204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Swisher trade?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Swisher we maybe beat out the Royals and Twins for 3rd place... but our rotation and bullpen suck, and our offense is just filled with power hitters who K a lot (but we did add a little extra OBP!!!!!!!)

If we actually had a chance at competing, I would like this trade, as I think Swisher is a good player... but we just f***ed our selves up big time for the future as we have no farm system and don't have any future replacement for Konerko or Thome.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 08:42 PM)
With Swisher we maybe beat out the Royals and Twins for 3rd place... but our rotation and bullpen suck, and our offense is just filled with power hitters who K a lot (but we did add a little extra OBP!!!!!!!)

If we actually had a chance at competing, I would like this trade, as I think Swisher is a good player... but we just f***ed our selves up big time for the future as we have no farm system and don't have any future replacement for Konerko or Thome.

miggy cabrera k'd 127 times last year...HE SUCKS

and swisher gets on an incredible obp too, so who cares if he strikes out, like the difference between striking out and weakly grounding to 1b like erstad is much worse. He's got a good eye, k's are bad when they have bad batting eye's and are swinging outta the k zone. His k's are not a concern.

KW doesn't know which direction to go. Rebuild or play for this season?

What's the point of developing guys if you never use them?

When you lose 90+ games with vets who are past their prime and you have a bloated payroll; the last thing you do is trade your top 2 mlb-potential arms for a guy who - granted, is a good player - is not a solution to your age/payroll problems.

He should have dumped Contreras, Dye, Konerko and Thome and rebuilt.

I can handle a future of 3 or 4 years of 90 losses if you are making a considered effort to rebuild, but KW is not.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)

When you lose 90+ games with vets who are past their prime and you have a bloated payroll; the last thing you do is trade your top 2 mlb-potential arms for a guy who - granted, is a good player - is not a solution to your age/payroll problems.

I can handle a future of 3 or 4 years of 90 losses if you are making a considered effort to rebuild, but KW is not.

DING DING DING!

... and that is why I voted no.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)

agreed.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
Like every trade, you can't grade it right away.

I think the line up will be much better this year.

Well, clearly this makes the team significantly better the next year, maybe the next 2. You'd have to be crazy to take Owens and a hopefully .350 OBP over Swisher and nearly .400 in that regard if you're looking at a team of boppers, which is what we had even before this deal.

My big question is DLS. In my head, I had hoped he could turn into a top of the rotation, ace type guy. If 3 years down the road he's that kind of guy for Oakland, winning 18-20 games, then this will be looked back on as a bad trade. Kind of like how people look at the Young deal...at the time you sort of think ok, Young wouldn't help us this year and we have other guys to fill that role, but then you start seeing what Young is turning into and then hindsight just makes it hurt. That's my worry in this deal.

I still don't get what kind of team we're supposed to have.

It seems like we have a patchwork of slugging big names among no-name rookies or so-so, inconsistent players (Uribe). Sounds like... 2004.

I like Swisher, but I agree with the guys up above that if you're going to rebuild, rebuild. But bringing us up to third place in the Central will be cold comfort. If you're going to compete ASAP you need to throw Boston-like dollars around, which we don't have.

So...

Plus I miss the smaller-ball 2005 philosophy. I'm tired of home runs. I'd rather see a bunt at this point. Not that we have anybody who could run it out... :(

what I miss about 05 is is dominate pitching. It's the old cliche that pitching wins championships, but I believe strongly in that. I would have rather seen DLS, Gio, Sweeney, and plus some go to Baltimore for Bedard rather then just those 3 for Swisher.

I am willing to give this move the benefit of the doubt. Swisher has shown some real strong power numbers and OBP. But, does anyone esle think we are gutting our farm system by sending so many young promising players especially pitchers away in trades?

QUOTE(Linnwood @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Wasn't De Los Santos the Sox's #1 overall prospect? If so, seems like a lot to give up.

Being the #1 prospect in the White Sox system is a lot like being the best athlete in the special olympics. Compared to the criteria of the White Sox farm system, he may be the best, but where would he rank in a mid to high level famr system?

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jan 3, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
but where would he rank in a mid to high level famr system?

I guess that is what I am asking.

(Also, is the Sox farm system really that bad? I know people like to b****... but like how would one rank it with the rest against the rest of MLB?)

Edited by Linnwood