White Sox Acquire Nick Swisher from Athletics

Steve9347

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:44 PM)
I think you'll see Swish bat 2nd with OCab leading off, at least to start the season, something like:

Cabrera

Swish

Thome

PK

Dye

AJ

Fields

Quentin

Richar

I got to admit that lineup looks much better than last years, the rotation still is just ugly at this point.

Last year=Pitching and hitting sucked.

This year=Pitching sucks.

We still aren't a team that's going to the playoffs, but at least we are improved to the point where we can go around .500 and finish in 3rd. The problem just remains we have no farm system, that is KW's undoing.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
People keep on saying that, but a lot and I do mean a lot of people here thought the Sox were a legit contender. This year, not so much.

A lot? Almost no publications picked the Sox to go post-season.

Now on here, I wasn't around, so I don't know. Were Soxtalkers saying the 2005 team was post-season bound?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
People keep on saying that, but a lot and I do mean a lot of people here thought the Sox were a legit contender. This year, not so much.

I really didn't see it necessary to respond to that post. On top of what you said, the competition was nowhere near as good. Minnesota was seen as our main competition (2005), and they weren't really a great team. Cleveland was a young team coming into it's own and Detroit was weak. The same goes for Boston, Anahiem and New York -- the quality of the AL has improved DRASTICALLY since 2005.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
A lot? Almost no publications picked the Sox to go post-season.

Now on here, I wasn't around, so I don't know. Were Soxtalkers saying the 2005 team was post-season bound?

Ya, I meant around here. The masses were pretty excited about that team in 05 on this site, a lot of people thought that team was going to contend.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
It seems pretty clear to me that Fields is going to go for a young pitcher. I think that is the next move.

And what, Crede at 3B for one year then gone? I don't think so. I think its more likely Crede goes for spects. And if they do make a move for a younger pitcher, its Crede and one of Quentin/Ramirez that leaves, along with something else.

White Sox acquired outfielder Nick Swisher from the Athletics for LHP Gio Gonzalez, outfielder Ryan Sweeney and RHP Fautino De Los Santos.

It's going to be interesting to see how the White Sox try to fit these pieces together. If they're willing to use Swisher in center field, they're improving their lineup immensely with the deal, though it's at a steep cost in the team's top two pitching prospects and the still promising Sweeney. If they're doing it with the idea of using Swisher in left field, leaving no room for Carlos Quentin, then the deal could prove to be a major bust. We're guessing they'll pencil him into center for now but continue to look for alternatives. Either way, Swisher gets a nice upgrade in fantasy value with the switch to the AL's best home run park. He'll be a threat to hit 35-40, especially if the White Sox are smart enough to hit him second. Jan. 3 - 2:31 pm et

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:47 PM)
We still aren't a team that's going to the playoffs, but at least we are improved to the point where we can go around .500 and finish in 3rd. The problem just remains we have no farm system, that is KW's undoing.

Which does what for us exactly?

Also, some rumblings--that Fathom you might be talking about--are that Fautino may have taken performance enhancers. So, we will see how this plays out. But, for the short term I love this move. Sweeney might have been solid in the future, but not for awhile. Gio hurts because he was a close to being MLB-ready, but Fautino was still a couple years away. Has any Sox pitching prospect ever bitten us in the butt?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
It looks to me like the Sox are taking the approach that they will outslug the rest of baseball.

outwalk the rest of baseball too. Swisher and Thome is 200 walks. Add in Quentin and Konerko and the rest...

As usual.....a trade goes through and this board is 50-50 on it. Either KW is a moron or a genius. Personally....I like the trade and think that if Swish could hit 20-30 in the pitcher's park in Oakland he should be able to hit more than a few at the Cell.

If my memory serves, he can play center and to be honest......he's only been in the league for 3 full years. His average has gone up every year,his OBP has gone up every year, slg has been in middle to upper .400's

What I really wonder is if Swish goes out next year and hits .260 with 30 HR and 90 RBI's how long will it take Jay Moron-atti to write how KW got duped by the great Billy Beane again.

Edited by juddling

I see I'm one of the few 'negative' ones in this thread. I don't hate this trade, FWIW, just not a huge fan of it. I'll like it more if I find out Swisher can play an average CF defensively -- I haven't read anything that says he is, though, other than people saying he played 60 games there last year. If my 'guess' (because that's what it is, a guess) is correct -- that Swish was out there due to necessity and nothing else -- then we now have three corner OFers (Quentin, Dye, Swisher) and two third basemen.

The move I'd love to see at this point would be Konerko for a CFer or a good young back-of-the-rotation starter (not as the centerpieces, mind you, but as part of a package) with a big huge (defensive) rotation then occuring.

Big fan of this trade. I don't know the guy, but my sister used to go to school with him and my brother played football with Swisher's brother, so I've always followed his progress since he was drafted out of OSU. Really happy to have him on the Sox! My new favorite player.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 01:51 PM)
I'll ask again but does anyone know how good of a cf Swish is? I honestly don't recall see him playing center, so I'm very curious.

Stats, FWIW...

FPct: .986 (would be around 15th of 18 qualified CF)

RF: 2.62 (would be around 12th of same)

ZR: .836 (would be around 17th of same)

Had 1 OF assist

Not looking great statistically. But that may not be a great measure, with his limited time there.

IMPORTANT NOTE: He had barely ever played CF before 2007 (3 innings TOTAL at major league level), so he was in learning mode. If he can learn...