Octavio Dotel signs with Sox

chisox2334

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 05:40 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1566653:date=Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:34 PM:name=Heads22)-->
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
<!--quotec-->80-44 w/Pods in 2005

19-19 without.

I got as fed up with Pods as everyone the last couple of years, but it's borderline retarded to say that he didn't have a big effect on that 2005 team.

That is not a scientific analysis.

It seems as though in the years you were fed up with Podsednik, he had a greater impact on our win total (using your method) than he did in 2005. We should get him back from the Rockies and start him no matter what, we would probably take the division.

to be fair, at the start of 2007, he was literally the only offensive highlight for us.

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 06:45 AM)
I seem to recall Erstad had a good start. But it seems so long ago....

I harped on this during the season, and I'll repeat it now. Erstad did not have a good start (aside from the first day, where he had a home run). He hit .261 in April and .266 in May. It only appeared he had a good start because 2/3 of our lineup was hitting around .200 for that first month. He hit .260 but seemed to be doing well because no one else in the lineup was hitting .260 or above.

He did however have a great July. Put up an OPS of 2.000. Dominated. In that one at bat.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)
I harped on this during the season, and I'll repeat it now. Erstad did not have a good start (aside from the first day, where he had a home run). He hit .261 in April and .266 in May. It only appeared he had a good start because 2/3 of our lineup was hitting around .200 for that first month. He hit .260 but seemed to be doing well because no one else in the lineup was hitting .260 or above.

He did however have a great July. Put up an OPS of 2.000. Dominated. In that one at bat.

Ok, settle down. It was a long time ago, like I said, and really...does it matter now?

since this is a thread about dotel and not podsednik, i thought everyone would enjoy this tidbit.

CONTRACT CLAUSE

OF THE WEEK

Octavio Dotel has made 354 consecutive relief appearances over the last seven seasons. But that didn't stop the White Sox from tossing a $25,000 incentive clause into his new deal just in case he's named to be the starting pitcher in the All-Star Game.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Feb 1, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
since this is a thread about dotel and not podsednik, i thought everyone would enjoy this tidbit.

CONTRACT CLAUSE

OF THE WEEK

Octavio Dotel has made 354 consecutive relief appearances over the last seven seasons. But that didn't stop the White Sox from tossing a $25,000 incentive clause into his new deal just in case he's named to be the starting pitcher in the All-Star Game.

That is an odd one. They should add one for Silver Slugger, etc.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
<!--quoteo(post=1566653:date=Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:34 PM:name=Heads22)-->
QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 29, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
<!--quotec-->80-44 w/Pods in 2005

19-19 without.

I got as fed up with Pods as everyone the last couple of years, but it's borderline retarded to say that he didn't have a big effect on that 2005 team.

That is not a scientific analysis.

Year Record when

Podsednik Starts

Record when

Podsednik doesn't Start

Sox Winning %

increase when Pods starts (%)

2005 80-44 19-19 29
2006 75-46 15-26 69
2007 31-25 41-65 43

It seems as though in the years you were fed up with Podsednik, he had a greater impact on our win total (using your method) than he did in 2005. We should get him back from the Rockies and start him no matter what, we would probably take the division.

Neither is that. Correlation doesn't imply causality, and if you really wanted to see Pods's worth, you could just run a regression analysis.

Yeah, I know it's not. I'm trying to point out you can't look at the Sox record with and then without Podsednik to determine his worth to the team. Because in years 2006 and 2007 when Podsednik was playing worse than 2005, we had a larger improvement in our winning percentage in his starts. Which makes no sense.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2008 -> 10:58 AM)

True, not only was everyone else brutal, and Erstad had a league average batting average, but it seems to me he was hitting like .300 with runners in scoring position in the first half. He appeared to be the only guy who could knock in a run.