Crede Minors Question

Harry Chappas

Can Joe Crede be sent to the minors?

I only ask this as the White Sox have two players who can only play third.

If at the end of spring training only one can be sent down, can Joe Crede be sent down without it counting toward free agency (ala Mark Prior last spring)? Then could he be broought up in June or July or be traded to another team and not have free agency status after the 2008 season?

I know this is an expensive AAA player and on a personal level a s*** thing to do but he could be the second best 3B in the organization at the end of spring training if he is not 100%.

He then can prove in his healthy at AAA and cost Fields MLB at-bats. If Crede is not healthy he can prove that at AAA.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
It wouldn't make any logical baseball sense to send Crede to the minors before you would think of sending Fields back down. It wouldn't happen and no reason to even be thinking about it.

Hopefully Fields is on the team at 3rd base, and Crede is on another team possibly with Konerko for a nice package.

QUOTE(Hawkfan @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
This has probably already been addressed but is it possible for crede's trade value to go down because every team knows we have nowhere to play him and we are forced to get rid of him?

Brooks Robinson's trade value only goes up, never down.

QUOTE(max power @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)
Brooks Robinson's trade value only goes up, never down.

Given that right now his trade value is equivalent to the value of a $4.5 million lottery ticket, that's probably true. His value can not go down from here.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 01:35 PM)
Given that right now his trade value is equivalent to the value of a $4.5 million lottery ticket, that's probably true. His value can not go down from here.

Also factor in that Brandon Inge is on the block since the Tigers got MCabrerra. He is not the player that Joe Crede is and he is a $19 million commitment for 3 years but I bet the Tigers will either eat quite a bit of that, or take on somebody else's problem salary player in return.

Its going to be hard to get a lot for Joe Crede.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
I think people will realize Crede is a little better than they think once he is gone, if he is healthy.

Maybe, but he has one year left on his deal, borass as his agent, and josh fields to replace him. May as well get something for him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 05:15 PM)
I think people will realize Crede is a little better than they think once he is gone, if he is healthy.

But I think people will realize we had to part ways with Crede and get what we could with the way Fields came on and hopefully the numbers Fields puts up will make peopel say, yeah thats great for Crede that he is still having a good career, but we are fine with Fields.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 05:45 PM)
I just wish Fields could routinely make plays at 3B that I couldn't make. I guess it's good he isn't Ryan Braun, but damn what a significant defensive downgrade that'd be.

yeah oh well when Crede came up what did everyone say, he had great defense hes gonna get everything, but where the hell is his bat. He got his bat with some experience. Fields comes here with a great power bat, and last season he made some very nice plays at 3B and at other times it was just like damn what was he thinking with that, I think he could be taught some skills at the position to make him better

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Jan 5, 2008 -> 07:00 PM)
yeah oh well when Crede came up what did everyone say, he had great defense hes gonna get everything, but where the hell is his bat. He got his bat with some experience. Fields comes here with a great power bat, and last season he made some very nice plays at 3B and at other times it was just like damn what was he thinking with that, I think he could be taught some skills at the position to make him better

I'm not saying he's not going to improve, but hitting tools are more likely to develop than fielding tools, especially if you hit well in every level of the minors like Crede did. Fields, on the other hand, has been playing professional baseball for several years now and it's not like fielding at the MLB level is much different from fielding in the minors, so I don't expect him to become a significantly better defender although he is pretty athletic. It'd be nice if he did though.

By the way, back onto the original topic of this thread...I think there's certainly 1 way to send Crede to the minors if we wanted to try that. Call it a rehab assignment. Given that he's coming off the 60 day DL I'm sure there's some way to make that work.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)
By the way, back onto the original topic of this thread...I think there's certainly 1 way to send Crede to the minors if we wanted to try that. Call it a rehab assignment. Given that he's coming off the 60 day DL I'm sure there's some way to make that work.

Whats the purpose of it though? Just so we can continue to search for the best offer? That would be the only thing we could do because crede would be pissed off for sure and want to get the hell out of dodge.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 12:32 AM)

I think that is going to be called Spring Training

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jan 6, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
Too many people are underrating Crede's defense. Fields should be in LF or in the minors developing 3B defensive skills.

I'm a big Crede fan and I don't, by any stretch, under rate his defense. But if he won't sign an extension, he's gotta go.