Octavio Dotel signs with Sox

chisox2334

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 10:45 AM)
I just like add if everyone is worried that dotel signing isnt real just remember Dotel could be out of the country and might have visa problems or who knows whats else.

Yes, but it also means that it isn't official yet. I believe the Sox had an agreement with a player a few years ago and he wound up taking a better offer.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 10:59 AM)
Why does everyone hate MacDougal? He had a bad year last year but there were like 4 Whitesox that didn't. He was lights out in 2006 and has been alot healthier than Dotel.

I like the signing, but you can never have too many bullpen arms.

agree about macdougal 100%...people forget how good he was in 06 and even in 05 with the royals...he had a rough 07 but he has the potential to bounce back

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 11:49 AM)
Ick. 2 years and $11 million for this guy? I could be proven wrong, but my initial reaction is "Ick".

its quite a bit of money, but it aint my money...and 5 mil is basically the going rate for an average player these days...i would have rather it been 1 year with an option, but good god its better than the 4 year deal we gave linebrink

We guaranteed a 2nd year at $5.5 mil? I don't believe this contract until it's posted on the Sox website.

I have no problem with $5.5 mil this season as we wouldn't have spent it on anything else anyways, but next year when the FA crop is much much better? Horrible if true.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 09:17 AM)
Option 1, while possible, does nothing for the Sox - the team doesn't need more outfielders. Option 2 will never ever happen. And Option 3 would be an awful trade for the Sox.

Option 1 doesn't do much for the Brewers either, unless Braun is moving positions.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 09:16 AM)
We guaranteed a 2nd year at $5.5 mil? I don't believe this contract until it's posted on the Sox website.

I have no problem with $5.5 mil this season as we wouldn't have spent it on anything else anyways, but next year when the FA crop is much much better? Horrible if true.

To be fair though...this year's FA crop looked better than it wound up being as well. Things like the signing of Mark Buehrle, Jermaine Dye, Vernon Wells, etc., took several big money guys off the market, at least 1 big guy (Jones) had a horrible season, and you had the Yankees spending big money to keep their 3 guys from moving on also.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 12:16 PM)

Kenny may be figuring that Konerko or Thome will be gone next year, so $5.5 million isn't too bad when you figure that in. Also know that Crede and Uribe will definitely be gone next year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 11:18 AM)
To be fair though...this year's FA crop looked better than it wound up being as well. Things like the signing of Mark Buehrle, Jermaine Dye, Vernon Wells, etc., took several big money guys off the market, at least 1 big guy (Jones) had a horrible season, and you had the Yankees spending big money to keep their 3 guys from moving on also.

That's true, but even factoring that in, it's still going to be a better class than this year's was.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 12:21 PM)
Kenny may be figuring that Konerko or Thome will be gone next year, so $5.5 million isn't too bad when you figure that in. Also know that Crede and Uribe will definitely be gone next year.

plus cabrera could be gone which would be another 8 mil off the books

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jan 18, 2008 -> 11:21 AM)

Nothing like taking the money of all-star players and giving it to an injury riddled 34 year old middle reliever. The way this money is being spent is baffling me.