2008 MLB Catch-All Thread

knightni

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Nov 10, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I’m hearing some very strong talk that the A’s just acquired Matt Holliday. Does anyone else have confirmation?

MLBtraderumors.com jsut reported it, according to Jon Heyman from SI.com

• Replies 919
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

More on the M's from Espn.com

Yet Zduriencik, in barely three weeks on the job, has already begun transforming the organization. Scouting director Bob Fontaine -- responsible for the much-lamented decision to bypass University of Washington star and Seattle-area native Tim Lincecum in the 2006 draft in favor of Cal's Brandon Morrow -- was fired. Benny Looper, who had spent 23 years in the Seattle front office, most recently as vice president of player personnel, quit the organization rather than accept a demotion. He is now an assistant general manager with the Phillies. Greg Hunter, director of player development, was reassigned to the pro scouting department.

In their places has come a string of new hires -- Tom McNamara, former Brewers' scout, as scouting director; Tony Blengino, Zduriencik's assistant in Milwaukee, as a special assistant to the GM; Pedro Grifol, promoted from within to director of minor league operations; Tim Tolman, the former Nationals' third-base coach, as director of minor league instruction.

Zduriencik put Blengino in charge of creating a new department of statistical research, a sign that the Mariners are going to lean more on sabermetrics than they have in the past. That came as welcome news to many in the stats-minded blogging community who correctly predicted a negative outcome for many of Bavasi's moves -- including the so-far disastrous trade for Bedard that cost the Mariners several top prospects in addition to All-Star reliever George Sherrill.

Don Wakamatsu, right, takes over a Mariners team that had the worst record (61-101) in the American League last season.

"We want to take all the information at our disposal and combine it with our scouting,'' Blengino told the Seattle Times.

• 2 weeks later...
:25 p.m. — Mets make offer to K-Rod

The New York Mets have made a three-year offer to free-agent closer Francisco Rodriguez, a club official said, but are not optimistic about him taking it immediately.

"All of these agents think there is more out there," the official said. "They're going to be in for a shock." --Gerry Fraley

Rosenthal

I can't wait to see the dollar value.

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (tommy @ Dec 25, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)
Any reason Cubs play their first 4 games against 3 different AL teams?

Is it first time team plays interleague to start the season? Is it a marketing move, they play the Yankees the first weekend, @ the new Yankee stadium.

Those are pre-season games.

Anybody agree with me we, like Obama, need change.

I don't wanna see Paulie, Dye, AJP, Thome plod around the bases again this year. I want one gone. It's time to change don't you think?

We barely escaped Minnesota due to a gutsy 1-0 win at home, then got smoked by the Rays as most expected.

We need change in our lineup.