Octavio Dotel signs with Sox

chisox2334

I would have liked to have signed Jason Jennings for the rotation, but obviously KW has confidence in the current rotation.

Whether that's a good thing, I don't know.

I'd still like to offer Konerko + Crede + MacDougal for Figgins, Willits, Kendrick, Speier and Santana.

Whether I'm asking for too much, well maybe, but I think something like that would really solidify key areas (although we lose some power in Kong).

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, the only pitcher I am banking on for us to be at least decent (ERA less then 4.5, not get knocked around every other time out) is Vazquez. Buehrle, maybe, but he has to show me he has made some changes from late last season. We really need one Floyd and/or Danks to step up big time.

At this point, I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather have Garland over Cabrera.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
If Linebrink and Dotel step it up next year and Thorton-Macdougal rebound and Wasserman and Logan continue to get better than we could have one of the best pens in the league... good signing!!

Which really could help the rotation this year too. If Vaz goes back to his old ways of 5 and done, then our depth will help out. Not to mention with Danks/Floyd still being questionmarks with Contreras right there with them, we may need to depend on the bullpen alot more this year. That may be fine if these guys can go into the 6th inning without imploding too much, for we seem to have a lot of depth now.

QUOTE(bigruss22 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 04:43 AM)
Which really could help the rotation this year too. If Vaz goes back to his old ways of 5 and done, then our depth will help out. Not to mention with Danks/Floyd still being questionmarks with Contreras right there with them, we may need to depend on the bullpen alot more this year. That may be fine if these guys can go into the 6th inning without imploding too much, for we seem to have a lot of depth now.

That is why an addition of Colon can't hurt anything.. . If that doesn't happen i would LOVE it if KW makes a strong push for Bedard. What its going to cost? probably a lot... probably more than we have.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 09:07 PM)
Not too ruin a good mood, but I'll give you 3 reasons not to get too excited:

1. Contreras

2. Floyd

3. Danks

3 more:

Twins

Indians

Tigers

but what the hell, at least the sox are doing something. I do feel like they're putting off re-building by one more year, but given that they won a championship three years ago, I understand the need to try and re-tool vs. re-build at this point. But there are some good guys to start building around and that for me is exciting. I'd like to see Cabrera signed long term so he can be one of those transitional veterans. Buehrle will be one on the staff, which is great.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 09:05 PM)
Love it. I'm actually starting to get excited about this team, that scares me.

1. Contreras

2. Floyd

3. Danks

Assuming Buehrle is his usual self and Vazquez pitches as well as he did in 2007 and not 2006, one of those 3 needs to step it up to pitch 200 + innings and 15-17 wins. The other 2 have to fall in the 10-12 win category with close to 200 IP.

Bob

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 11:07 PM)

1. Contreras

2. Floyd

3. Danks

Assuming Buehrle is his usual self and Vazquez pitches as well as he did in 2007 and not 2006, one of those 3 needs to step it up to pitch 200 + innings and 15-17 wins. The other 2 have to fall in the 10-12 win category with close to 200 IP.

Bob

I don't think we'll see Danks or Floyd near 200 IP, and it's probably a good idea. Not because they are young and we want to protect them (although that is a good reason as well), but because those 30 or so extra innings are likely to be poor performance innings. If both can average 5.2 IP per start (~170 IP) their overall numbers should be a lot better compared to trying to stretch them an extra inning. Hand it over to the bullpen in the 6th/beginning of the 7th and be very happy.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 10:55 PM)
It definitely is but a lot of bullpens have a ton of ifs, that's the beauty of a pen I guess you can say. I really like the depth we seem to have in the pen now, we have some nice options.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad the organization dug into their pockets to attempt to fix the bullpen.

Whether it works or not...I applaud the effort and appreciate it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 11:37 PM)
To be honest, the only pitcher I am banking on for us to be at least decent (ERA less then 4.5, not get knocked around every other time out) is Vazquez. Buehrle, maybe, but he has to show me he has made some changes from late last season. We really need one Floyd and/or Danks to step up big time.

At this point, I'd MUCH, MUCH, MUCH rather have Garland over Cabrera.

Your concern for Buehrle puzzles me. He's been great his entire career, has a bad season, rebounds with another great season, throwing a no-hitter in that time, and you think he might post a 4.5+ era? Take his late season struggles with a grain of salt. He had nothing to play for post-season wise, got his contract, and had a kid during the season. Give him a break. He's a real person too.

I found this interesting piece from a Pirates blog about the signing and some other stuff;

-P- The White Sox have signed Octavio Dotel to a two-year, $11 million deal. Dotel is 34 and he's not nearly as good as he was when he and Billy Wagner were dominating the late innings for the Astros. And more importantly, I have no idea what planet Kenny Williams' head is on. His big moves this offseason have been to deal Jon Garland for Orlando Cabrera, trade his entire farm system for Nick Swisher, and drop $30 million on a pair of aging relievers (Dotel and Scott Linebrink). If the Sox were in the NL Central, Williams' plan to sneak into the playoffs by crapping all over the Sox' future might just work, but they aren't. They're in one of the best divisions in baseball, and the Sox won 72 games last year - signing Alex Rodriguez wouldn't have gotten them into the playoffs. Acquiring Dotel isn't the worst move that's been made this offseason, but it doesn't make any sense, and it's not going to make the Sox better in 2009.

UPDATE: It occurs to me that the "crapping all over the Sox' future" might be a little unfair. Christina Kahrl has argued very passionately (subscription only) that acquiring Swisher was a future-oriented move for the Sox, but I don't agree. The Sox gave up a high-upside arm in Faustino de los Santos and another good one in Gio Gonzalez for Swisher. While Swisher is signed to a very favorable contract, I don't see his skill set - lots of strikeouts, lots of walks, low batting average, power - as one that's likely to age all that well, particularly in a few years when Swisher slows down and has to move to first or DH. If he hits .255, he's an asset, but if he dips to .235, he's a problem. And in the meantime, if the Sox don't have anything in their farm system, how are they going to contend against the Indians or White Sox before 2011 or so?

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jan 22, 2008 -> 12:49 AM)
I've very much against giving away MacDougal.

I'm with ya. If someone is actually willing to give up something for him then I'd all be for trading him but I'd rather keep him around and hope he bounces back than to just give him away.

News on Colon from Yahoo!:

Hot-stove embers

• Righthander Bartolo Colon, a former Cy Young winner, appears to have gambled and lost with his decision in 2005 to try rehabilitation rather than surgery on a torn rotator cuff. According to several scouts, Colon threw poorly both in the Dominican Republic winter league and during workouts for interested teams. Colon's fastball had no life, reports say. That cooled the interest of clubs such as the Cleveland Indians and New York Mets. ...