Octavio Dotel signs with Sox

chisox2334

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
It wasn't the length of the contracts or the guaranteed money that made the O's signings bad, it was because they didn't have much of an offense? So, had the Indians been the ones handing Baez, Bradford, and Walker near $40 million guaranteed, it would have been a smart thing?

You can't build a team, or even a bullpen, through free agency. It's too expensive, and you can't rely on the market to provide what you need every year. The Orioles didn't realize that, apparently. You can add a piece here and there through free agency, however, which is what the Indians would be doing. So, yes. If the Indians signed one or all of those guys to shore up their bullpen (which has been weak in the past few years), it would be trying to make a solid team great. That would be a good move.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(almagest @ Jan 19, 2008 -> 10:19 PM)
You can't build a team, or even a bullpen, through free agency. It's too expensive, and you can't rely on the market to provide what you need every year. The Orioles didn't realize that, apparently. You can add a piece here and there through free agency, however, which is what the Indians would be doing. So, yes. If the Indians signed one or all of those guys to shore up their bullpen (which has been weak in the past few years), it would be trying to make a solid team great. That would be a good move.

Its also what we are doing, as many of our pen arms are through our system or through previous trades.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Little by little, piece by piece. The starting rotation needs to catch lightening. I don't see a way now to bolster the starters without digging a hole elsewhere.

Ervin Santana for Crede/+ would look good about now. Actually, ideally, a Contreras/Crede/Cash deal for a good #3 starter would do wonders.

QUOTE(rockren @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
I very much agree.

me too, especially if macdougal bounces back to his 06 form, and if dotel pitches like he did last year, we could have a very good pen actually....dotel had 41 Ks and 8 unintentional BBs last year in 31 IPs.....thats a pretty darn good indication that he should be pretty good

Well, I've never been a big fan of Dotel, especially as a closer, but at least he doesn't have to close, and he's put up solid numbers in some of the better hitters parks in the league. So on this one, in Kenny and Cooper I will trust.

So, that leaves us with the unenviable task of trading Joe Crede, Juan Uribe, David Aardsma, and Nick Masset to whoever will take any of them.

I like this move, but I'll wait until I see it on the Sox website as a done deal before I get too excited. We already had him signed once last week to find out it was "premature". It's a lot of money to spend on the pen, but the Sox did not get their big free agent Hunter. Instead, KW addressed the glaring bullpen weakness. Linebrink and Dotel may be great or they may flop. At least KW did something. Something had to be done. The Sox are shaping up to be a team that has a shot to win the central. As good as the central is, that is saying a lot. If the Sox flop and Dotel succeeds, they could trade him for something of value.

Edited by 103 mph screwball

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
How much you losing from it? Maybe I am putting too much faith in the organization, but I really doubt the Dotel contract is going to hinder other moves the Sox want to make in the future.

As of right now, it may not hinder any future moves the Sox want to make, but they are putting a good deal of faith in Floyd, Danks, Quentin, and Richar to succeed. If any of them fail, the Sox will have to change their future plans.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
Overpaid (unless there are incentives we don't know about), but I like the signing in general. I have always been a big fan of Dotel's, and if healthy, he can be a top SU man.

"Overpaid" just comes with the territory, these days just about anyone who reaches FA healthy and has above average stats will get a contract worth at least 10 million. That's subjective really. I mean, at the beginning of 2007 people were saying Javier Vazquez was overpaid, same thing about Lilly on the Cubs, but nobody [smart] is saying that now.

Baseball players make a ton of money, that's just how it is. My 1 year old is favoring his left hand, so you'd best believe I'm putting a baseball in there as soon as he learns to grip it.

Good move, don't care about the price. We needed to improve the bullpen instead of trotting out Day, Aardsma, Sisco, Masset, Myers out there to get killed. We now have two guys, who have been dominant before and could very well dominant this year. I'll take guys with good track records rather than no record at all, if we really do plan to contend.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 03:05 PM)
As of right now, it may not hinder any future moves the Sox want to make, but they are putting a good deal of faith in Floyd, Danks, Quentin, and Richar to succeed. If any of them fail, the Sox will have to change their future plans.

If Richar were to not succeed, there's Alexei, Uribe (for now), and Bourgeois. I'm not worried about Quentin at all, but very excited. If he were to be injured again- Owens or Alexei goes to center, improving the defense, adding speed, though the offense takes a hit.

I'm starting to wonder if KW has something up his sleeve involving Bobby Jenks. Jenks is soon to be arbitration eligible. He had a nice streak last year which would make him being sold high. His K rate has decrease each of his 3 seasons. K-Rod, a decent comparison is going to get 8 figures, I don't think KW will want to go anywhere near that with Jenks. Maybe something involving Bedard.

So, ESPN finally has something up, and they seem to be saying that there's smoke but no fire yet.

Right-hander Octavio Dotel is in negotiations with the Chicago White Sox on a multiyear contract.

Dotel hopes to get something done soon.

"We're talking," Dotel said Monday from Miami. "We're working on a deal."

I'm starting to think it isn't official yet.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 04:23 PM)
I'm starting to wonder if KW has something up his sleeve involving Bobby Jenks. Jenks is soon to be arbitration eligible. He had a nice streak last year which would make him being sold high. His K rate has decrease each of his 3 seasons. K-Rod, a decent comparison is going to get 8 figures, I don't think KW will want to go anywhere near that with Jenks. Maybe something involving Bedard.

i would certainly take bedard for jenks...id hate to lose bobby, but if you can get bedard, even with the loss of jenks, i think it would make us serious contenders