Yep, I'm going to suggest it.

rowand's rowdies

Patterson was 4th in the AL in stolen bases. I know Owens is fast as well, but, he can't steal if he's not on base. Patterson might like to come back to CHI to stick it to the Cubs and make them sorry. He seems like that type of guy.

Weaver, if less than 3 million and 1 year, why not? He can pitch at times, and might be ok with a full offseason to fix that tired arm. Not real excited about him, but Colon is not the answer. I'd rather give Weaver a try. Well, I'd rather not give him a try, but we may need it. What other options are there? Livan? Matt O'Connor? Rodrigo Lopez? Not too good.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)
Patterson was 4th in the AL in stolen bases. I know Owens is fast as well, but, he can't steal if he's not on base. Patterson might like to come back to CHI to stick it to the Cubs and make them sorry. He seems like that type of guy.

Weaver, if less than 3 million and 1 year, why not? He can pitch at times, and might be ok with a full offseason to fix that tired arm. Not real excited about him, but Colon is not the answer. I'd rather give Weaver a try. Well, I'd rather not give him a try, but we may need it. What other options are there? Livan? Matt O'Connor? Rodrigo Lopez? Not too good.

Neither can Patterson. OBP of .304, .314, .254 the past 3 seasons. Yuck.

in no way am I suggesting he lead off, as you could check in my post in starting lineup. he would be the 4th OF. He was hitting in a pitchers park I believe in Baltimore for a team that sucked. The players didn't even want to play there. He did struggle at the end of his Cubs career, but that was a lot of the pressure from the Cubs fans and coaches. Why not give him a chance at a low pressure situation, hitters park, with a chance to stick it to an old club? His obs may be lower than Owens, but don't tell me his ceiling isnt higher.

ya, 3.5-4 is a little too much. I guess if he would do 2.5 or less for 1 year, I would like the signing. I'm just saying he is better than Owens, and like I said, he might like to come back here, with a chance to get some time (Quentin off injury, Swisher backing up 1b, Dye injury prone) and in a hitters park with no pressure. If no Patterson, I won't feel jilted at all. Just saying.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 07:26 PM)
Other than power, $, and arm strength, I don't see what Patterson does that is superior to Owens who has improved each year when he was in the minors and during his second stint here.

You can stick Patterson in all 3 outfield spots. Owens can only play 1, maybe 2. My dog has a better arm then him.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 07:29 PM)
You can stick Patterson in all 3 outfield spots. Owens can only play 1, maybe 2. My dog has a better arm then him.

Have you seen Corey's range? Not to mention his average arm. I thought about range for Corey, but... no.

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 07:01 PM)
in no way am I suggesting he lead off, as you could check in my post in starting lineup. he would be the 4th OF. He was hitting in a pitchers park I believe in Baltimore for a team that sucked.

Camden is a pitcher's park? Since when?

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)

Well I think enough people have ripped the Corey part .. so lets rip the Weaver part now! ... No do not sign him at all. Id rather take JC(if you even count him in on this), but I would take Danks and Floyd well over Weaver. The best of Weaver came in the players in 06 with the Cardinals and thats it. He had potential as a kid and that did not pan out. I think we are more then fine with Danks/Floyd and I think the management is too. Colon is only really high on are list cuz well because of his past and because of the "relationship" that all Hispanic players have with Ozzie. Could you imagine Weaver with Ozzie haha that would last maybe 2 starts before he went back to JC/Danks/Floyd

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jan 20, 2008 -> 09:30 PM)
Yea I didn't want to say below average. Thought I'd be generous. Corey does have his moments.

Patterson is a much better defensive CF than Owens... I'd call Owens average at best. Bad instincts which are mitigated by plus speed make average range. But he throws like a girl.

Patterson would be a decent #9 hitter though. When he was in Baltimore (I went to several games) they'd periodically try him at the top of the order and he'd suck, but in the 9 hole with no pressure he's pretty good and he has very good speed to boot.

anyone who suggests that anyone who suggests Weaver doesn't know Sox history well does not know sox history well. did that make sense? We have a catcher now who there was a lot of bad blood with for a long time. Also, there was a CF we went after pretty hard this offseason who had bad blood with us for a long time. There are other smaller examples. It's a business, don't forget that. $ is what talks.

Edited by rowand's rowdies

QUOTE(rowand's rowdies @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
anyone who suggests that anyone who suggests Weaver doesn't know Sox history well does not know sox history well. did that make sense? We have a catcher now who there was a lot of bad blood with for a long time. Also, there was a CF we went after pretty hard this offseason who had bad blood with us for a long time. There are other smaller examples. It's a business, don't forget that. $ is what talks.

I suppose that is true but I do not think JR wants to give any of his money to Scott Boras. Pick an Arn Tellem client instead.

Comparing Weaver to AJ is apples to oranges. AJ was an asshole on the field, and still quite frankly is, but there was never the bad blood between AJ and the Sox; Weaver was drafted by the Sox in the 2nd round and didn't sign, so there's that, and then he participated in the 2000 brawl. I don't recall the details of that, but I seem to remember reading he played a pretty significant role in it. And he has Boras on his free agent; have the White Sox ever signed a Boras client who was a free agent? I know they were close to signing Kenny Rogers a couple years back, but that never materialized, and he ended up joining the Twins in a pretty dick move (I seem to remember the Sox were going to sign him for $3 mill, and then someone backed out, so that part is fuzzy, but then he signed for like $2 mill with the Twins).

Weaver will never sign with the Sox.

Why am I the only one who hears a suggestion that we should think about Jeff Weaver who thinks "You know, I'm not sure, but I really don't think that I'd give any money for a veteran pitcher who last year went 7-13, put up a 1.53 WHIP, and a 6.20 ERA, at least until one of our pitcher's arms falls off. And that's assuming some sort of terrorist attack on our minor league affiliates.

I'd rather have one of our young guys put up those numbers instead of Jeff Weaver. At least they'd have a chance at getting better if they were getting experience, and they'd cost $400k this year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 21, 2008 -> 06:08 PM)
Why am I the only one who hears a suggestion that we should think about Jeff Weaver who thinks "You know, I'm not sure, but I really don't think that I'd give any money for a veteran pitcher who last year went 7-13, put up a 1.53 WHIP, and a 6.20 ERA, at least until one of our pitcher's arms falls off. And that's assuming some sort of terrorist attack on our minor league affiliates.

I'd rather have one of our young guys put up those numbers instead of Jeff Weaver. At least they'd have a chance at getting better if they were getting experience, and they'd cost $400k this year.

I'm sure you're not the only one that hears it, but the only one that will comment on it. Honestly, it's not worth a serious response.

Edited by YASNY