White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Pablo.

Oh crap!!!! I knew I missed someone. :lolhitting

So with Ozuna, the bench is full with Uribe OR Crede staying, but not both. And you lack a true 1B in that mix, but I'd imagine someone could pick that up (at which point they'll tear a ligament and Ozzie will be made a pariah).

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
How, by getting a guy who is going to be a very good baseball player for the next 4 years? By getting a guy who potentially allows the Sox to have a couple good young players in the field for the next couple years. The Sox didn't have the guys to stick around and rebuild. The dumbest thing the Sox could do is sit around and let there prospects develop cause bottom line, they have s*** in the farm system for the most part.

Kenny is agressive and has gotten himself a group of 4 young major league core players (Fields/Quentin/Richar/Swisher). Obviously some are more proven than others in that group, but he still has a group of Egbert/Broadway/Floyd/Danks in terms of pitching prospects and those guys will be slotted behind Buehrle/Javy who are slated to be here for a while. Plus you have Jose (whether I like it or not he's here). So the Sox had an assload of pitching prospects who are all ready to go now and keeping them in the minors for an extended period of time would have been detrimental. So Kenny probably graded them all out, decided which ones had more value (and if they had a lot more value while other prospects with less value graded out similarly in his mind) he decided it would be best to move one or two of those guys.

I also think he now has the ability to make some other moves that I would love to see. I don't know if he has the balls to do it, but I think the addition of a guy like Swisher allows you to potentially swing a Konerko deal (cause Swisher could very well be the new offensive face of the franchise as he's a very loved player in Oakland and I guarantee you the city of Chicago will take to him).

That's all fine and dandy, but what Rowand is saying -- and rightfully so -- is that the wins that Swisher is adding to this team isn't taking us from being a contender to a top-of-the-AL team -- it takes us from being a mediocre team to being an average team.

Look at our roster and compare it to Detroit, Cleveland, Anahiem, New York and Boston. We're still MILES behind each and every one of those clubs. And we have no farm system.

I agree that we have the making of a nice, youngish core. But we need our minor league system to supplement that, and now there's nothing down there that looks like it'll be able to do that. Broadway? Give me a break. One start and now he's comparable to Gio? Shelby looks nice, but when he's your top prospect, you're in an assload of trouble.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)

So with Ozuna, the bench is full with Uribe OR Crede staying, but not both. And you lack a true 1B in that mix, but I'd imagine someone could pick that up (at which point they'll tear a ligament and Ozzie will be made a pariah).

swisher can play 1st too when paulie needs a day off

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)

Swisher is your backup 1B with Owens, Pablo or whoever else is first off the bench for the OF.

Well the only legitimate lead off options the Sox have in the starting line up as of right now are Richar and O-Cab.

You are not going to put Swisher with a slugging of 60 points higher ahead of Cabrera. Not to mention O-Cab stole 20+ bases the last 2 seasons, and has put up over .280 ba and .330 obp in both seasons.

As a comparison the year the Sox won the WS Pods was 290 .351

So O-Cab cant lead off over a measly .01 obp?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)

You can use Swish at first. And barring injury, Kong has played a crap load of games every year anyways.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
That's all fine and dandy, but what Rowand is saying -- and rightfully so -- is that the wins that Swisher is adding to this team isn't taking us from being a contender to a top-of-the-AL team -- it takes us from being a mediocre team to being an average team.

Look at our roster and compare it to Detroit, Cleveland, Anahiem, New York and Boston. We're still MILES behind each and every one of those clubs. And we have no farm system.

I agree that we have the making of a nice, youngish core. But we need our minor league system to supplement that, and now there's nothing down there that looks like it'll be able to do that. Broadway? Give me a break. One start and now he's comparable to Gio? Shelby looks nice, but when he's your top prospect, you're in an assload of trouble.

White Sox Spring Training 2005 says hello.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Just because they are 3 of our top prospects, that doesn't mean they are good... what are you people talking about!?!?

Everyone here had given up on Ryan Sweeney, now he's a prospect that it hurts to trade? DLS is a bullpen bound player who won't arrive for 3 seasons, and Gio we all knew was trade-bait.

Swisher will be a monster in the Cell.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but agreed 100 percent on all counts.

The losses of Gio, Sweeney aren't that big a deal if that's all it took to get Swisher.

However, I have a feeling that DLS will be a stud, and Billy Beane knows it. This trade will be regarded as a DISASTER for the Sox in a few years and MAYBE gets us to 78-82 wins.

Get used to 4th place.

I think you'll see Swish bat 2nd with OCab leading off, at least to start the season, something like:

Cabrera

Swish

Thome

PK

Dye

AJ

Fields

Quentin

Richar

I got to admit that lineup looks much better than last years, the rotation still is just ugly at this point.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:05 PM)
It is official.....Gio/DSL/Sweeney for Nick Swisher

So let me get this straight. The very same people that applauded KW for not "draining the farm system to get MCabrera, now are thrilled the White Sox get Nick Swisher for these 3? I thought Quentin was the second coming in LF?

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
I have a feeling Nick Swisher will fit in with the Sox south side fans.

Yeah, he's going to be a beloved figure on this team by the fans, especially if his numbers are where they should be playing 81 games in our park. The dude is a freaking nut case, he's like a much more talented version of A.J.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
We have a Rick Porcello? Can you point him out to me?

Wait till we draft the fire and passion part II Jordan Danks with a huge reach at number 8 because Kenny wanted a Jordan Danks, not a guy like Jordan Danks....the Jordan Danks.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
So let me get this straight. The very same people that applauded KW for not "draining the farm system to get MCabrera, now are thrilled the White Sox get Nick Swisher for these 3? I thought Quentin was the second coming in LF?

The Sox made this trade with the intent on putting Swisher in CF.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)

I get the feeling that Swisher is intended for CF.

Well I think there is a Death valley between Swisher and Miggy Cabrera in terms of who they are. Cabrera is 3 years younger and is a far better hitter. That said, most people shouldn't hammer Kenny for not getting Cabrera because he couldn't get cabrera. They didn't want the White Sox Pu Pu platter.