle and one promising guy in Danks. Seems to me that KW has gone from stockpiling some nice pitching depth (a must, considering how much of a crapshoot pitchers can be) to having no depth at all, in just one year. This is a scary trade. And again, I like Swisher a lot.

There's still Masset, Egbert, Broadway, and Sisco that might be able to start. Gio, as much as I love him, hasn't pitched in a band box. DLS is still young and you never know what might happen between A ball and the majors. Sweeney, well, we hardly knew ye, but maybe a change of scenery will do you good, although I put his career around a Jeremy Reed type. Maybe with a little more staying power.

Swisher is going to be fun to watch.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)
Alright, I'm going to stop b****ing about the deal cause I hate to be that guy, so I'll change the subject a bit: Anybody know how good Swish is in cf?

I would lead Swish off, and then have Ocab hit second. It gets Ozzie his lefty, righty, lefty, righty mix he loves so much.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
Swisher played nearly 60 games in CF last year....I'm sure that KW made this move with the intent on him playing CF for the Sox. Owens will probably get some playing time in LF, with Quentin getting the majority of the starts.

That makes sense. Owens as a 4th OF (probably what he needs to be anyway), playing some CF and LF off the bench and pinch-running. Ramirez to back up Richar at 2B and maybe get some time in the OF as well.

So, the bench has (barring trades):

Owens (LF, CF)

Ramirez (2B, CF, RF)

Hall ©

Uribe (SS, 3B)????

????

Crede will be gone. And Uribe might be too. So, who is your backup for the left side of the infield? Uribe might stick around and be that guy for SS and 3B. That still leaves one more bench spot, most likely a lefty-hitting guy who can play corner IF... any ideas? Could the team go with just those 4 on the bench? Or maybe Crede stays too, and you get him part time at 3B, with Fields/Crede also relieving Thome at DH and PK at 1B?

i think some people here might be overvaluing DLS and Gio, and forgetting what kind of numbers swisher is MOST LIKELY going to put up in the cell in 2008

.275 avg~ with an OPS of around .875-.900

keep in mind how absolutely massive the colluseum is compared to our park, and then do a little adjustment to his numbers. he'll be a stud here, i'd put money on it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
That makes sense. Owens as a 4th OF (probably what he needs to be anyway), playing some CF and LF off the bench and pinch-running. Ramirez to back up Richar at 2B and maybe get some time in the OF as well.

Owens (LF, CF)

Ramirez (2B, CF, RF)

Hall ©

Uribe (SS, 3B)????

????

Crede will be gone. And Uribe might be too. So, who is your backup for the left side of the infield? Uribe might stick around and be that guy for SS and 3B. That still leaves one more bench spot, most likely a lefty-hitting guy who can play corner IF... any ideas? Could the team go with just those 4 on the bench? Or maybe Crede stays too, and you get him part time at 3B, with Fields/Crede also relieving Thome at DH and PK at 1B?

Pablo.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)

Owens (LF, CF)

Ramirez (2B, CF, RF)

Hall ©

Uribe (SS, 3B)????

????

Pablo and I thought Ramirez played SS also.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)

Owens (LF, CF)

Ramirez (2B, CF, RF)

Hall ©

Uribe (SS, 3B)????

????

gotta put ozuna in there